Tethering?

I never said that.I'm just saying that they're not going to do anything if you're using it for minimal use.if you're going to cancel you're home internet plan and rely on tethering then it's likely you're going to get caught.but I use more data on pandora than when I tether.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Used 33GB or so in December 2010, no charges or anything. Relax, guys, it's Verizon, not the IRS.

Nowadays it is real easy to reach about 5 gig even with no tether. Streaming music while at work everyday for 8 hours. I can download files from any website just as I could from any computer. Streaming tons a video from youtube and other sources. High consumption of data is getting to the point where soon 4G will be a must for most users in the near future.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

I just read something about an HTC EVO (on Sprint) and the person said he had found a FREE APP that allowed him to tether --- e.g. when he was in a hotel and didn't want to pay $10 or more per day for internet service.

I am fairly new to the Droid world. My Droid X is NOT rooted and I do not plan to root it.

Can anyone tell me if there is such an app available for my Droid X? Or even a low cost APP? Anything would be better than paying Verizon an additional $29 a month. dancedroid

Ahhhhh? Really? Unless homeland security wants to know or if the CIA is outside your house, ya should be fine. Verizon will never have the right to investigate where your data goes or how it got there.

DX Liberty 1.5 ftw!

Verizon can definitely investigate the data usage of someone, If they think it's being used illegally. Though i have only ever known of 1 case where they did anything about it though. But they do have the right to check into it.

They can look all they want, but Google would
have to give them access to your download history. Which I doubt would happen without a court order.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

If you're tethering you're using Verizon's network. What does Google have to do with it?

I just read something about an HTC EVO (on Sprint) and the person said he had found a FREE APP that allowed him to tether --- e.g. when he was in a hotel and didn't want to pay $10 or more per day for internet service.

I am fairly new to the Droid world. My Droid X is NOT rooted and I do not plan to root it.

Can anyone tell me if there is such an app available for my Droid X? Or even a low cost APP? Anything would be better than paying Verizon an additional $29 a month. dancedroid

PDANET would allow you to tether (wired) without root. You can download this in the market for a onetime fee. If you want wireless tether than you have to root and download wireless tether.

You can use the free apps linked to in my signature, assuming you're rooted. If you're not rooted then you're limited to Wired tethering for free, via PDA Net, Easy Tether, and Proxoid IF it's still available and compatible with your device AND you're comfortable setting up proxies on your PCs.

if you're going to cancel you're home internet plan and rely on tethering then it's likely you're going to get caught.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

And do you have any proof of this or is it just a feeling? I've been doing exactly what you said here for about 10 months now....still haven't ''been caught''

This is the problem with this issue is people spread rumors and hearsay like ''if you use it for home inet, then its likely you will get caught'' with absolutely nothing to back it up. Show one instance of this ever happening in the year and a half that droid has been out....

Sent from my Droid 2 while driving. Thankyou Tapatalk

It all depends on what you're doing while tethering. Verizon is far more permissive as long as you don't draw attention to yourself than other carriers. Having said that, let's keep things on-topic here, thank you. :)

see that's not true either... because that assumes that casual tetherers wouldn't be getting hit for bigger bills and people who abuse tethering do. And there simply hasn't been ANYBODY been hit.... big users or small users.

Year and 1/2 and noone can produce any proof whatsoever. Just lots of speculation, some people hoping I get caught so they can say "I told you so" and lots of scare tactics but nothing else.

OK, lets move off the subject of stealing from Verizon and talk about tethering. There is a difference.

OK, lets move off the subject of stealing from Verizon and talk about tethering. There is a difference.

Huh? Where do you draw the line between 'just tethering' to when it becomes 'stealing'?

Seems pretty vague to me. And who decides? You? Verizon?

I could get on board w/verizon deciding, but judging by all the pricey bills, cancellations and EFTs people are having....I'm under the impression that no matter what the amount.... its not stealing

I believe what was meant was...stop talking about the morality of it.
It just leads to arguments.
Sent from somewhere...

Huh? Where do you draw the line between 'just tethering' to when it becomes 'stealing'?

Seems pretty vague to me. And who decides? You? Verizon?

I could get on board w/verizon deciding, but judging by all the pricey bills, cancellations and EFTs people are having....I'm under the impression that no matter what the amount.... its not stealing

you most probably wont ever get caught, but if you've convinced yourself that it's not stealing you're clearly exhibiting signs of pathological lying...to others and to yourself. It's stealing no matter how you want to look at it...whether you get caught or not is irrelevant. I for one don't think you'll ever "get caught", but it's kinda strange that you have told yourself it's not stealing over and over to the point that you now believe it....

@ Jcolt
@ furbearingmammal

Thank you both for your response. I will look into these apps. I appreciate your help.

Back