Thinking of making the switch from Droid Incredible

Hey, fair enough. Not saying I enjoy it, just saying every time I've plugged in a smartphone for the first phone, all of the ones listed in my thing including the Inc2, a little message pops up saying "installing drivers." Occasionally it fails, but I've never had it fail with any device where it then still didn't work.

Just interesting to me cause I can't consider this a change. If you didn't have to for your Inc then more likely than not you had another HTC phone before that, so the drivers were already installed. And it's all automatic, and only takes a few seconds, so no input required. And no phone is more strict about their drivers than HTC. See now I just want to know how you've never had to install any drivers, because you can ask most users here...it's just a common smartphone practice. By "special drivers," all they're saying is if they didn't auto install, then you have to go to the website to get them. Which is a hassle, but is a rare occurence...

My first smartphone ever was the Droid Incredible. I had it for 2 years. It was the coolest phone I ever used. Then the dreaded low memory bug, it was tolerable though. I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S3. It was a little different.

The UI was not hard to get familiarized with at all. I did miss the friendstream widget, but found third party replacements. The S3 comes with 2gb of RAM, this keeps everything running smoothly. I have the 32gb version, and from what I understand there is no more low space error possibilities. The S3 has ICS which allows you to disable apps that you don't want running, ie bloatware apps. Although with all the RAM it really isn't an issue for me.

All the other goodies that Samsung has added to the S3 has made this phone a giant leap in surpassing the capabilities of the Droid Incredible. If HTC is a must then the Incredible 4G has these basics ICS options, but for a little more money you get a lot of extras with the S3. The camera was a vast improvement. I am glad with my decision to get the S3.

I read on the post that some had annoyances with USB drivers. I never use usb as there are wireless options to move files from smartphones to your pc. S3 comes with a great app that gives you two way access from your pc to your S3. It works over wifi and 3G/4G, meaning you can access files on your pc when your away from home.

I hope this is helpful.

By "special drivers," all they're saying is if they didn't auto install, then you have to go to the website to get them. Which is a hassle, but is a rare occurence...

And that is the key difference with my S3 over my DINC.
My S3 has never autoloaded on any computer I have attached to. I have always had to go to the website and it is a time consuming hassle. Most of these workstations don't have wi-fi and a few don't have internet connections. With the latter, I have to go to another station, download the driver, transfer to USB drive, copy from USB to the PC then install.
Yes, I realize that most people can't imagine a computer that is not connected to the web, but these are old work stations in a variety of places that really don't need to be connected to anything but a piece of equipment.

It appears that everybody else's S3 auto-installs the drivers directly from the phone. To date, mine has not.

I have had trade offs with each of my phones.

I like the S3 more than all other smart phones I have had since my first Windows OS phone in '08.
If I can figure out how to get it to autoinstall the drivers on a PC, I will be even more pleased.

Back