Thunderbolt vs Droid Bionic

Here is my .02. Motorola basically started the whole Droid thing off. Amazing to me their comeback after the Razr days when I thought their cell division was going to go bust. HTC has made some nice phones in the past. I think that they are resting on their laurels and hoping that people still buy into their previous efforts. Motorola continues to be a forward thinking company. Both the Atrix and the Bionic are imho hands down, superior devices to the HTC iterations. Add to this equation, the Xoom tablet and please tell me why Motorola's devices won't continue to be the benchmark standard? Oh, and make them rootable too please!! :)

I see what your saying but really everything is personal opinion at this point in the game. Regardless of who started it there are many game players today and in turn suits many different people for different reasons. Im not going to buy a phone based on the past or because motorola was once the best company. The fact is the game changes so much that there is no 1 best company they all do this very well. For me the moto blur is the worst UI ever, its obnoxious, slow and down right ugly. I prefer HTC sense, obviously and for me it works the best and i think htc makes better quality phones. Again its all personal preference and then again there are those that say LG is the best and i will admit their new phone is looking to be a great contender. And as far scores go htc is pushing the best at this point.

Jedi, you are totally correct. There really is no "best" in the industry and we are all entitled to our opinions. I was merely voicing mine. With regard to MotoBlur, it really is not my favorite UI. That's why I root my devices. Poof, it's gone. Best of luck in your decisions, whereever they may lead you. Just for the record, I am still waiting to see what the LG may offer as well. Just WAY too many choices out there. It's like going to BestBuy and looking at a wall of gorgeous TVs. Oh the indecision of it all!

Lol very true. I hate shopping for a TV because really they all look so good. And as far as rooting, i dont like doing that, even though i rooted my old DX. I just like to have something nice out of the box where i can focus on other things. I am however an iPhone Jailbreak fanatic lol as it allows me to put HTC Sense on it lol. In any case android is better than iOS ( again personal opinion ) but it really is lol.. I know that dual core is the "NOW" in mobile technology, but i dont really care. I dont play games on phone, i just text, watch youtube videos, take pics/videos and browse the internet on occasion. I do love having the updated weather right there on my screen, because im a biker i need to know the weather constantly and that is where HTC shines for me. But really either of these phones will be outdated in 6 months so were already at a losing battle lol..

I see what your saying but really everything is personal opinion at this point in the game. Regardless of who started it there are many game players today and in turn suits many different people for different reasons. Im not going to buy a phone based on the past or because motorola was once the best company. The fact is the game changes so much that there is no 1 best company they all do this very well. For me the moto blur is the worst UI ever, its obnoxious, slow and down right ugly. I prefer HTC sense, obviously and for me it works the best and i think htc makes better quality phones. Again its all personal preference and then again there are those that say LG is the best and i will admit their new phone is looking to be a great contender. And as far scores go htc is pushing the best at this point.

Jedi, you are totally correct. There really is no "best" in the industry and we are all entitled to our opinions. I was merely voicing mine. With regard to MotoBlur, it really is not my favorite UI. That's why I root my devices. Poof, it's gone. Best of luck in your decisions, whereever they may lead you. Just for the record, I am still waiting to see what the LG may offer as well. Just WAY too many choices out there. It's like going to BestBuy and looking at a wall of gorgeous TVs. Oh the indecision of it all!

Lol very true. I hate shopping for a TV because really they all look so good. And as far as rooting, i dont like doing that, even though i rooted my old DX. I just like to have something nice out of the box where i can focus on other things. I am however an iPhone Jailbreak fanatic lol as it allows me to put HTC Sense on it lol. In any case android is better than iOS ( again personal opinion ) but it really is lol.. I know that dual core is the "NOW" in mobile technology, but i dont really care. I dont play games on phone, i just text, watch youtube videos, take pics/videos and browse the internet on occasion. I do love having the updated weather right there on my screen, because im a biker i need to know the weather constantly and that is where HTC shines for me. But really either of these phones will be outdated in 6 months so were already at a losing battle lol..

Great retort. 6 months? Really? You giving it that long? What an optimist you are! dancedroid

Me personally, I'm thinking of the HTC, but i'm a little skeptical to get into a two year contract w/ old tech. I think the phones are going to be very similar in speed.

I might as well wait for the Quad Core

"Tegra 3 supposedly started sampling in Q4 2010 and is rumored to be announced next month at Mobile World Congress. If NVIDIA reveals Tegra 3 in a couple of weeks, then surely they are already shopping it around to their customers and it could arrive in products by the end of the year.
So yeah. Quad-core Android phones by Christmas. Any takers?"

oh yeah, and I want the 3d capabilities too. I want a pair of glasses when I buy my phone, so I can watch movies in 3d on my 4.3 in display

Quad-core Android phones will be in stores by Christmas – Android and Me

With that said, I just want a new phone. I'm sick of waiting. Looks like a 1 year contract is in my near future.

Quad core? Ugh. You know what I want? I want a freaking smartphone which performs decently (notice I didn't say scores highest in Quadrant) and gives me 24-48 hours on a charge, and 4G.

I am going to see what the initial impressions on the Atrix are so I can decide if I wish to wait for the Bionic. Originally I wanted the Bionic most, but I think the thunderbolt is a decent contender too. I'm not sure how much the newer Snapdragon proc will help it over the EVO, but it cannot hurt.

I'm on Verizon and am not planning on changing over to AT&T anytime soon.. I tend to like making phone calls on my phone.. having said that I'm a bit miffed about the castration of the Droid Bionic aka Motorola Atrix, Only difference is the drop from 1gig ram to 512mb ram. Someone want to explain this one to me?

I know HTC has their fan boy club and their haters. In my time I've rooted HTC's and Droids.. Dont much care... but I loath Sense UI. They are very simular in nature.. I like the idea of dual core processors making for longer battery life. No idea what I would ever user HDMI out for... but the gimmick and option, seems nice. 8GB of more memory...

I WANT the Atrix, I'll probably GET the Bionic.

Why does Verizon do this? I'll never know.

In order to run Linux on Atrix's dummy $500 laptop dock, it needs the other 512 MB of its RAM

Verizon dodged a bullet by not having this in my opinion. You can go and buy a real netbook for $500.

Now about TB vs Bionic. Umm for me this is a no contest. I mean 1Ghz dual core Tegra 2 vs Qualcomm 1Ghz. Same screen size. Bionic has HD video capabilities (don't think TB does correct me if I'm wrong). The only big difference is RAM in my opinion. Even though Bionic has DDR2 RAM, no matter how much better your RAM is, that doesn't increase capacity. So with TBs 768 they win RAM :D

This is just hardware of course. Motorola bloating their phones is a different story. But I never had a problem with that. :D

Me personally, I'm thinking of the HTC, but i'm a little skeptical to get into a two year contract w/ old tech. I think the phones are going to be very similar in speed.

I might as well wait for the Quad Core

"Tegra 3 supposedly started sampling in Q4 2010 and is rumored to be announced next month at Mobile World Congress. If NVIDIA reveals Tegra 3 in a couple of weeks, then surely they are already shopping it around to their customers and it could arrive in products by the end of the year.
So yeah. Quad-core Android phones by Christmas. Any takers?"

oh yeah, and I want the 3d capabilities too. I want a pair of glasses when I buy my phone, so I can watch movies in 3d on my 4.3 in display

Quad-core Android phones will be in stores by Christmas – Android and Me

With that said, I just want a new phone. I'm sick of waiting. Looks like a 1 year contract is in my near future.

Based on the leak of the map of Tegra 2 3 and 4, I'm guessing it will be 2012. Tegra 2 was supposed to be released by Q4 2010 on that map lol.

did you guys read the cnet review of the HSPA+ speed on the Atrix?

As we experienced on the HTC Inspire 4G, we didn't get the most impressive speeds from AT&T's HSPA+ network. Using Ookla's Speedtest.net app to measure and record network speeds, we averaged download speeds of around 1.40Mbps and upload speeds of 0.18Mbps

Read more: Motorola Atrix 4G Review (AT&T) - Smartphones - CNET Reviews

As we experienced on the HTC Inspire 4G, we didn't get the most impressive speeds from AT&T's HSPA+ network. Using Ookla's Speedtest.net app to measure and record network speeds, we averaged download speeds of around 1.40Mbps and upload speeds of 0.18Mbps

so tmo 4g= vze 3g

I just got 1.2 download speeds

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

so tmo 4g= vze 3g
I just got 1.2 download speeds

Atrix = AT&T, but yeah. I'll wait a bit longer for VZW.

BTW, what the heck does "The holidays are not afraid of the boss comes." mean in your sig?

Motorola i would say are the pioneers and my Droid is awesome. So I would go with the bionic. Although the thunderbolt will be a really nice phone

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

I have an x, but going with the thunderbolt. I cant wait to hear all of you who have voted for the bionic complaining about the locked bootloader! I have called and emailed motorola and told them no more moto phones for me until they start listening to their customers and give us what we want, not what the think we should have!

dancedroid

I have an x, but going with the thunderbolt. I cant wait to hear all of you who have voted for the bionic complaining about the locked bootloader! I have called and emailed motorola and told them no more moto phones for me until they start listening to their customers and give us what we want, not what the think we should have!

dancedroid
I have a Nexus S. The unlocked bootloader is nice, but if it wasn't for needing support for connecting to my D1's ad hoc hotspot, I would never have left the stock ROM. Root is enough for me.

Back