To me, the Pandora audio quality seems fixed in official FRG22D

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
My apologies if this has already been posted and discussed -- I searched for a fresh topic since FRG22D hitting and didn't find any.

I was one of the people who was sorely disappointed by FroYo basically destroying the quality of Pandora on my Droid 1. I listen to Pandora quite a bit and right after putting on the original FRG22 leak (not the more recent FRG22D leak) the quality went from great to garbage. Fortunately once I changed the "media.stagefright.enable-http" property to "false" it fixed it 100%. Now I've just upgraded to FRG22D (stock, rooted) and of course it replaces build.prop so my "media.stagefright.enable-http" went back to "true". I've been listening to Pandora (via 3G, not WiFi) on my phone for the last 2 hours on a pair of decent Sennheiser headphones and to me Pandora still sounds great.

I know the folks at Google identified the issue and fixed it, but I wasn't of the impression that they fixed it before FRG22D was locked down.

Maybe it's a fluke, but it sounds great to me at the moment. We'll see if my opinion changes after I use the phone in the dock while connected to my car stereo.

How about everyone else?

its weird i never had a problems with Pandora and 2.1 and now with 2.2 still no problems.

My apologies if this has already been posted and discussed -- I searched for a fresh topic since FRG22D hitting and didn't find any.

I was one of the people who was sorely disappointed by FroYo basically destroying the quality of Pandora on my Droid 1. I listen to Pandora quite a bit and right after putting on the original FRG22 leak (not the more recent FRG22D leak) the quality went from great to garbage. Fortunately once I changed the "media.stagefright.enable-http" property to "false" it fixed it 100%. Now I've just upgraded to FRG22D (stock, rooted) and of course it replaces build.prop so my "media.stagefright.enable-http" went back to "true". I've been listening to Pandora (via 3G, not WiFi) on my phone for the last 2 hours on a pair of decent Sennheiser headphones and to me Pandora still sounds great.

I know the folks at Google identified the issue and fixed it, but I wasn't of the impression that they fixed it before FRG22D was locked down.

Maybe it's a fluke, but it sounds great to me at the moment. We'll see if my opinion changes after I use the phone in the dock while connected to my car stereo.

How about everyone else?

I do believe it was fixed by google. This is from cvpcs' (Sapphire) changelog over at github:
"Re-enabled stagefright player [cvpcs] (thanks google)
A recent check-in to the froyo source tree has fixed the audio
issues some were experiencing in stagefright, specifically with
AAC+ and eAAC streams. Thus I have synced the fix and re-
enabled stagefright for media playback."

its weird i never had a problems with Pandora and 2.1 and now with 2.2 still no problems.
There wasn't an issue in 2.1. It was a bug in "stagefright" in the initial 2.2 release. Which 2.2 are you running?

I do believe it was fixed by google. This is from cvpcs' (Sapphire) changelog over at github:
"Re-enabled stagefright player [cvpcs] (thanks google)
A recent check-in to the froyo source tree has fixed the audio
issues some were experiencing in stagefright, specifically with
AAC+ and eAAC streams. Thus I have synced the fix and re-
enabled stagefright for media playback."
Google definitely fixed it - the commit for the fix is here. The "commit" was June 29th and the FRG22D that was in the OTA was built "Fri Aug 13 12:05:00 PDT 2010", so I guess they had time to get it in there. Obviously I'm happy about it. I hadn't looked at the build date of the FRG22D package and didn't realize it was built as late as it was (giving them time to get that change into the build).

Has anyone played Pandora or Slacker through a real stereo yet? When I went from 2.1 to 2.2 FRG01B, it sounded like garbage. I just went to FRG22D a day or so ago and haven't noticed a difference. But I haven't plugged it into my car stereo yet to see. It still sounded like the bass was missing. I was under the impression that the stagefright fix was coming later officially. Non-root here.

Finally! Testing right now. Unfortunately I don't have my Shures at work and just a crappy pair of headphones. Sounds a lot better but something seems to be missing, could just be my imagination though, or my headphones.

Mine sounds like crap! I am rooted running BB V0.4. Froyo2.2. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Well, it may have seemed fixed, but it's not. I just did a back-to-back comparison using the demonstration files from the original Google Issue #9308.

I put ESE81 on my DEV Droid 1 and FRG22D on my other. Then I listened to the clips using a good set of amplified speaker with subwoofer. On ESE81 the highs are perfectly crisp at all volumes and all of the tones are clear. On FRG22D, most of it sounds good, but the highs have a discernible distortion (like a buzz of sorts). Then I flashed FRG01B (the original 2.2 with the issue) on the DEV Droid (the same one that was perfect with ESE81). Then that phone sounded just like the FRG22D phone. I even disabled all "stagefright" options in build.prop on the FRG22D phone and it did not make the issue go away.

The distortion is quite mild and without another reference (like an ESE81 phone playing the exact same clip) you might think that's just the way that song sounds. In an HTTP stream the quality might even be low enough already that it doesn't matter at all and its only exposed when listing to a very high quality clip from a FLAC source (like the example clips in the bug report).

Anyway, if FRG22D does have "the fix" in it (I'm not sure how to tell at the moment) then the new sound processing isn't as good as ESE81 even with the bug fixed.

Last edited:
I knew a positive comment thread couldn't possibly last too long, but I didn't think it would be the OP to put the hammer to it.

Well, it may have seemed fixed, but it's not. I just did a back-to-back comparison using the demonstration files from the original Google Issue #9308.

I put ESE81 on my DEV Droid 1 and FRG22D on my other. Then I listened to the clips using a good set of amplified speaker with subwoofer. On ESE81 the highs are perfectly crisp at all volumes and all of the tones are clear. On FRG22D, most of it sounds good, but the highs have a discernible distortion (like a buzz of sorts). Then I flashed FRG01B (the original 2.2 with the issue) on the DEV Droid (the same one that was perfect with ESE81). Then that phone sounded just like the FRG22D phone. I even disabled all "stagefright" options in build.prop on the FRG22D phone and it did not make the issue go away.

The distortion is quite mild and without another reference (like an ESE81 phone playing the exact same clip) you might think that's just the way that song sounds. In an HTTP stream the quality might even be low enough already that it doesn't matter at all and its only exposed when listing to a very high quality clip from a FLAC source (like the example clips in the bug report).

Anyway, if FRG22D does have "the fix" in it (I'm not sure how to tell at the moment) then the new sound processing isn't as good as ESE81 even with the bug fixed.

Wow, great work! I thought it sounded a bit off compared to before. Hopefully they get it back and comparable to before, whatever that requires.

I knew a positive comment thread couldn't possibly last too long, but I didn't think it would be the OP to put the hammer to it.
Ah well. I tried to be positive. The evidence just didn't bear it out.

Back