Unknown reason -18, dling app

meepstone

Reaction score
I have like 5 apps that will not install. It gets to installing... then installation unsuccessful. If I click to see why it says unknown reason -18. I tried googling it but found nothing. Any help? I'm on a droid 1 running newest BB.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Try going to settings, SD card storage, then click the unmount SD card tab. You don't have to take the card out. Now try and download an app. If it downloads and installs you can go back and remount the card. Hope this helps...

I just started getting this error message as well. I was able to update one application this morning but have several more that say there are updates available but can't complete the process. Might it have something to do with whether they are currently on the SD card or is this maybe a memory issue? Can you tell me why unmounting the SD card might work and why I never had to do this before?

I just answered my own questions. The apps that were giving me the trouble were instaleld on the SD card. If I just unmounted the card and did the update, when I remounted the card the updates did not appear to take, it said they still had updates. I moved them back to the phone and they updated just fine.

Last edited:
No need to clear the ROM or reset your phone.

Simply do this solution to resolve the issue; You need to delete one file: /sdcard/.android_secure/smdl2tmp1.asec. Either put your microSD into a card reader and delete the file or connect your phone to your pc and remove the file. Works like a charm and the error will not return. :)

No need to clear the ROM or reset your phone.

Simply do this solution to resolve the issue; You need to delete one file: /sdcard/.android_secure/smdl2tmp1.asec. Either put your microSD into a card reader and delete the file or connect your phone to your pc and remove the file. Works like a charm and the error will not return. :)

Can you explain exactly what deleting the file does? I am always nervous about doing things like that with out knowing why. I think the error message shows up because we are trying to update an app that has been moved to the sd card. I could be wrong, but I think the app gets split into pieces. Cardio Trainer is the one it happened to me most recently. Before moving to sd card it said the app is 8.44MB. After moving it says 3.48MB. I tried to update the app and got the error. When I moved it back to the phone, it updates no problem.

The file appears to have been erroneously added and not removed during the last Market app update. This is the likely source that resulted in the tmp file. The secondary is Google Goggles app but less likely. If you are unsure about removal, for now simply add the characters like 'delete' or 'EVAL' to the filename temporarily. (ie smdl2tmp1EVAL.asec) This will do the same thing and fix the problem.

Back