Webtop Mod for Ubuntu

Lol I was going to answer your post but you did before I had a chance. I'm glad its working for you.

I am having an interesting issue... I can mount USB thumb drives (and SD cards in an adapter), but when I try to unmount them, I get an error. Have you gotten this? And can you mount external hard drives?

So I couldn't get busy box to install in /system/etc/webtop2SD. Out of curiosity I used a root explorer app to look for the destination only to find that it doesn't exist. Any suggestions?

I had already installed a custom OS. I am running kin3tx. Aparently it already had installed Busybox. I had found a reference to changing the permissions and, when I went there, it was already done. You also might not see it if you are looking with the lapdock. Are you looking with Terminal Emulator in the phone?

Paramax: are the thumb drives and SD cards in Fat32 format or NTFS? NTFS is designed for windows and might not work properly with lynix... I could be wrong, but I haven't had any issues with my drives.

Darkstarsinner: Despite the fact you are from Ohio, I will try to help. This might be a dumb question, but you have webtop2sd installed and running right? If so make sure your root explorer app has root access and isn't just a basic file explorer. Also, I used the busybox by stephen (not jrummy16), I don't know if that will make a difference or not, but give it a shot. If none of that helps, check your webtop2sd app, toggle diagnostics tab and see if the mount executable version is webtop2sd. If it isn't then you didn't install webtop2sd properly. If it is then check your root explorer, can you find your system/etc folder? If no then your root explorer isn't finding your root folders properly. I used the actual root explorer app when doing this. Hope that helps a little.

Last edited:
The SD card was formatted in the phone. I can read it and unmount it just fine in the actual phone's SD slot. It's just when I use it from the linux side. It was also fine before I did the Webtop2SD and the mbm hack and added the xfce desktop. I'm not sure about the external drive, though. It is possible that it could be ntfs. Have you tried to read an external hard drive formatted fat32?

So I couldn't get busy box to install in /system/etc/webtop2SD. Out of curiosity I used a root explorer app to look for the destination only to find that it doesn't exist. Any suggestions?

well, i had the same problem doing all this for the first time on both Eclipse 3.0 (bionic) and the .905 leak. what i did, that worked, was using es file explorer (a valuable tool for free in the market) was click my menu button, click the root explorer button, click the button to mount the file system, navigated to /system/etc and clicked +new folder and named it webtop2sd. then i installed busybox with jrummys busybox installer to my custom location /system/etc/webtop2sd . I realized after i did this the folder was created elsewhere, but i don't remember where. it all worked though. just trial and error messing with the webtop2sd app *(and clicking the menu button to get diagnostics and advanced tabs) the toyomoya or whatever it is folder, you manually have to rename because it just makes the toyo folder with theoretically the same contents. all works well, though. hope my ramblings help. anyone figured out a way to change the framerate for video yet? hbo go looks like crap on firefox even with all the faster browsing tweaks i found.

Just got this working in stock rooted .905 and it is awesome so far! Anyone know a fix for the glitchiness in openoffice? I've disabled anti aliasing in the options, so i can at least see the menus along the top, but none of the icons draw correctly and it makes my top notification bar disappear and come back repeatedly. Anyone else have this problem. Hope this is a coherent post. I should have gone to bed a few hours ago lol.

@Stewinashoe, I never did find a solution for the icons.

I did get my 500gig external drive to mount. I had so mount it manually with ntfs-3g. First, I had to make a directory to mount it in to. I picked /media/Seagate since that's what my laptop defaults to. The command was: sudo mkdir /media/seagate. Then I mounted the drive to that directory: sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/webtop/sda1 /media/seagate. Of course your system might be different and your hard drive might be in a different place than /dev/webtop/sda1. You can find that with disk tools.

If you undock the toolbar the icons show up. The only thing then I'd you need to deal with floating toolbars.

well, i had the same problem doing all this for the first time on both Eclipse 3.0 (bionic) and the .905 leak. what i did, that worked, was using es file explorer (a valuable tool for free in the market) was click my menu button, click the root explorer button, click the button to mount the file system, navigated to /system/etc and clicked +new folder and named it webtop2sd. then i installed busybox with jrummys busybox installer to my custom location /system/etc/webtop2sd . I realized after i did this the folder was created elsewhere, but i don't remember where. it all worked though. just trial and error messing with the webtop2sd app *(and clicking the menu button to get diagnostics and advanced tabs) the toyomoya or whatever it is folder, you manually have to rename because it just makes the toyo folder with theoretically the same contents. all works well, though. hope my ramblings help. anyone figured out a way to change the framerate for video yet? hbo go looks like crap on firefox even with all the faster browsing tweaks i found.

tried doing the same thing now that i'm on eclipse 3.0, but still for the life of me cannot get busybox installed. i created the folder manually then used jrummy's app as well but it keeps failing with the error that every version i try is not compatible with my ROM.

what version were you able to get to install on eclipse and did you syslink apps?

EDIT: the exact error i'm getting is:

"Installing BusyBox v1.(whatever..tried 1.20.1, 1.20, 1.19, 1.18, everything) failed.

We have detected that your system cannot function with this version of busybox.

Please try installing a different ROM or fixing your system.

Error:

reloc_library(1313): 4767 cannot locate 'android_reboot'...
CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE"

Last edited:
If you're not married to eclipse... I'm using kin3tx on 904 and it aparently had busybox already installed because webtop2zd said it didn't need to install it and I ve been able to install Openoffice, Filezilla, Remmina, and GIMP...

unboostedzc;[URL="tel:2141917" said:
2141917[/URL]]tried doing the same thing now that i'm on eclipse 3.0, but still for the life of me cannot get busybox installed. i created the folder manually then used jrummy's app as well but it keeps failing with the error that every version i try is not compatible with my ROM.

what version were you able to get to install on eclipse and did you syslink apps?

EDIT: the exact error i'm getting is:

"Installing BusyBox v1.(whatever..tried 1.20.1, 1.20, 1.19, 1.18, everything) failed.

We have detected that your system cannot function with this version of busybox.

Please try installing a different ROM or fixing your system.

Error:

reloc_library(1313): 4767 cannot locate 'android_reboot'...
CANNOT LINK EXECUTABLE"
j

I got the same error, but when i clicked the diagnostic tab in the webtop2sd app (menu button, diagnostics tab) it showed a Y on
custom busybox installed. also, i think i toggled the mount system option in ES file explorer back. i didn't click any options like syslink or whatever. the diagnostics tab showed what i was looking for after a reboot. webtop2sd as my mounted webtop, and a Y for custom busybox. I then did the mbm.tar push via ADB. get-apt worked, etc.. so im pretty sure it all worked right. right now, im just staying on stock webtop hoping a port from the razr's webtop 3.0 will surface soon. as long as you create the folder /system/etc/webtop2sd beforehand, and set it as the custom install location (must be the newest version of jrummys busybox installer) it should work the same for you. i left the settings toggles as the were from the initial install of the busybox installer app, aside thefrom location. i also noticed in the advanced tab, the disable toyomoyo or whatever option is set, but it doesn't work. you have to go in and manally rename that folder if it matters to you. i tried my setup either way and it worked the same. the busybox install in webtop2sd doesn't seem to work right though. sorry to ramble, but im trying to be specific without missing any details. good luck.

Last edited:
Okay, i have a 32 gig sandisk card, and im on stock 905
The app (2.0.1) force closes as soon as i push on it, but it still gets granted su permissions...

At what point in the process are you? Did the app install? Are you trying to install the app and it closes? Are you rooted?

Back