weird notification, never seen before..help appreciated

JDMDC2

Reaction score
so, yesterday I started receiving this notification

cap201005261118.jpg

(FOR some reason my image keeps getting deleted???? heres the direct link.... http://img689.imageshack.us/i/cap201005261118.jpg/ )

and its really starting to piss me off! I have no new messages, and don't even know what message its referring to.. whenever I get a text message it used to just be the green smiley face (stock messaging) and other messages such as gmail would show the red envelope.. but now when I get a text this notification pops up, and the green dude doesnt..but even when I open the message, or pull down notification bar this notification still shows.. the only way I can get rid of it is if I restart the phone, but as soon as someone texts me it pops right back up and stays..

could someone help point me in the right direction?? its really annoying lol

background information:
moto droid :motdroidhoriz:
bb v.1
o/c 1ghz
smoked glass

Last edited:
Do you have any other email accounts? Looks like an email account to me (yahoo, hotmail, msn, etc.)

Do you have any other email accounts? Looks like an email account to me (yahoo, hotmail, msn, etc.)

unfortunatly, no.. infact I deleted all the stock email apps except gmail..
the only other program I am running like this is google voice, but I checked and there are no new messages, and I even went ahead and deleted all messages but still no luck :(

deleted google voice, no help..

when I click on the notification it sends me to the text message inbox, but all of my messages are read(opened)

does anyone have any clues??

I am actually also getting the stock text message notification aswell as the generic notification thats posted above.

when I open the new text the stock message notification goes away, but the other one just stays until I restart the phone :huh:

clear the cache of gmail (i believe its possible under apps in system settings) or if youre rooted clear your phones cache with cache cleaner or from the recovery console.

try restarting the phone?

yeah it goes away when I restart like I said above, but if I get a new text message it will come back along with the stock txt message notification

clear the cache of gmail (i believe its possible under apps in system settings) or if youre rooted clear your phones cache with cache cleaner or from the recovery console.

for some reason gmail doesn't show up in the section of installed apps (settings->apps->manage apps)

yeah Im rooted, and I use CacheMate, but that didnt help either

Check drafts? Or other folders, maybe you accidentally put a new message in an other folder.

For it to show up in the apps list you have to hit menu -> filter -> all

oooh, thats cool. thanks I never knew that..
but unfortunatly clearing the cache from that didn't help

Check drafts? Or other folders, maybe you accidentally put a new message in an other folder.

yeah I though it could be so that so I deleted all drafts, but thats not the case either.

For it to show up in the apps list you have to hit menu -> filter -> all

oooh, thats cool. thanks I never knew that..
but unfortunatly clearing the cache from that didn't help

No prob, it may be a glitch like I get occasionally with the market. Whenever something fails to download the downloading icon stays in the notification area and they build upon themselves, Ive had up to five persistant arrows there. If I hit clear they go away until I open up the market again and download something then they re-appear.

I haven't narrowed it down to whats causing it but I know it resides in /data because it happened first when I was on CM and I decided to wipe and figured that would get rid of it. I flashed BB and restored /data via CWM and it came back! I just found out a few days ago that a backup and restore of apps using Titanium Backup doesn't "copy over" the error as CWM does. That tells me it doesn't reside in either /data/app, /data/app-private or /data/data, I gotta narrow it down further.

Do you have more then one messaging app installed? It kinda sounds like you might have a 3rd party app that is tossing up notifications, I had a similar issue when I first installed Handcent before I forgot to turn off the stock messaging notifications.
Especially since it's happening across ROMs... Could you clarify a bit more what you mean by your comment about Titanium Backup?

Back