What regular maintenance do you do to keep your phone running the best?

There is a self maintenance which seems to occur by default, rebooting itself whenever it feels like. Nifty bit of programming if you ask me, and it ties in to the default customer service response of resetting your phone to factory defaults with every call.

ok - just kidding there. most of the issues seemed to be caused by the blur homescreens and the indexer process, once I was able to use an alternate launcher and stop those processes the D3 has been maintenance free.

How much does free RAM affect the "lagginess" of the phone? If I am averaging 75-95 MB of free RAM, could I be seeing a smoother phone by trying to increase that?

Unlikely, the OS keeps some things in memory to reduce load time and it frees-up that memory as more space is requested by running apps. So unless you are running several high memory apps at the same time, memory should be the least of the issues you need to pay attention to.

I don't do anything really.... I used ATK on my DROID Inc. And had it go every half hour on crazy.... it was good... now on my droid3 I don't have it auto kill... and it works fine... droid3 does have a task manager that works very well. I have a widget I use to kill apps when I know im doing alot so before I put it down I kill everything and that seems to be working well

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

I reboot mine once a day, normally in the morning. I know everyone says the android will free up ram when its needed but I always find(maybe just in my head) that its faster when the ram is already free. Through the day I find even when I'm freeing ram(by MANUALLY killing tasks) eventually the amount I can get is lower and lower. The reboot makes it snappy again

Sent from my rooted xt860

I reboot mine once a day, normally in the morning. I know everyone says the android will free up ram when its needed but I always find(maybe just in my head) that its faster when the ram is already free. Through the day I find even when I'm freeing ram(by MANUALLY killing tasks) eventually the amount I can get is lower and lower. The reboot makes it snappy again

The task killer isn't needed really, just use your back button to exit apps and the OS will take care of the rest. I DO recommend rebooting once a day though and I'm rooted so I use Cache Mate when I've been using my phone a lot.

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

The task killer isn't needed really, just use your back button to exit apps and the OS will take care of the rest. I DO recommend rebooting once a day though and I'm rooted so I use Cache Mate when I've been using my phone a lot.

This thread has been Thunder struck!!

I do use cache mate, I just find it easier to home button and kill with my task manager widget(I use go launcher, which has a handy dandy widget for it). I've learned some apps will just relaunch, so I lock them and they don't even show up in task manager. Some apps like the browser require multiple backs to exit. Easier my way

Bad misinformation on the first page. Clearing "cache" is not like "deleting a game gave" and you don't start over with the app, and you don't lose stored passwords. That is absolutely FALSE. I clean my cache routinely with History Eraser with the click of 1 button, and never re-enter my passwords. You are confusing the start over with "Clear Data" which Clears all the data you have added or entered to an app, and any updates or additional data the app has downloaded. Clearing cache, just clears temporary info within the app, that allows things in the app to load/appear faster next time you access them, such as pictures, and different bits of text and info. If you go to your Facebook app under Manage applications you'll have 1 button that says "Delete/Clear Data" and one that says "Clear Cache." The cache as I said, is the junk files, and clearing it, will not require you to re-enter your PW. If you clear data however, you will have to re-enter all your info. With facebook it is good to do a "Clear Data" once every few months because the facebook file seems to grow constantly, and its good to flush it out every once in a while.

+1

You saved me a bunch of typing, thanks. But yea,clearing cache is not the same as clearing data. I hadn't thought of clearing FB data, might have to. Think about doing so.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Back