Whats the difference between a blue 4G icon and a gray one?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1324692752545.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1324692752545.png
    236.2 KB · Views: 528
Blue images are named fully in the app. At least in gb it was...pretty sure it hasn't changed. Notice typically when u switch... its gray. It turns blue later I believe when its "fully" connected.

This is correct

When the signal bars are grey you have no connection. When they are blue you do.

If you're in a tough connection area like me it means more battery drain because it's trying to get a signal.

I realize the actual 3g and 4g icons turned green in GB, along with the signal bars... the whole "fully" file name thing; God knows I replaced enough framework and systemui icons over the past year... :biggrin:

However I also know that every pic I've seen in every screen shot thread across multiple forums, including the 15 pages here, show both the 3g and 4g icon gray every time. The signal bars themselves turn blue when you're connected to Google services. I have no idea how or why the icons would turn blue.

Do u think that that could be a reason for battery drain even with an extended battery? Should I just wait for the update or call verizon now and see what they can do?

A HA MOMENT!!! This COULD be the reason for the battery drain and if they fix it will go away?? That would be great news!
DancingNexus

If your Android devices service icons change from white to blue (or green, for older Android versions), the blue mean that your Google services, if you have any, are logged on and sync'd to the Google servers. If you don't have Google services -- like Gmail, Play, etc. -- or your services are not currently connected/sync'd with the Google servers, then the icons are white.

Searching Google for the blue/white icon finds explanations in user guides for several straight Android devices. For example; the Droid Razr user guide (pg. 10) says that, "Blue connection status icons (network, data, Wi-Fi) appear when your smartphone is synced with your Google™ account. White connection status icons appear when your smartphone is not communicating with the Google servers."

This doesn't seem to hold for non-pure (if you will) Android devices, like Kindle Fire. Not so close a binding to the Google services

If your Android devices service icons change from white to blue (or green, for older Android versions), the blue mean that your Google services, if you have any, are logged on and sync'd to the Google servers. If you don't have Google services -- like Gmail, Play, etc. -- or your services are not currently connected/sync'd with the Google servers, then the icons are white.

Searching Google for the blue/white icon finds explanations in user guides for several straight Android devices. For example; the Droid Razr user guide (pg. 10) says that, "Blue connection status icons (network, data, Wi-Fi) appear when your smartphone is synced with your Google™ account. White connection status icons appear when your smartphone is not communicating with the Google servers."

This doesn't seem to hold for non-pure (if you will) Android devices, like Kindle Fire. Not so close a binding to the Google services

On GB they turned green, the RAZR is on GB it's just themed to be blue. I have never seen 3G or 4G turning blue on ICS. I think a lot of people are getting the whole "blue signal" messed up with the actual voice bars turning blue when you are connected to Google servers. This is just my 2 cents though. I have yet to see a screenshot of a blue 4G or 3G icon though.

On GB they turned green, the RAZR is on GB it's just themed to be blue. I have never seen 3G or 4G turning blue on ICS. I think a lot of people are getting the whole "blue signal" messed up with the actual voice bars turning blue when you are connected to Google servers. This is just my 2 cents though. I have yet to see a screenshot of a blue 4G or 3G icon though.

Wow.

NotifyBar.JPG

The Droid RAZR is on Gingerbread, and it's themed with motoblur, they use blue for the signal. Not even the ICS RAZR screenshots show the 4G being blue.

Hey Durangdir,

There is no doubt that you are a god-of-all-that-is-the-real-deal. We bow before you.

If your point is that I should have said "other" rather than "older" in my post, you are correct. I apologize that my misspeaking has caused your virtual panties to knot.

You're correct that other versions of Android use green to indicate the Google-data-sync condition. Indeed, that is why I included the "green" comment at all.

But the topic of this thread is a question about "blue 4g icon", hence my focus on that color. The matter of Droid Razr being OEM "themed" blue isn't really relevant because the original question here is about Galaxy Nexus and its blue or gray 3G/4G icons.

I referenced the Razr user guide because, unfortunately, the Nexus manual does not expressly mention the Google-data-sync condition indicator. Happily, a search around the Googleverse can find lots and lots of OEM connection status icons that use white[gray]/blue instead of white/green. Even screenshots! :happy3:

Hey Durangdir,

There is no doubt that you are a god-of-all-that-is-the-real-deal. We bow before you.

If your point is that I should have said "other" rather than "older" in my post, you are correct. I apologize that my misspeaking has caused your virtual panties to knot.

You're correct that other versions of Android use green to indicate the Google-data-sync condition. Indeed, that is why I included the "green" comment at all.

But the topic of this thread is a question about "blue 4g icon", hence my focus on that color. The matter of Droid Razr being OEM "themed" blue isn't really relevant because the original question here is about Galaxy Nexus and its blue or gray 3G/4G icons.

I referenced the Razr user guide because, unfortunately, the Nexus manual does not expressly mention the Google-data-sync condition indicator. Happily, a search around the Googleverse can find lots and lots of OEM connection status icons that use white[gray]/blue instead of white/green. Even screenshots! :happy3:

I think you are missing the point still XXPepper, firstly yes many OEMs theme android signals blue, its the most common. Still they are GB. ICS does not turn these signals blue at all. That's the point. 3G and 4G simply never turn blue on the Gnex. Ever. They stay gray. Again the RAZR on ICS has not shown those bars turning blue but signal indeed will.

Referring to OP, when the indicator changes colors (to blue for most GB+ non ROM'd devices), it is because your phone is showing it is in communication with google services.

From my BIONIC running Eclipse 2.2 Red Carbon

Referring to OP, when the indicator changes colors (to blue for most GB+ non ROM'd devices), it is because your phone is showing it is in communication with google services.

From my BIONIC running Eclipse 2.2 Red Carbon

Exactly, thank you there will be some indication of some sort on anything GB+ on ICS only the signal bars turn blue. No 3G or 4G changes.

Back