Tethering Hack

dmg

Reaction score
I know about the tethering hack for the droid 3, It seems pretty complicated and I'm debating trying it however I have a question.
If I were to restore my phone to stock for example if i had an issue and had to go to verizon (i'm currently rooted) would the tethering Hack be noticeable or is that something that is undone with the restore?
Thank you for any assistance

DX2222

Reaction score
How is the hack done...im rooted and currently running stock havnt flashed any roms yet

pyro6128

Reaction score
The hack is not nearly as complicated as it seems. Its actually dead easy. I was a bit hesitant at first too. Basically if you can read directions and know how to copy and paste, you'll be done in 10 min, if that

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

TheBadGuy

Reaction score
Quick question, after rooting cant you just use the wireless tether ap for rooted users? Wouldnt that have the same resaults or is it void for the droid 3? I used to use it on my old d1 and now have a d3 which i just rooted a few minutes ago with stock rom. :biggrin:

OP
D

dmg

Reaction score
Quick question, after rooting cant you just use the wireless tether ap for rooted users? Wouldnt that have the same resaults or is it void for the droid 3? I used to use it on my old d1 and now have a d3 which i just rooted a few minutes ago with stock rom. :biggrin:

It's different on the droid 3, verizon modded the radio to make all traffic coming from a computer/tablet/other wifi device be noticeable as a device other than your phone. The tethering hack rewrites those values on the radio so it shows up in verizon systems that every data request is coming from your phone.
However once you have modded the radio you are able to use the wireless tethering app if you so choose but i just use the mobile hotspot app that was preloaded on the phone, might as well use some of the bloatware

matthskim

Reaction score
It's different on the droid 3, verizon modded the radio to make all traffic coming from a computer/tablet/other wifi device be noticeable as a device other than your phone. The tethering hack rewrites those values on the radio so it shows up in verizon systems that every data request is coming from your phone.
However once you have modded the radio you are able to use the wireless tethering app if you so choose but i just use the mobile hotspot app that was preloaded on the phone, might as well use some of the bloatware

I did do the TBH tehering hacking. I am using the Mobile spot. I am wondering if there is a way to verify that the tethering hack is working as intended, meaning it is not registered at Verizon as data through regular mobile hot spot.

OP
D

dmg

Reaction score
I did do the TBH tehering hacking. I am using the Mobile spot. I am wondering if there is a way to verify that the tethering hack is working as intended, meaning it is not registered at Verizon as data through regular mobile hot spot.

If you aren't getting re-directed to a page requesting for you to pay for the tethering plan than it is working.

matthskim

Reaction score
Can anyone, by any chance, post a screenshot of the page? I do see a screen once I start, but I am not sure if that is it.

Thanks.

OP
D

dmg

Reaction score
Can anyone, by any chance, post a screenshot of the page? I do see a screen once I start, but I am not sure if that is it.

Thanks.

To post a screenshot of that page I would first have to undo the tethering hack that i performed. Someone that hasn't done the hack yet and doesn't pay verizon for tethering would have to post it. However as long as you followed the directions for the hack then you should be fine.

matthskim

Reaction score
To post a screenshot of that page I would first have to undo the tethering hack that i performed. Someone that hasn't done the hack yet and doesn't pay verizon for tethering would have to post it. However as long as you followed the directions for the hack then you should be fine.

I know.

Thanks.

Edit: BTW, I did not mean my request for the page to you.

josh80

Reaction score
Ok my question to the DROID 3 tether hack is after you successfully modify and can now tether free and everythings working fine what should I run my network setting on global or coma?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

mikedyk43

Reaction score
Ok my question to the DROID 3 tether hack is after you successfully modify and can now tether free and everythings working fine what should I run my network setting on global or coma?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

I suppose that depends on what country you are in. If you are in the U.S. and on Verizon then you won't be using anything other than CDMA unless you go outside of our borders, but I suppose if you were in another country, you wouldn't have asked this.

Side Note: When I installed the last OTA update, it reset my radio back to its original configuration and I had to do the hack over again. Thought I would throw this out there.

josh80

Reaction score
Ok since I done the tether hack it works great no problems the but its been 3 or 4 days now and it seems like I have had a single app update at the market im wondering if that tether hack disabled my updates in the market it shows up in my taskbar updates available but when I go to the market there's no updates can anyone shed some light on this

Josh's DROID 3