Tethering Hack

zachjen

Reaction score
Droid 3, WinXP, RadComm 11.11.11,MotoHelper 2.00.53, Motorola USB Driver 5.02.53, CDMA 1x (MSM 7500) w/ Android, USB-PST USB Driver

I have been trying to do this and I can't get RadComm to fully recognize my phone. The green dot in the upper RH corner turns green but the box to the upper left of that doesn't turn green and fill up with information. Is it ok to proceed without these or not. what could be the problem? Thanks

josh80

Reaction score
Do you have your phone set to pc mode when connected?

Josh's DROID 3

josh80

Reaction score
And NO you can badly mess up your phone the box has to be green there are a few walk throughs for this I dnt have the links but you have to follow the instructions to the T

Josh's DROID 3

zachjen

Reaction score
Do you have your phone set to pc mode when connected?

Josh's DROID 3

Yes and using a Motorola branded cable to connect it. Also I have tried it with another WinXP computer and also another Droid 3. All give the same result.

josh80

Reaction score
I used windows 7 and had no problem with radiocomm 11.11.11 and updated the motor drivers to the newest update I don't really know maybe its a problem with radiocomm and vista or xp not real sure sorry I couldn't help you id try radiocomm 11.11.11 on a windows 7 system I didn't have any problems that way

Josh's DROID 3

Shimmy549

Reaction score
Same problem here. I get the green light, but no sw version when I click "get." I decided to put that endeavor on hold until someone could confirm that it would be safe to proceed from there. The author of the aforementioned article did say that calling the software version was a "test" to ensure that the phone was recognized by the program. It certainly SEEMS to be, but I'm holding off for now.

By the way, Win7 only produces three of the errors that the author encountered with Vista (using XP Service Pack 3). Everything was going fine until I checked for the sw version.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Shimmy549

Reaction score
I know what I did wrong. You have to choose tab P2K 1 for the sw version to show. I should've figured that out sooner. I read somewhere that the P2K 1 tab is the only one that seems to communicate with the D3.

I guess I know what I'll be doing after work tomorrow.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
Yes, apps like Barnacle and Open Garden won't work for us anymore. Verizon can figure out whether your phone is using its data or another device is using your phone's data (a laptop, for example), even if you're rooted.

The RadioComm hack hides the identity of the device that's accessing the data. Google "TBH inspired free wireless tethering hack." Basically, you need to change a few values within the program. It's a pretty cut-and-dry process, but you REALLY don't want to make any careless mistakes. You'd be rewriting things on your phone and could eff it up pretty bad.

If you want to try the hack, don't deviate from the instructions.

yahyaisrael

Reaction score
However once you have modded the radio you are able to use the wireless tethering app if you so choose but i just use the mobile hotspot app that was preloaded on the phone, might as well use some of the bloatware

Yea, I just use the Mobile Hotspot as well and works great. I'm using the Liberty ROM and this already has the hack. I'm so glad I have this now. I don't need it all the time. But I like to have it available when I need it.

joseyjos

Reaction score
Hey all,

Ok, so I believe I have followed the instructions to a T. I get the green dot when I connect, BUT, I do not ger the test to come back with my information. I press "get" next to the sw and I do not get anything back. I have done everything else, pc mode. THe right chip set number. seems like I have done everything correct. Anyone else have any ideas to help me with? Thanks in advance

J

Shimmy549

Reaction score
You need to chose the P2K 1 tab. That's the tab that communicates with our phone. The main GUI screen doesn't, so the sw version won't show up when called.

Shimmy549

Reaction score
Yeah, the hack is easy. The biggest dangers are carelessness and underappreciation of what the program does to the phone.

If you think you can play with the RadioComm settings and just do a wipe to fix your mistakes, you'll probably be sorry. If you follow the directions, you'll be fine.