VZW Upgrades

dtdlurch

Reaction score
If you upgrade and currently have the old unlimited data plan, will you lose it? Anyone know?

bullswife98

Reaction score
No, I had Droid1 three days ago and took my upgrade and got the Razr. Unlimited data prior, unlimited data still. As long as you had a smartphone before the cut off your good, its the good ole grandfather claus

Sent from my DROID RAZR

nleksan

Reaction score
No, I had Droid1 three days ago and took my upgrade and got the Razr. Unlimited data prior, unlimited data still. As long as you had a smartphone before the cut off your good, its the good ole grandfather claus

Sent from my DROID RAZR

That cut-off being, I believe, June 7, 2011? Or was that when it was announced?

Either way, there was some point at June/July this year at which, if you didn't have the $29.99/month Unlimited Data Plan for your Smartphone, it stopped being available. Now, to the best of my understanding, you are "Grandfathered In" to your unlimited data, thus so long as you do not change your plan or go from a smartphone to a "dumb phone" or anything like that, you will continue to receive unlimited data.

Also, the $29.99/month that you're paying is for "Unlimited Data", not "Unlimited 3G", and there is no difference in their system, apparently, between going from, say a HTC Incredible to a Droid X2 (both 3G) or going from a Droid 1 to a Galaxy Nexus (3G to 4G). You will retain the unlimited data, and if anyone at the VZW Store tells you otherwise, I would suggest speaking to a manager and telling them that their salesperson is lying to you.

However, regardless of whether you have 2GB/mo, 4GB/mo, 10GB/mo, 20GB/mo, or Unlimited/mo... You are still subject to having your data "throttled", in which your data speed will be cut back rather sharply. It really sucks that they do this, and even though I can understand why (at least theoretically), I greatly disagree; it is a blatant middle-finger towards Net Neutrality, and if Verizon can "take possession of the Internet", no doubt DSL/Cable/Fiber/etc companies will start to do the same.

I've had unlimited data since ~March'10, I believe, and the most I've used in one month was 52GB of data, the least has been 192MB of data, and I average exactly 4.75GB per month (Pandora, Movies, etc). For the past year or so, I've noticed that when I hit 2.125GB in a month, almost to the byte, I go from ~1.75Mb/s down, which is pretty darn good, to about 500-750KB/s down. I've tested this numerous times, at varying times of day, such as 9AM, 11AM, Noon, 2PM, 5PM, 10PM, 3AM, etc... I'm very consistent and keep an Excel sheet of date/time/temp/humidity/signal-strength(dbi)/towers connected-to/ping/download-speed/upload-speed/etc/etc/etc... I wanted to see what was going on, and I don't keep up with it anymore, but I can tell when the throttling kicks in. (I'm lucky; my house is in a neighborhood that, while in a suburb, falls right in the middle of the 3-tower triangle so those speeds are at home, with GPS/Sync/WiFi turned off, and with full-bars)

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
My primary line has always came up as available for early upgrade after 12 months. No new every 2 discount though. That part of the discount didnt kick in until 20 months.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

All primary lines use to be upgradeable annually but unfortunately this is the last year for annuals along with NE2.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Lodingi

Reaction score
Hmm. My wife's upgrade date is 02/12. I'm surprised she hasn't gotten an early upgrade considering some here have later dates.

Sent from my Blackberry Charge using Tapatalk.

bigkhan

Reaction score
As of right now throttling is only on 3G, if thats what you want to call it. Verizon calls it something different. Anyway for now it does not effect 4G. I use a bit of data also and have never noticed the speed difference. Im currently 17 days into my billing cycle and just over 10.5GB

proangler

Reaction score
I think a lot of people r unaware that u can upgrade early for $20 bucks, u don't get ur new every 2 discount if ur in a contract and soon to get one but this has been going on for 6 months atleast if this is what ur talking about.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Only bad thing about that is you have to go to Verizon store, you can't do it at Costco.

proangler

Reaction score
Well for any of you with upgrade issues just add a line for 9.99 a month and ban you have new upgrade and every year you can get new phone just switch the number after get phone. We have 4 lines every year we can upgrade twice.

azules9780

Reaction score
Well for any of you with upgrade issues just add a line for 9.99 a month and ban you have new upgrade and every year you can get new phone just switch the number after get phone. We have 4 lines every year we can upgrade twice.

God that sounds expensive!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

bigkhan

Reaction score
Extra $10 a month, length of the contract means $240.00 if you like having the newest phones. It well worth it. Since your going to upgrade that line after 20-21 months = $200-$210. How much do you save buying the phone at upgrade price, rather than retail, $300-$350? So your still saving money. The extra you do pay is spread out and you can upgrade every 10 months or so.

OP
natezire71

natezire71

Reaction score
Take advantage of it.

Heck yeah I will. Made a deal with the devi... er, my dad. Gonna buy the Nexus asap, pay him back by the end of this month. Being 17yrs old and having a job has never felt so good. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Whaaaa? Really? I thought as soon as you upgraded to a 4G device you lost the Unlimited Data, and were immediately thrown on the Tiered Plans? Tell me I'm wrong.

mightybrick

Reaction score
Heck yeah I will. Made a deal with the devi... er, my dad. Gonna buy the Nexus asap, pay him back by the end of this month. Being 17yrs old and having a job has never felt so good. :)

Whaaaa? Really? I thought as soon as you upgraded to a 4G device you lost the Unlimited Data, and were immediately thrown on the Tiered Plans? Tell me I'm wrong.
You're wrong. :)