What happened to the original stock News & Weather App from my Droid I?

MrTommy

Reaction score
I think I've seen this posted elsewhere, but maybe some new eyes will see it. I just upgraded from my old Droid I to the Maxx. One of my fave Apps on the old phone was the news and weather app that I could customize and get news I wanted, plus weather wherever I was.

I can still use it on my old Droid if I have a WiFi connection, but I'm not in the mood to carry two 'units' around just to read the news I want. Is there a way I can 'slide' it off my old machine onto my new Maxx?

Or, am I as I suspect, screwed???? :mad:

Uh, hate to sound ignorant, but...

Thanks for the link, subsynth. I scurried over there and downloaded it onto my computer. Read where folks really like this app. But, my question is, where do I put it on my Razr, and how do I make it run? I know - duh - but I'm just not sure where to install it.

I hooked the phone up to my computer and pulled up all the folders, but nosing around in all of them just didn't wave a sign at me saying "In here, Pal!"

Any suggestions? Thanks. :hail:

Thanks for the link, subsynth. I scurried over there and downloaded it onto my computer. Read where folks really like this app. But, my question is, where do I put it on my Razr, and how do I make it run? I know - duh - but I'm just not sure where to install it.

I hooked the phone up to my computer and pulled up all the folders, but nosing around in all of them just didn't wave a sign at me saying "In here, Pal!"

Any suggestions? Thanks. :hail:

Simply store on the SD Card, install, and run. You can also install it as a widget.

Even easier is to simply click the link on your phone and download and install directly like I just did.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:
Wow!!!!!

thank you FoxCat & subsynth!!!!!

We just installed it - AND WE'RE IN HEAVEN!! :icon_ lala:

THIS is a News and Weather app that makes sense. Wonder why they didn't include it in the latest 'phones'...

Again, thanks you guys!:biggrin:

One of my fave Apps on the old phone was the news and weather app that I could customize and get news I wanted, plus weather wherever I was.

+1 for Genie (aka "News and Weather" app on many Moto phones)!

Closest thing to it is Pulse.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Why did Google remove the News & Weather app from Android?

I used this app every day. Why did Google remove it?

original stock news and weather app

so when i slide my phone into the docking station and select dock mode on the top left is the weather i tap on that and the original weather screen comes up that use to be a widget but its not anymore, is that the weather and news app your talking about if it is i want it as a widget again and cant find it

I have the Google Genie News & Weather app from most versions of Android since Froyo, send me a private message to remind me to post them when I have more time.

Also there's an app that does the same thing but better named "News & Weather (beta)" by Awnry Software, though I think it's a free limited version, and I paid $5 to unlock all the features, but it at least remembers the tab I'm on and has some other little options; I'm not sure it's worth that price but it definitely runs faster and is more user-friendly than the old and new versions of Google's news app.

Back