Android Launcher Pro on Cyan rocks!

LrdElderon

Reaction score
First, this is just a small pet peeve of mine. It's a launcher / App tray , not a home replacement (that's something like GDE, panda home, ahome..etc).

I think that both LP and AWD are both good starts to new improved launchers. I popped LP .20 or whatever was the newest and it is indeed fast, too fast imo. I barely touch the screen and it slides through all my apps, lol. Some things I do not like. I absolutely do not like the shortcuts at least on stock. I heard that it's being worked on so that's cool. I'm glad to see some people continuing to work on these things. Oh and I really love the pinch to see screens in that expose'ish type feature. One thing that kinda bugged me was that even though the launcher worked in landscape mode, rotating instant closed the tray so you rotate then open it again (which is still fast). Though perhaps that is what he is working on too?

My favorite so far though is still Helix2 7. Have any of you seen the droid cyanogen mod called Genesis V1 based on 507 test 0? A lot of people like using LP with it but the helix2 launcher is just beautiful in that theme/rom.

I don't know why people bash on helix 2 so much. It's not slow at all. it opens, closes and rotates instantly for me no lag at all. Im running the genesis rom until manup finally puts a new nextheme out for droid and hopefully 507 stable is released. But so far on this rom using autokiller to help with memory im at about 60-70 mb free idle. the key is to remove deadweight apps you won't use and to minimize widgets and screens. It does tend to be a bit more sensitive on where you touch and slide. LP seems to just zoom up and down anywhere you touch, but helix you kinda have to grab and slide it. It has that momentum effect. I can still manage to slide my whole list in one go if I slide fast.

It's a shame the dev seems to have given up on it though. github and his repo page seems to show he hasn't updated it at all since like april 8th aside from moving the icon back to the middle. kinda disgusted that the dev seems to have just pissed away what many think is one of the greatest launchers for android, especially helix 1 which I think hasn't been updated since even before helix 2. repo shows march 31 or something.

Really looking forward to what becomes of these two great new launchers, both are in their infancy though and only seem to have one person working on each. I hope they get more collaboration. Heck I wish someone would take the helix1/2 source and start retooling it for features and speed.

Kinda went off on a ramble there lol. Oh and here is a link to that roms page if anyone wanted to see the themed helix 2 launcher I was referring to. If LP was themed like this and had the same shortcut abilities as helix I would switch in a heartbeat.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/koush/44895-genesis-version-1-overlay-themed-cm-rom.html

dilutedq

Reaction score
First, this is just a small pet peeve of mine. It's a launcher / App tray , not a home replacement (that's something like GDE, panda home, ahome..etc).

I think that both LP and AWD are both good starts to new improved launchers. I popped LP .20 or whatever was the newest and it is indeed fast, too fast imo. I barely touch the screen and it slides through all my apps, lol. Some things I do not like. I absolutely do not like the shortcuts at least on stock. I heard that it's being worked on so that's cool. I'm glad to see some people continuing to work on these things. Oh and I really love the pinch to see screens in that expose'ish type feature. One thing that kinda bugged me was that even though the launcher worked in landscape mode, rotating instant closed the tray so you rotate then open it again (which is still fast). Though perhaps that is what he is working on too?

My favorite so far though is still Helix2 7. Have any of you seen the droid cyanogen mod called Genesis V1 based on 507 test 0? A lot of people like using LP with it but the helix2 launcher is just beautiful in that theme/rom.

I don't know why people bash on helix 2 so much. It's not slow at all. it opens, closes and rotates instantly for me no lag at all. Im running the genesis rom until manup finally puts a new nextheme out for droid and hopefully 507 stable is released. But so far on this rom using autokiller to help with memory im at about 60-70 mb free idle. the key is to remove deadweight apps you won't use and to minimize widgets and screens. It does tend to be a bit more sensitive on where you touch and slide. LP seems to just zoom up and down anywhere you touch, but helix you kinda have to grab and slide it. It has that momentum effect. I can still manage to slide my whole list in one go if I slide fast.

It's a shame the dev seems to have given up on it though. github and his repo page seems to show he hasn't updated it at all since like april 8th aside from moving the icon back to the middle. kinda disgusted that the dev seems to have just pissed away what many think is one of the greatest launchers for android, especially helix 1 which I think hasn't been updated since even before helix 2. repo shows march 31 or something.

Really looking forward to what becomes of these two great new launchers, both are in their infancy though and only seem to have one person working on each. I hope they get more collaboration. Heck I wish someone would take the helix1/2 source and start retooling it for features and speed.

Kinda went off on a ramble there lol. Oh and here is a link to that roms page if anyone wanted to see the themed helix 2 launcher I was referring to. If LP was themed like this and had the same shortcut abilities as helix I would switch in a heartbeat.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/koush/44895-genesis-version-1-overlay-themed-cm-rom.html

Just a pet peeve of mine,
but this and GDE, panda home, ahome, perform the exact same purpose, it replaces the entire home screen. It is a home replacement, it just isn't themable / modifiable as those. You cannot just replace the launcher. The home screen itself is its own application.

LrdElderon

Reaction score

but this and GDE, panda home, ahome, perform the exact same purpose, it replaces the entire home screen. It is a home replacement, it just isn't themable / modifiable as those. You cannot just replace the launcher. The home screen itself is its own application.

I see info in the post but no pet peeve, unless you were being an ass(Maybe I read it wrong?) Nothing personal hehe, but ask anyone what they think of when you say launcher tray, what apps come to mind and then ask them home replacement....does anyone see what I'm getting at?

As for what happens in the code I'll take a look, but a launcher is not even close to a full home replacement. At least as far as the general consensus of what a home replacement app seems to be. I know I consider it to be a complete makeover app running over the desktop completely changing the look and functionality.

You could be right, number of windows and docks and things can come with some launchers, which I guess would make them home replacements technically, but I think I would put them in a subsection since they don't really change anything besides the launcher tray.

Perhaps reclassifying it with labels would make it work for everyone. All of these things can be considers home modifications? then under that we can just put two sub categories, full home replacements and then launchers. You may technically be right, but it's a bit strange. If anyone has seen the videos for the very awesome TAT UI's I think people would call that a home replacement pretty easily (btw anyone get into the closed beta? or is there a NDA? I'm curious how well it actually works) doesn't come to mind thinking of helix1/2 or any others.

anyways, most likely anyone reading this read probably doesn't really care about the semantics of what a home replacement is.

I did have a whole long workup about various launchers but I think I'm going to throw it in a new thread. I don't want to clog this thread with comparisons of other launchers and arguments lol :)

Last edited:

dilutedq

Reaction score

I see info in the post but no pet peeve, unless you were being an ass(Maybe I read it wrong?) Nothing personal hehe, but ask anyone what they think of when you say launcher tray, what apps come to mind and then ask them home replacement....does anyone see what I'm getting at?

As for what happens in the code I'll take a look, but a launcher is not even close to a full home replacement. At least as far as the general consensus of what a home replacement app seems to be. I know I consider it to be a complete makeover app running over the desktop completely changing the look and functionality.

You could be right, number of windows and docks and things can come with some launchers, which I guess would make them home replacements technically, but I think I would put them in a subsection since they don't really change anything besides the launcher tray.

Perhaps reclassifying it with labels would make it work for everyone. All of these things can be considers home modifications? then under that we can just put two sub categories, full home replacements and then launchers. You may technically be right, but it's a bit strange. If anyone has seen the videos for the very awesome TAT UI's I think people would call that a home replacement pretty easily (btw anyone get into the closed beta? or is there a NDA? I'm curious how well it actually works) doesn't come to mind thinking of helix1/2 or any others.

anyways, most likely anyone reading this read probably doesn't really care about the semantics of what a home replacement is.

I did have a whole long workup about various launchers but I think I'm going to throw it in a new thread. I don't want to clog this thread with comparisons of other launchers and arguments lol :)

I was being an ass, not in a crude way, but in a poking fun way. At the code level they are all the same. They are more than just new launch bars, they just don't do as much. They modify the way scrolling across the screen is done (if you ever notice for some reason all these replacements have much smoother scrolling..) Things like OpenHome and GDE are a little more bloated (IMO but what I mean is they have a lot more stuff added into them).

I just thought it was funny you randomly being picky about a term, and how they used it, when your way of using it was wrong. Even though in the end it really shouldn't be a peeve of anyone :p

btw just to contribute to this thread Android Launcher Pro is awesome :)