Any talk about a Droid 5 coming out?

GonzaloMadrid

Reaction score
Whta is a clamshell? Flip fone? If so, I prefer slider.
Yes, I call it clamshell when the hinge is on the long edge of the device, and flip when in the short one. For a landscape real qwerty KB the clamshell is needed. I think

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
Yes, I call it clamshell when the hinge is on the long edge of the device, and flip when in the short one. For a landscape real qwerty KB the clamshell is needed. I think

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

So, when you're in landscape, your keyboard will be side by side with the screen? Lol. Maybe i'm not just getting the right image here.

If we can have both, I don't mind the size of the phone. Imagine an old nokia phone when texting, then have the current Ds slider when browsing and typing long messages.

Last edited:

GonzaloMadrid

Reaction score
I agree, mikekhelxD thickness is getting thinner and thinner and that makes the phone imposible to hold. The smaller, the cheapest, thats the reason they try to make us believe the idea of "thinner is better" or keyboards are useless.

Last edited:

jmagi

Reaction score
mark my words. with bbm now on all devices, the need for physical qwerty will once again grow. everyone i know is already complaining. even those with portrait qwerty.

i like the clamshell design, but it would either require 2 screens one inside one outside for answering calls without opening... orrr a clamshell with a slide hinge that can open and slide into a slider position like droid 4.

Sent from my DROID4 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

riahc3

Reaction score
If WhatsApp didnt do anything to bring back QWERTY keyboards, BBM will do much less.

Droid 5 will drop a few days/weeks after Google releases the KitKat update (Nov 1).

RaceRev

Reaction score
I so hope you are right. My Droid 3 is on it's last leg. I really want a keyboard and my wife's phone with a keyboard is not very good.

tortoracer

Reaction score
i have realized the light at the end of the tunnel.

recently i filed a claim through asurion, and they were out of droid 4's, so they offered a stratosphere 2...i chuckled and demanded a phone that wasnt lesser; i now have a Droid MAXX in my hands.

this phone is amazing in every way. swype in portrait, and landscape the keyboard is VERY easy to type on despite being a software keyboard. i can safely say the software keyboard is fine...i no longer really even want a hardware keyboard.

id say stop in your local verizon, and surprise yourself with the ease of using the droid maxx for typing...the battery is INSANE. the stock ROM is amazing, and the interface is brilliant.

shanook

Reaction score
i have realized the light at the end of the tunnel.

recently i filed a claim through asurion, and they were out of droid 4's, so they offered a stratosphere 2...i chuckled and demanded a phone that wasnt lesser; i now have a Droid MAXX in my hands.

this phone is amazing in every way. swype in portrait, and landscape the keyboard is VERY easy to type on despite being a software keyboard. i can safely say the software keyboard is fine...i no longer really even want a hardware keyboard.

id say stop in your local verizon, and surprise yourself with the ease of using the droid maxx for typing...the battery is INSANE. the stock ROM is amazing, and the interface is brilliant.

I can type on a physical qwerty keyboard without looking with 100% accuracy. I know you can't do that, and never will be able to. I hate touch screens, can't use it for typing anything.

tortoracer

Reaction score
im not going to say i can with 100% accuracy, but unless your driving i cannot fathom a point where you need to be able to do that. (driving is a no-no, even though i cannot say i am 100% text free behind the wheel myself)

with swype, typing with 100% accuracy without looking is actually quite easy...its not going to work 100%, but its doable. the maxx (phone i have) has a very large screen, which makes typing without looking in landscape mode, again...doable.

right now im using a brand new motorola feature, and using chrome to connect to my phone and recieve sms, and calls so i can respond in-browser. all of a sudden the keyboard im using is FAR better than the droid 4 keyboard.

im being the devil's advocate a bit here, but seeing as i was sharing the same views as you no more than a month ago, its definitely not as bad as it seems.

GonzaloMadrid

Reaction score
I can type on a physical qwerty keyboard without looking with 100% accuracy. I know you can't do that, and never will be able to. I hate touch screens, can't use it for typing anything.

I completely agree and dont understand why using this forum to say "I dont need phisical Keyboards"
What about joining a pets forum to say you don't have and don't want any dog?

Sent from my Droid 3 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

tortoracer

Reaction score
im not trying to say it just to rub it in your faces.....im just trying to open your eyes to say its not that bad and get you to open your minds....i had the same mindset as you 2 weeks ago, then asurion offered me the maxx instead since the droid 4 is no longer in production, and seeing as that was my option, and its a newer phone, i accepted. it is pleasant to type with.

kwyrt

Reaction score
im not trying to say it just to rub it in your faces.....im just trying to open your eyes to say its not that bad and get you to open your minds....i had the same mindset as you 2 weeks ago, then asurion offered me the maxx instead since the droid 4 is no longer in production, and seeing as that was my option, and its a newer phone, i accepted. it is pleasant to type with.
HERESY!!! Nah, I get what your saying. Glad to hear the switch was pretty painless for you. I love the physical keyboard on my D4 but my hope for a D5 is fading fast. Unfortunately, it looks like we're going to be forced into getting a touch screen only phone if we want anything with decent specs from here on out.