Best iMessage App?

WolfR1

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I are getting new phones. I'm already set on getting the S7 Edge and she is considering the S7. However, she is coming from an iPhone and has family that uses iMessage frequently. Is there a good app for this and what are you thoughts on it? I know this could probably have gone in General but I figured here I'd get Samsung specific info if there's a Samsung specific app.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
As far as I know, iMessage is only available on iOS devices. I'm not aware of an android app that is compatible with iMessage. Maybe someone else knows something that I don't though...

EDIT: I did find this, but no idea if it works like you'd like... SMS for Apple Messages (iChat) - Android Apps on Google Play

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Chomp or the stock Samsung messaging app are the closest you are going to get to an imessaging like app.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Chomp or the stock Samsung messaging app are the closest you are going to get to an imessaging like app.

I don't think they're looking for something that looks/works like iMessage so much as something that will interface with iMessage so they can continue to send iMessage messages to their iPhone using friends and family...?

OP
W

WolfR1

Reaction score
Yeah she wants to stay on group messages with her family. I keep seeing that many apps out there that MAY work route data through China and that is a no no.
Also if it's in the Google Play store and has less than 4 stars I won't look at it. She's not a tech person so she won't want to deal with app issues. And personally I don't want her to try to run back to Apple two months after she's had the phone! :D

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
As far as I know, iMessage is only available on iOS devices. I'm not aware of an android app that is compatible with iMessage. Maybe someone else knows something that I don't though...

EDIT: I did find this, but no idea if it works like you'd like... SMS for Apple Messages (iChat) - Android Apps on Google Play
Just read the reviews, yeah that app only works if you have a Mac book from what I'm gathering.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would use a proprietary messaging solutions when there are so many cross-platform ones available. (And that isn't just my anti-apphole persona speaking.)

OP
W

WolfR1

Reaction score
Because Apple is a bunch of elitist a-holes.
I've read that Pushbullet will do this but can find nothing on their web site that indicates the cross platform support. Makes me think that if it was there it's gone not.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I switch between an iPhone and the S7 Edge currently - as long as you deregister your phone number from your iMessage account and your family who are still using iPhones turn on "send as SMS" in iMessage settings, y'all should be able to participate in group messages...the only other thing that may need to be done is to have your family delete any saved messages (this may or may not be a big deal) and reboot their phones so that your phone number with the android devices show green and not blue when they reply...

On the S7 Edge, I use the stock SMS app and am able to group message with my daughter & son who both are currently using iPhones.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Because Apple is a bunch of elitist a-holes.
I've read that Pushbullet will do this but can find nothing on their web site that indicates the cross platform support. Makes me think that if it was there it's gone not.
I wouldn't use the term elitist anymore or the other. I know plenty of elitist a hole Android aficionados as well as good folks that choose simplicity over widgets and aftermarket launchers. Pretty much the average user of either really hasn't much of a clue as to what's better about one or the other. It's when you turn to tablets that the differences really start to show up and Apple seems much more cumbersome to use though supposedly easier in the non app business environment.
To label certain users is so last decade as ios becomes more like Android and Android becomes more like ios.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use the term elitist anymore or the other. I know plenty of elitist a hole Android aficionados as well as good folks that choose simplicity over widgets and aftermarket launchers. Pretty much the average user of either really hasn't much of a clue as to what's better about one or the other. It's when you turn to tablets that the differences really start to show up and Apple seems much more cumbersome to use though supposedly easier in the non app business environment.
To label certain users is so last decade as ios becomes more like Android and Android becomes more like ios.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

While I understand what you are saying, I still say 90% of Apphole users are elitist. That includes my elderly mom and dad. "We got iPhones! The best!"