Can I Root my way from ICS back to Gingerbread?

mikec557

Reaction score
Back around the time of Froyo to Gingerbread I rooted my thunderbolt. It was kind of fun, but also too much work to keep up with because I need my phone for work all day long. In the old days, playing around and experimenting on the computer was fun. But once I needed it for work, I could no longer afford for it to be down while I played and figured out what went wrong and fix it. Back to my TB, so eventually, I un-rooted it and let VWZ push out OTA whatever.

But, a week or so ago, I woke up to find that ICS had downloaded to both my and my wife's TB. I thought in the past I had to give it permission, but in this case, our phones simply downloaded and were in mid process of updating to ICS.

Hers has the text messaging problems, and mine is slow as a snail (so is hers). And the touch sensitivity on my main screen has become very unresponsive. So, since I've lived this long (2-yrs) without ICS, I can live without it period. Can I root my phone and put gingerbread back on it? I don't know if I need vzw's version or a custom version. I'd like a de-bloated version, but everything has to work because like I said above, I need the phone all day every day.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

drew96dawg

Reaction score
From what I understand you cannot , Ics is a different security level than gingerbread so there is no way to go back.

Sent from my vzw Galaxy Note 2

OP
M

mikec557

Reaction score
That is truly sad news. ICS is way too slow on my two year old TB. I'll have to keep searching, maybe someone will develop a new way.

Thanks
mike

OP
M

mikec557

Reaction score
Thanks. A bit to read through, (the posting is about 20 pages) but it looks like it may be exactly what I want to do.

Thanks again
Mike