Can no longer dial calls hands free. Help!

rosariorose9

Reaction score
My Droid Maxx connects via BlueTooth to my hands free (BlueAnt) wireless car 'speakerphone', and will allow hands free conversations if someone calls me...but it will no longer allow for me to hands free 'dial out'. When I try to do so, I get the message (through the BlueAnt): "This feature is not supported on the connected phone." I know that the fault lies with my Droid, and not the BlueAnt, because I can hands free dial out using my wife's iPhone.

Any suggestions will be most gratefully entertained!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you tried to unpair the earpiece then pair it back?
Have you tried looking at the connection in Bluetooth to make sure the feature is enabled for that device? I'm not sure how it works on your phone but my Samsung phones I long press the Bluetooth icon in my pull down area, look for the device in question and tap the gear looking icon to its right and make sure everything is checked that I want checked.
Hope that helps

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
In addition to what Mountainbikermark suggested, how are you trying to initiate the hands free call? Are you using Google Now....speak your launch phrase...then call {Name} ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Thanks to you both for your help, but so far, no luck getting it to work.

1. I did unpair the BlueAnt, and re-paired it, but that didn't fix the problem.
2. I cannot find any 'area' on the phone to enable or disable the hands free dialing feature.
3. In answer to sajokaz's question, I am using the BlueAnt commands ("BlueAnt Speak To Me/Phone Commands/Call Mr. X") to initiate calls.

Aaaarrrgghh!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Have you tried using the Moto App? It has always worked good for me on a Maxx, Turbo and Turbo 2. Once you setup & train your launch phrase you should be able to make hands free calls using Moto Voice on any Bluetooth device

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Thanks, sajokaz, but I don't want to use the Moto App. The BlueAnt handsfree dialing (truly handsfree - it's not necessary to engage an app) has worked great for me...until now.

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Telephoned Verizon and Motorola tech support (you know I'm desperate if I tried them!), and they could not figure it out.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks, sajokaz, but I don't want to use the Moto App. The BlueAnt handsfree dialing (truly handsfree - it's not necessary to engage an app) has worked great for me...until now.
So that app used to work just fine on tour Droid Maxx? If so, something must have changed. Maybe an update to that app? Or something else updated and caused it to stop working.

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Thanks, sajokaz. There's actually no Droid 'app' directly involved here. The software in the BlueAnt activates the hands free dialing capacity of the Droid Maxx (as it does with the hands free dialing capacity in my wife's iPhone), using the contacts which have been downloaded to the BlueAnt. Can't comment regarding the possibility that an update to an unrelated app is responsible, since my Droid updates apps automatically (and often!)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
But it did work correctly for a while, on that phone?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Hmmm, something must have changed. New firmware in the BT device? An app update on the phone? Can you think of any apps that updated around the same time it stopped working?

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
No new firmware in the BT device. As far as app updates are concerned, as I noted above, I can't comment regarding the possibility that an update to an unrelated app is responsible, since my Droid updates apps automatically (and often!) Thanks again for your input!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I'm guessing it works like the Jawbone does in that your plug it into your computer and use a Blueant program on the computer to change stuff?
If do have you tried syncing that way? I used to sync mine every now and then (Jawbone Icon) just to keep it fresh and it'd fix anything gone wonky on it as well. Now that I think of it my ancient Jabra 810 and 8010 used the same method for adding contacts for hands free calling.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
^^^
No, it doesn't use the computer. There is no BlueAnt program external to the BlueAnt. After pairing it with the phone, the BlueAnt uses the voice dialing hands free capacity of the Droid, but, as I've indicated, the BlueAnt is now saying that "this feature (hands free dialing) is not supported on the connected phone." Again, the problem is with my Droid - not the BlueAnt - since hands free dialing IS working with my BlueAnt with my wife's iPhone, and my friend's Samsung.