CM7 Wireless Tethering?

flashjh

Reaction score
Just checked my data usage for this billing cycle... 30gig woot

Sent From My Supercharged Chainfired Cyanogenated Droid X

Don't take this the wrong way, but people like you are going to be the reason VZW is going to go tiered service one of these days. There's no reason to use 30gigs of usage on a phone's plan. I stream music around 5 hours a day, and use my phone heavily throughout the rest of the day, and the most I've ever used is 4 gigs.

Sent from my CM7-D2

I agree. I tether on occasion and still manage to keep my data usage to under 1gb. There's no reason to use 30 gigs. That's absurd.

I just can't imagine downloading 30 gigs of anything on 3g? Who has the time or patience?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
AFAIK from previous reading on this issue, the Verizon T&Cs that we all agree to when we get our phones explicitly excludes tethering as an activity unless we pay an additional fee for that service. Tethering is a separate option with its own pricing/agreements/data allowances, etc.

So I don't see much grey area here, unless I've got it wrong about tethering being excluded. In that light, what we are doing when we tether is violating our T&Cs...not a matter of how much data we are using, but what services we are using. It may seem unfair or stupid to separate things that way, but when we sign a contract and agree to that we are on pretty thin ice.

Has anyone on this thread actually read the pertinent parts of the contract that we all sign? First to admit that I haven't... :) What I note above was from discussions back when I first got my D1 and tethering debates were going hot and heavy...

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
don't take this the wrong way, but people like you are going to be the reason vzw is going to go tiered service one of these days. There's no reason to use 30gigs of usage on a phone's plan. I stream music around 5 hours a day, and use my phone heavily throughout the rest of the day, and the most i've ever used is 4 gigs.

Sent from my cm7-d2

i agree. I tether on occasion and still manage to keep my data usage to under 1gb. There's no reason to use 30 gigs. That's absurd.

i just can't imagine downloading 30 gigs of anything on 3g? Who has the time or patience?

Sent from my droidx using droidforums

lol.... +1,000,000

daggar

Reaction score
Has anyone on this thread actually read the pertinent parts of the contract that we all sign? First to admit that I haven't... :) What I note above was from discussions back when I first got my D1 and tethering debates were going hot and heavy...

I have in parts. Unauthorized software violates the VZW's ToS, so if you're running Cyanogen or any other non-stock OS you're violating them, just like using Skype over 3G was violating them until the US Senate threatened antitrust laws. I'm not sure if rooting a stock install is a violation, but there are several legal opinions that say it is.

And that's the thing about ToS's in general. They are very much legal gray area. They are drafted with a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" philosophy, often with sections that are illegal in certain municipalities and sometimes across the country. Several states acknowledge non-negotiable rights for their citizens-- rights that supersede contract law and cannot be voided no matter what the fine print says. To view a ToS like a rational contract you would enter into with, for instance, another human being, a local business, or a devil is the wrong perspective. ToS's are a tool of legalistic intimidation, where the weight of the sheer quantity of terms involved is viewed as a benefit even if a huge number of them never stand up in court.

danielson2047

Reaction score
AFAIK from previous reading on this issue, the Verizon T&Cs that we all agree to when we get our phones explicitly excludes tethering as an activity unless we pay an additional fee for that service. Tethering is a separate option with its own pricing/agreements/data allowances, etc.

So I don't see much grey area here, unless I've got it wrong about tethering being excluded. In that light, what we are doing when we tether is violating our T&Cs...not a matter of how much data we are using, but what services we are using. It may seem unfair or stupid to separate things that way, but when we sign a contract and agree to that we are on pretty thin ice.

+INFINITY. 30gigs is absurd.

Bense

Reaction score

Don't take this the wrong way, but people like you are going to be the reason VZW is going to go tiered service one of these days. There's no reason to use 30gigs of usage on a phone's plan. I stream music around 5 hours a day, and use my phone heavily throughout the rest of the day, and the most I've ever used is 4 gigs.

While I certainly agree with you. I am afraid that fighting this is on par with trying to stop a tidal wave with a rain jacket :(

havens1515

Reaction score

Don't take this the wrong way, but people like you are going to be the reason VZW is going to go to closed-system phones with no expandability. There's no reason to use third-party ROMs or unauthorized versions of Android. You're voiding your warranty, violating your ToS, circumventing the dozens of superficial controls VZW built into your phone, and make the VZW shareholders cry.

If they don't mean "Unlimited" then they shouldn't say it. I'm doubt you'd complain every time VZW uses legal intimidation, loopholes and outright lying to exploit their customer base, but apparently people operating by the terms of their contract is some moral infringement. Apologists who stand up for the rights of corporate entities over their fellow human beings always baffle me.

Actually, there's plenty of reason to use a 3rd-party ROM.... Android is open source for a reason. THAT reason. If they don't want people using 3rd-party ROMs, they shouldn't sell Android phones.

Verizon and the manufacturers lock down their phones because they don't want us messing with it, but if you don't want people messing with their phones, don't give them an OS that is designed to be customized.

As far as your unlimited comment... I agree fully. Unlimited means unlimited. Again, Verizon give me a phone that has the ability to become a wifi hotspot, and then they tell me that if I do so it isn't covered under my "unlimited" plan... something is wrong. I don't tether, but I did use over 2GB of data last month because I don't have wifi at my job. I don't want to be on a tiered data plan, because I consider myself a "power user" and I don't want to limit my hardware. (and I don't want to pay extra for less data either!)

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Unlimited = unlimited but Verizon has the right to change the products they sell and how they sell them. If there truly is plenty of bandwidth then some other company will offer unlimited again.

As for there being no reason to tinker with our phones, I've got to disagree there. It is my phone, I payed for it. The law even says I can tinker with it. Sure the warranty may be voided but I can run whatever legal programs I want to on it and I will for whatever reason I see fit to. That is like saying there is no reason to uninstall windows on a brand ABC computer and install one of the various Linux flavors on it or there are no reasons to swap out the dealer installed rims on your car. There may be no reason for some people but plenty for others.

I still don't understand the tiered move though. 4G = superfast. I don't really need my webpages to load faster or my FB/G+ posts to go any quicker though. Superfast means I can stream a video. It means I can transfer my pictures and movies with ease because they are large and the pipe was small before. The new phones are made for this, HDMI connections and all. However to charge for each GB defeats the whole purpose of a faster connection. You can do more, but you need to do less or get smacked with charges.

Got off topic, sorry. Running CM7 on my D1 and wifi tethering 2.07 works fine.
icon_%20banana.gif

daggar

Reaction score
Actually, there's plenty of reason to use a 3rd-party ROM.... Android is open source for a reason. THAT reason. If they don't want people using 3rd-party ROMs, they shouldn't sell Android phones.

That was sarcasm, sir, aimed the people who come into the droid2 ROM modding forum to warn about the dire legal and moral repercussions of tethering. My point was that using a third-party ROM is a violation of the ToS's that they're waving about.