Comparison Chart: Motorola XOOM vs. iPad

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You truly won't get a fair comparison no matter what, unless the products are released within the same month. Technology is moving way too fast to allow for that to happen. I mean if you want to compare an ipad to anything just compare it to lets say an archos 7. If the xoom is being released in feb and the the ipad2 isn't coming until summer, that leaves way too many months for technology to go flying by. Heck just look at the tegra, as soon as tegra 2 came out, BOOM! tegra 2.5, and soon to be tegra 3. People will make comparisons just as they always have, apple does it, and so do android. Because as soon as the ipad 2 has it's spec sheets, people will be comparing it to the xoom and possibly saying "OMG look at how much better this is than that 5/6 month old piece of technology." (Speculation on time frame of course)

This again all comes down to personal choice, do i think the ipad 2 will offer alot of what the original ipad didn't? I sure hope so of they won't be around much longer. There will be those who buy the xoom, just as those who buy the ipad/ipad 2.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
You truly won't get a fair comparison no matter what, unless the products are released within the same month. Technology is moving way too fast to allow for that to happen. I mean if you want to compare an ipad to anything just compare it to lets say an archos 7. If the xoom is being released in feb and the the ipad2 isn't coming until summer, that leaves way too many months for technology to go flying by. Heck just look at the tegra, as soon as tegra 2 came out, BOOM! tegra 2.5, and soon to be tegra 3. People will make comparisons just as they always have, apple does it, and so do android. Because as soon as the ipad 2 has it's spec sheets, people will be comparing it to the xoom and possibly saying "OMG look at how much better this is than that 5/6 month old piece of technology." (Speculation on time frame of course)

This again all comes down to personal choice, do i think the ipad 2 will offer alot of what the original ipad didn't? I sure hope so of they won't be around much longer. There will be those who buy the xoom, just as those who buy the ipad/ipad 2.

True. Those who are saying that it is unfair to compare the XOOM to the older ipad need to be ready to say that it is unfair to compare the ipad2 to the older XOOM when it comes out this summer, if there is an ipad2 this summer. Face it, the XOOM will be the better deal until (perhaps) the ipad2 comes out. Of course, who knows if the ipad2 will even beat the specs of the XOOM.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I'm holding out judgement until the wifi only Xoom gets priced and until the iPad2 shows it's hand. I only plan on using it around the house or tethered to my DX on the road.

The wait is killing me. I've already set aside my tablet money... c'mon c'mon c'mon... (tapping foot)

TheHow7zer

Reaction score
no offense but comparing this to tech thats almost a year old is pointless. we need to see how this stacks up to the ipad 2. still buying.

How can you compare it to tech that doesn't even exist yet?

It exists in the same way that the xoom exists.

The xoom is announced, it was at ces, the price is out and a release date.
The ipad 2 on the other hand is just an imaginary thing. It definitly is inevitable, but there is nothing confirmed about it yet.

It's like comparing the pspgo to the psp2, one exists and the other is just speculation until sony decides to admit that they have one.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why not compare the Xoom to a laptop computer, because that's what it should be compared to. Xoom=Fail

Big Dawg 23

Reaction score
The specs on the Motorola Xoom are nice.

Fact One-
Comparing iPad vs New Unreleased device is much to compare.

Fact Two
Supposed iPad two will have camera and dual core. Apple seldom jacks up rates between new version and older version

Fact Three
No SD slot on any Apple product has yet to hurt sales.

Fact Four
To Date no Android Tablet or any tablet can compete with iPad's battery life.

I am a huge Android fan and own a G2 but have owned a Droid X and Droid 1. When it comes to phones I will take a Android device over any iPhone.

Now I do own a 4 Gen. iPod Touch and now a iPad 32GB Wifi only model. I was lucky to get them as gifts. But I will say I am truly amazed at the iPad battery life. I watch movies or tv shows 0n my bus commute. My daughter streams Netflix on it. I only need to charge it every two to three days. At that point it is only 30% battery life remaining.

I understand everyone's opinions but both still have many things to take from the other to create the ultimate device.

bL33d

Reaction score
Well I'm a rare person as I just buy what I like I never follow or get brand loyalty type well except harley's ;)

But I think the big difference in apple devices and others is quality apps they are far and above better then others ya there are some nice apps on android but don't kid urself it's night and day compared to the app store.

And at the end of the day the apps are what matters. Not saying i will never get a android tablet cause I probably will but it will be awhile before I do.

moosez3

Reaction score
I bet all those who stated that they aren't getting it, are now DROOLING! The iPad is a disgrace compared to the XOOM! Remember...APPLE is greedy and releases 1-3 features per device (just to make money on upgrades)...while MOTO doesn't hold back at all!!!

APPLE should get slapped for not putting at least 1 camera on the first iPad!!! How dare they!?

Do you usually write in red text or has Apple/Jobs hurt you personally...
Why must I remind people that business is business, if you think motorola are not greedy as well think again, they wouldnt be in business if all they wanted WASNT money.

You know what is a disgrace? all the tablets before the iPad, and the fact that it took apple to make the iPad for another company to make a respectable product...

The specs on the Motorola Xoom are nice.

Fact One-
Comparing iPad vs New Unreleased device is much to compare.

Fact Two
Supposed iPad two will have camera and dual core. Apple seldom jacks up rates between new version and older version

Fact Three
No SD slot on any Apple product has yet to hurt sales.

Fact Four
To Date no Android Tablet or any tablet can compete with iPad's battery life.

I am a huge Android fan and own a G2 but have owned a Droid X and Droid 1. When it comes to phones I will take a Android device over any iPhone.

Now I do own a 4 Gen. iPod Touch and now a iPad 32GB Wifi only model. I was lucky to get them as gifts. But I will say I am truly amazed at the iPad battery life. I watch movies or tv shows 0n my bus commute. My daughter streams Netflix on it. I only need to charge it every two to three days. At that point it is only 30% battery life remaining.

I understand everyone's opinions but both still have many things to take from the other to create the ultimate device.

I agree.

People must remember the hate the android community gave apple just for coming out with a Giant iPhone with no ability to make calls. Now every single company is coming out with a giant Droid/G Phones that cant make calls. Now every other person on here wants one.

It is truly sad to see such blinded hypocracy. Say what you want but if it had not been for apple and the iPod, iPhone, iPad android would probably still be in the dark ages.

Yeah the Xoom will be a heck of a lot more powerful, and probably overall better, especially with LTE, but the fact is no one else in the industry has been as successful as apple with putting out products that might, or even should fail. (see aforementioned products)

Now I wont probably ever buy an iPad or iPhone, but I LOVE apple's innovation, bravery and marketing, b/c it the other companies how to make good products, screw the specs, its about the freaking thing just being solid and working smoothly.
Success doesn't lie.

want a droid

Reaction score
I don't understand why people need tablets. Especially if you already have a smartphone and a laptop.

Can someone explain to me?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why people need tablets. Especially if you already have a smartphone and a laptop.

Yes it is kind of overkill. But I have a rooted nook color and love it. It is better for me for reading, playing games, and watching movies than on a small smart phone screen. I travel a lot and it comes in hand when traveling. Plus I didn't want to spend $800 on a laptop, so that is why I got the nook color for $250 and rooted it (it does all the same stuff as galaxy tab just about). Also the capabilities of ALL tabs are limited, even if it it has honeycomb, and none of them are worth more than $400 in my opinion.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL

I want something light to use around the house to do light web surfing and to check email without having to go upstairs to my desktop. I'd also like something easy to handle while traveling to do the same. I'd rather not have a laptop because I find them awkward to use at any given moment if a table isn't available. I like the 10 inch screen size more than a phone. The use of a touchscreen as opposed to a keyboard and trackpad TO ME is a big plus. Combine that with a short boot time, ease of use for viewing media on the road , and flexibility and it makes a very attractive item. I just like the form factor... It's just what I want.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

Yes it is kind of overkill. But I have a rooted nook color and love it. It is better for me for reading, playing games, and watching movies than on a small smart phone screen. I travel a lot and it comes in hand when traveling. Plus I didn't want to spend $800 on a laptop, so that is why I got the nook color for $250 and rooted it (it does all the same stuff as galaxy tab just about). Also the capabilities of ALL tabs are limited, even if it it has honeycomb, and none of them are worth more than $400 in my opinion.

I have a NOOKcolor too, but that is a lot different than the XOOM. While I would like to have a XOOM, I consider it just an expensive toy that I cannot afford. It is nearly 3X the cost of the NOOKcolor. In addition, I cannot read any magazines on the XOOM. Most are only able to be read on the NOOKcolor, not even the NOOK. I bought the NOOKcolor specifically to read books and magazines and consider it a good deal. When I can buy a netbook for about 1/2 the cost of the XOOM, I cannot even begin to justify a XOOM, unless I had a lot more money to spend on non-essential items than I do.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
They are both highly impressive devices, don't care what anyone says, however being both an Android fan, and a Motorola fan, I'm looking forward to this. It isn't crucial I have a tablet but this certainly looks like a good start if I were to go that route.