Motorola Xoom Still Better then The iPad 2 in Comparison!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

donzz

Reaction score
For that kind of money it better do EVERYTHING! I can't see paying that kind of money for a product that doesn't do Flash. All my weather, sports scores and games are Flash based. Ticked me right off when I discovered my first gen Ipod Touch didn't do Flash. When I got my D-1 I gave the Touch to my daughter.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not bashing the Xoom, but its obvious to anyone who has actually used a Xoom and an iPad which is better. The Xoom has dual-core 1ghz and is nowhere near as smooth as the original iPad. The new dual-core iPad2 will absolutely destroy the Xoom.

I know some of us like describe things when we post....

But nowhere near as smooth and absolutly destroy...

Are you talking about the Xoom or those knock off Android tablets from last year?

I dont see it THAT big of a difference between Android and the iOS right now. Maybe back in 2008, but not now.

accellpo

Reaction score
I'm not bashing the Xoom, but its obvious to anyone who has actually used a Xoom and an iPad which is better. The Xoom has dual-core 1ghz and is nowhere near as smooth as the original iPad. The new dual-core iPad2 will absolutely destroy the Xoom.

I've spelled out the difference between native code (iOS) and code run through a VM (Android) dozens of times, but noone seems to acknowledge... NATIVE CODE ALWAYS RUNS FASTER AND BETTER!!! This is why iOS products have better responsiveness at low clock speeds (see 3gs vs Droid) and better battery life.

Not to mention that iOS actually is optimized for dual-core cpus and Android is not.

I was waiting for the iPad2 reveal before I bought the Xoom... glad I waited! If it releases with a Verizon CDMA antenna I'm definitely going the iPad2 route.

Yeah, you sound like you never used a Xoom! Its really fast! Also you can see many videos on youtube of the Xoom smoking the ipad in speed. The Ipad has a smartphone OS and Honeycomb is a true tablet experience. And Android phones are faster than the iPhone now, so you need to rethink your theory on that as well. My Droid X put my friends iPhones to shame in terms of speed and function. The only competition for the Xoom is the other android tablets. The specs don't matter comments are ridiculous. Honeycomb has a few, bugs but lag isn't one of them, and its absolutely beautiful compared to the iPhone OS. But to each his own.

accellpo

Reaction score
Yeah, you sound like you never used a Xoom! Its really fast! Also you can see many videos on youtube of the Xoom smoking the ipad in speed.

Yeah, um, we're talking about the iPad 2 here. Little different processor.

Originally Postedby UNC
I'm not bashing the Xoom, but its obvious to anyone who has actually used a Xoom and an iPad which is better. The Xoom has dual-core 1ghz and is nowhere near as smooth as the original iPad.

You obviously didn't read this nonsense!

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Ah, thought you were going off the current.

I haven't played with the Xoom yet. Going to try looking at one this weekend. I have heard that it needs to be a little smoother but want to see for myself.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Did I read that correctly that the LG RECORDS 1080p in 3D? WTF?!1!! How the hell do you record in 3D? :icon_eek:

2 cameras prob

But how would it assign depth to something that appears as 2D from it's perspective? For instance, how would a foreground object such as a person be chosen to become 3D and not a mountain in the background? That just seems amazing to me.

bplewis24

Reaction score
There are no specs on the Xoom that make it "groundbreakingly" better than the IPAD 2. Quite honestly... I want to buy a xoom but i don't want the 3g/4g model.

I still don't understand why people use this type of logic to build up the Apple product. Why does the Xoom have to be "groundbreakingly" better? The fact that it's better should be enough to state that, well... it's better. Why doesn't the iPad2 have to be "groundbreakingly" better than the Xoom? It's this type of spin that ruins most of these types of discussions.

Brandon

OK, I am an iPad owner. Other than the obvious negatives (no flash, no SD card slot, etc), it does have that ONE problem that most Apple faithfuls fail to mention..... insufficient RAM. I have to stop and kill processes a lot to keep it running smooth.

What's funny is that nobody ever mentions that when throwing out the "iOS is more polished and Android is buggy!" arguments.

Brandon

Last edited by a moderator:

droidkevlar

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I drink the Android kool-aid but Apple has this market. Apple's processors in any of their releases are usually "outdated" (intel core 2 in their laptops when quad cores been around for quite some time) and this ARM architecture compared to tegra's but you cant beat them in the tablet market. First gen iPad was smooth and decent speed, but complete. Every tablet android based has been a joke. Moto should have never released the Xoom without flash and without sdcard being enabled. That shows me they dont know what they are doing and just rushing a product out. Yes Apple is rushing this "refresh" iPad but it is 100% complete when you purchase it. No, waiting for flash (yes I know they will never have it), no waiting for sd support and no waiting for 4g (again, i know the iPad doesnt offer that)

Longer story short, I will def be looking at getting the iPad2 16GB wifi model for a giant reason: PRICE. $499 cant be beat. Android version anywhere near that price is a joke. Unless Samsung comes out with their 10" in this price range, Apple going to rule this market for a few more years.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
As much as I like android I think apple has better timing with their releases... and it works..

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Yes Apple is rushing this "refresh" iPad but it is 100% complete when you purchase it.

I agree with everything you said except for this part. I don't see that they rushed this. It came out just like their normal yearly release. I thought March of last year was when the original iPad came out, unless I remember wrong.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes Apple is rushing this "refresh" iPad but it is 100% complete when you purchase it.

I agree with everything you said except for this part. I don't see that they rushed this. It came out just like their normal yearly release. I thought March of last year was when the original iPad came out, unless I remember wrong.

close April 2010

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

close April 2010

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. So right at one year. A month early. And they announce the release and it will start shipping in nine days. Now, let's look at the release of Droid items like the Xoom, the Thunderbolt, etc. Android isn't gaining ground with games like this.

rickt1152

Reaction score
I've owned an iPad and now the Xoom. The iPad was very smooth and so is the Xoom. The Xoom has a few more bugs so far, but that seems to be mostly a function of apps that are incompatible with Honeycomb and not the table itself. I can not say that I find IOS any more "polished" then Honeycomb. There is a big difference between say Froyo on the Galaxy Tab and IOS, but with the hardware in the Xoom and Honeycomb, it is extremely fast and smooth. Curious to see how improved the iPad 2 is, but the whole, "the iPad is smoother" hasn't been my experience.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've owned an iPad and now the Xoom. The iPad was very smooth and so is the Xoom. The Xoom has a few more bugs so far, but that seems to be mostly a function of apps that are incompatible with Honeycomb and not the table itself. I can not say that I find IOS any more "polished" then Honeycomb. There is a big difference between say Froyo on the Galaxy Tab and IOS, but with the hardware in the Xoom and Honeycomb, it is extremely fast and smooth. Curious to see how improved the iPad 2 is, but the whole, "the iPad is smoother" hasn't been my experience.

yeah I have always been impressed with the smoothness of the iOS so I am glad to see someone answer one of my internal questions about honeycomb. Hopefully they get all the bugs worked out in quick time.

Status
Not open for further replies.