Crazy amount of wifi data transfer

brockeverly

Reaction score
I have a widget installed that keeps track of my wifi/3g data transmission. I haven't looked at it in a few days, so to my surprise I found it has used 13gb over wifi since the 28th. Even more surprising is the fact that yesterday, a day that I really didn't even touch it, it used almost 4gb. Has anyone else noticed this happening, and if so, have you figured out what the hell it is transmitting? :icon_eek:

Last edited:

Techsniffer

Reaction score
As always it would be the apps you have on your Xoom, so the question really is what do you have running active or background on your Xoom that's requiring a contact connection and data transfer?

RemyL75

Reaction score
Wow. Something you installed has to be killing your data like that.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

OP
B

brockeverly

Reaction score
I am already at almost 4gb today. I have Dropbox installed, and Titanium Backup updates my DX backups daily, but that has been on here since I first opened the box. Only been killing data the past 4 days.

As for running programs, as of right now, nothing that should be using this kind of data.

Techsniffer

Reaction score
Well not to be an ass but the Xoom (stock) wouldnt use that kind of data so it must be something you've installed that is using so much. I would try finding an app that might be able to track data usage by application (if there is one) and if not reset your Xoom back to stock and see if it stops.

Another thing to consider is if your Xoom is actually using this much data or is your application just screwed up? Many apps havent been updated for use on tablets or specifically the Xoom, maybe its reading the wrong info and giving you over inflated numbers?

OP
B

brockeverly

Reaction score
Perhaps it is coincidental, but this started the day I encrypted the tablet.

OP
B

brockeverly

Reaction score
The widget is dead on with what I am using on 3g, so I don't know how its measure of data would be off on wifi.

As for the Xoom out of the box not using that kind of data, I am aware, hence the thread. The only things installed on this outside of Dropbox are a few games and news readers.

Techsniffer

Reaction score
From experience I've seen data encryption mess up several programs, makes the application unable to read the data correctly since its encrypted.

RemyL75

Reaction score
I have to agree with techsnifer, not to be mean or anything either. Also, what app/method did you use to encrypt it??

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

OP
B

brockeverly

Reaction score
Was encrypted through the OS. Settings, Location and Security, Encryption.

@ techsniffer, do you think that it could skew the wifi numbers and not the 3g?

I would think that if the device truly is using this type of data, the battery would show the effects. I got over 15 hours before I plugged it in yesterday, and it was still over 30% battery. This wouldn't reflect such extreme data usage IMO

Techsniffer

Reaction score
The tech in the Xoom is newer than most devices on the market, it is possible that the app your using doesnt recognize the device (or the information fed to the app).

3G and Wifi arent the same piece of hardware so its always possible

OP
B

brockeverly

Reaction score
Downloaded TrafficStats, the USA Today app has used 3.8gb today per that app! All other apps seem to be in check, so maybe it actually is a problem.

mdjacobs

Reaction score
Here's what I would do if I were you:

1. Un-install everything you did the day the data usage went through the roof.
2. Verify you go to a nominal usage.
3. Reinstall 1 thing at a time until you find the culprit.
4. ???
5. Profit

OP
B

brockeverly

Reaction score
Uninstalled USA Today, reinstalled it, wiped stats in TrafficStats, loaded a few pages and the usage is reading like it should it seems.