Difinitive Apps to Freeze List

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Yes you could but titanium makes it so much easier!

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

c_m_chance

Reaction score
I don't know, I did most of my modifications all at once. Here's a writeup I did the other night.

Very nice write up man! I've pretty much been running all the same settings you are except for the freezing of apps (until today) (and I leave the animations on just because...well...I like them haha). But other than that I've been doing pretty good at getting about 20 or 21 hours with pretty average use for me (a lot of texting and email) before I get to 15% battery life left. I'm hoping that with the freezing of apps I can see an improvement to 24+ hours before I have to charge it.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
After charging my phone to full and then pulling the plug before i went to bed, i am at just under 90% after 9 hours, 41 minutes with a couple calls to my bosses, voicemail retrieval and about 35 texts.

Usually it would have already been at 80% just from being unplugged all night! Great write up man!

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

silver6054

Reaction score
I don't know, I did most of my modifications all at once. Here's a writeup I did the other night.

Very nice write up man! I've pretty much been running all the same settings you are except for the freezing of apps (until today) (and I leave the animations on just because...well...I like them haha). But other than that I've been doing pretty good at getting about 20 or 21 hours with pretty average use for me (a lot of texting and email) before I get to 15% battery life left. I'm hoping that with the freezing of apps I can see an improvement to 24+ hours before I have to charge it.

Please let us know! One of my concerns has been if freezing apps might really have the same issues as using task killers. Is something in the system continuously trying to start these apps and failing, which might cause no battery saving at all (or, like task killers, potentially use more with the constant attempts to start). Or is the system clever enough to detect that these apps don't exist and avoid attempts to launch?

Last edited:

xPhoenix777

Reaction score
I have not narrowed it down yet, but one of the "safe" apps made my stock calendar app close (not FC, just plain close) when I tried adding a new task and would close my stock text messaging app. Use at your own risk.

I went to Fission Rom... Not sure if I fully like it. I black screen at times, so I might SBF back and give the "safe list" another shot. Just simply freeze these programs with Titanium Backup Pro. Worth the $5!

Reaction score
I have not narrowed it down yet, but one of the "safe" apps made my stock calendar app close (not FC, just plain close) when I tried adding a new task and would close my stock text messaging app. Use at your own risk.

I went to Fission Rom... Not sure if I fully like it. I black screen at times, so I might SBF back and give the "safe list" another shot. Just simply freeze these programs with Titanium Backup Pro. Worth the $5!

Uhh... pretty sure my "safe" list includes ALL of the calendar apps. That's why I said in parenthesis next to them (If you use the calendar, don't freeze these) or something like that. I don't use the calendar, so I froze them. If you use it, you can't freeze them.

xPhoenix777

Reaction score
I didn't do anything with calendar. I think it might have been one of the "social" apps... Blur takes over the phone...

Fera6037

Reaction score
do we have a definitive way to freeze apps other than using titanium backup pro?

Fera6037

Reaction score
hey thanks for the reply man,

is there a step by step for this or can you just be a little more specific for me?

thanks

xPhoenix777

Reaction score
Well, I use the Terminal Emulator App, but you can do the same with the adb shell from the pc or mac terminal.

You need to know command line, 'cd' into the System directory and find the APKs that go with each program (use the 'ls' command to list files) then you 'mv FILENAME.apk FILENAME.bak'. Not going to go into more detail because this will take a while, especially if you don't know the command line. ALSO can mes a lot up here. Can't really brick your phone too easily, but could need you to re-flash it.

Titanium ius the best because you need the bloat on the phone (change the bak to apk) to get the OTA updates, so it has a single button un-freeze, where as command line you need to rename all the files.

Its worth the $5. I have a different ROM on my phone and it is still worth the $5 what it can do... Backups are nice with Titanium.

xPhoenix777

Reaction score

Fera6037

Reaction score
wouldnt it be possible once the phone is rooted to plug it into a computer and manually change the file extentions from .apk to .bak through say windows explorer?

Fera6037

Reaction score
oh i thought you could get into the phone as well.

so could i use the file manager from the phone once its rooted? or not? because i wouldnt think that it would be as complicated as using command lines to change all of this. once rooted and there is access to those files it seems like it should be as simple as long press and rename. then just change the .apk to .bak

i may be way off base here though