Driod RAZR freezes at night on charger

chuckh1958

Reaction score
Every 2-3 nights my razr HD freezes in the middle of the night while on the charger. I've had the phone for about a month now. It came with jelly bean preinstalled. I think it has something to do with being on the charger but not 100% sure. It never freezes during the day even though I have it plugged into my PC at work to keep it charged most of the time.

Is anyone else experiencing this? How do you fix it?

Android version4.1.2
Kernel version3.0.31-ge491d64
Build number9.8.1Q-62_VQW_MR-2

DanMcg

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me last night. Only have had the phone for three days. Phone was unusable until battery was completely dead until this morning when it was completely discharged and I put it back on the charger.

OP
C

chuckh1958

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me last night. Only have had the phone for three days. Phone was unusable until battery was completely dead until this morning when it was completely discharged and I put it back on the charger.

You can revive it by doing a soft reset - hold down the volume down button, then press and hold the power button. Keep holding both down for about 10 seconds until you see the phone rebooting. This allows you to make the phone usable again.

My complaint is that this should not be necessary. And when you use your phone as your alarm clock, you cant have it freezing in the middle of the night.

ThePolymath

Reaction score
The same thing happens to my Razr Maxx HD, except it happens every night I leave it on the charger. I have to soft reset it in the morning to get it working again. It seems to happen every time it is left on the charger overnight, but charging it for shorter periods during the day does not cause it to happen. It is irritating and since I use my phone as my alarm clock I was late for work twice when it started happening. I've had the phone a few weeks and it started doing this a few days ago. Have any of you found a solution or more info regarding the problem?

OP
C

chuckh1958

Reaction score
This update that was just announced might help. (I hope so).

DROID RAZR HD and MAXX HD Receiving Update to 9.20.1 ? Fixes Bugs, Includes Google Security Patch ? Droid Life

I just checked for updates earlier today and it was not yet available.

My solution to the problem is to not charge the phone overnight. If I charge it for 8 hrs overnight, when I wake up it's frozen. If I do the same thing during the day it never freezes. I just get it to 100% (or close to it) before I go to bed and take it off the charger. Since I started doing that a few weeks ago it has not frozen even once.

Last edited: