Droid Pro Tips <--- Post Here

PaulQ

Reaction score
Just got a DP and your pictures look like hell?

Check to see if you removed the protective film off the camera lens. Out of the box, it's not readily apparent that there is a protective film covering the lens. The best way to remove the film is to remove the phone's back cover to expose the film tab, thus making it easy for removal.

WOW - THANKS! I would have never caught this!

eus107709

Reaction score
@MJH Glad I could help! About Launcher Pro.. did you change your memory settings? I would try setting memory usage to highest and lowering it gradually as you need it. I can't comment about handcent.. I always use default text messaging app as I don't want to risk missing SMSs.

My phone didn't come with a protective film over the camera. I popped off the back just to make sure but I don't see it.. unless it's super super thin? :icon_eek:

BubbaRob

Reaction score
@MJH Glad I could help! About Launcher Pro.. did you change your memory settings? I would try setting memory usage to highest and lowering it gradually as you need it. I can't comment about handcent.. I always use default text messaging app as I don't want to risk missing SMSs.

My phone didn't come with a protective film over the camera. I popped off the back just to make sure but I don't see it.. unless it's super super thin? :icon_eek:

It is super thin and very hard to see. The rep who set me up forgot to remove it. Luckily I saw one of the corners sticking up just a bit.

M.J.H.

Reaction score
That's what really has me somewhat concerned is I don't know if the camera cover is still on or not because I don't want to scratch it thinking its there if its not!

Also there has to be SOMETHING that can be done about the battery life on this phone I love love love the phone but it only lasts a few hours!

androzza

Reaction score
By default, after zooming in on a web page to make the font size legible, you will have to scroll horizontally to read each line. If you rotate the phone to the horizontal position then immediately rotate it back, the web page will be formatted correctly.

[Hopefully in the next update they'll make this the default formatting!]

eus107709

Reaction score
That's what really has me somewhat concerned is I don't know if the camera cover is still on or not because I don't want to scratch it thinking its there if its not!

Also there has to be SOMETHING that can be done about the battery life on this phone I love love love the phone but it only lasts a few hours!

While I don't doubt that it's super thin, I'm sure mine doesn't have a film on it. If you don't see it, I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think there is a solution to the battery problem. I'm going to pick up the extended battery when I get a chance.

androzza

Reaction score
If you want to pack more things into your home screen, try Muticon. It lets you make, say, a 1x2 widget with 10 mini icons in it.

They're still easy enough to select, so you can more than quadruple the number of things you can do with one click. Works great (and it's free).

spydergirl

Reaction score
If you want to pack more things into your home screen, try Muticon. It lets you make, say, a 1x2 widget with 10 mini icons in it.

They're still easy enough to select, so you can more than quadruple the number of things you can do with one click. Works great (and it's free).

That's a really cool app, but it made my icons WAY too small and hard to see, but I like the concept. Can't figure out how to enlarge the icon squares a little bigger.

bb_or_droid

Reaction score
I don't think there is a solution to the battery problem. I'm going to pick up the extended battery when I get a chance.

I have had the extended batter since Friday. The phone is lasting longer each day. I'm 14 hours in today and at 60%. I am a very heavy email user with push email on the Gmail account and an enterprise email account (Good Enterprise Server) pushing my corp email, calendar, etc. I have also installed and played with several apps today. I am confident that the extended battery will get me through a day of normal use once it is fully conditioned.

flash24

Reaction score
If you guys are using launcher pro, you guys can actually hide apps that you don't really use.

On the home screen, hit Preference, General Settings, Hidden Apps.

flash24

Reaction score

I have had the extended batter since Friday. The phone is lasting longer each day. I'm 14 hours in today and at 60%. I am a very heavy email user with push email on the Gmail account and an enterprise email account (Good Enterprise Server) pushing my corp email, calendar, etc. I have also installed and played with several apps today. I am confident that the extended battery will get me through a day of normal use once it is fully conditioned.

I extremely satisfied with mine as well, finally a happy camper :)

flash24

Reaction score
Using Handcent SMS, press the voice search button on your keyboard and select handcent quick compose. Make sure you have quick compose enabled on Handcent settings.

I think this by far is the fastest way to compose sms.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

eus107709

Reaction score
How to disable the camera shutter sound:

1. Install Root Explorer (use caution, don't delete important system files!)
2. Go to system/media/audio/ui
3. Rename camera_click.ogg to camera_click.bak (in case you want it back)
4. In Root Explorer, MENU -> CREATE NEW FILE -> name it camera_click.ogg (empty sound file)

Done. Shouldn't take more than a minute. That should eliminate the default shutter sound, unless you are using a custom camera app with its own sounds.

This should be the FAQ thread since it actually got some replies. Can a MOD sticky it?

dmkatzenstein

Reaction score
Great stuff. For a heavy email user the saved clicks to reply and compose actually make a difference. Thanks.

Is there anything out there that brings the 'R' for Reply to Exchange/ActiveSync Email on a Droid Pro? Its the only thing I miss from my Blackberry Tour.

macstibs

Reaction score
Customize keyboard search:

Menu/Settings/Search/Searchable items

Check or Uncheck items you want/don't want in search. For myself, I only want contacts. (I would like calendar items if they were available)​

Priceless. 600 contacts and this is by FAR the easiest way to quickly search.

Combined with quick messaging, it's a powerful solution.