FAQ Thread

bhojo1

Reaction score
Hi Jonas,
Now that we have a couple of sbfs for the droid 2 global is it possible to hard brick a droid 2global ?
could we always reflash an sbf to get back to factory ?
i would expect we could always reach rom programming mode unless the rom programming code itself gets overwritten during a rom flash ( which I wouldn't expect...) Am I off here ?:icon_eek:

Unless you are sBFing, or Flashing a ROM, you should be ok. Heres how I think about it. If you phone looks like it's in what I like to call "command prompt mode" or where it's just raw script, no UI, then you should never do a battery pull until you can absolutely confirm it is frozen, usually after 5-6 minutes of no progress at all. Otherwise you risk hard bricking your phone, and sometimes even an SBF can't help you then. Hope that helps.

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
Hi Jonas,
Now that we have a couple of sbfs for the droid 2 global is it possible to hard brick a droid 2global ?
could we always reflash an sbf to get back to factory ?
i would expect we could always reach rom programming mode unless the rom programming code itself gets overwritten during a rom flash ( which I wouldn't expect...) Am I off here ?:icon_eek:

Is it possible to hard brick a D2G? Absolutely. How can you do it? I don't have an hour to write all of it down, but a faulty SBF is a good way, or messing with root files that shouldn't be toyed with is another good way to hard brick a phone. Water will hard brick a phone. But that's an obvious one. :)

With multiple SBF files, which I'm taking your word for, I only use the FROYO version Xplorer posted, you need to be certain its legit. If not, its very possible to hard brick your phone to unrecoverable status.

I hope I have answered your question. If not, feel free to reask, or rephrase, and ill do the best I can.

Also, a ROM SHOULD only soft brick your phone in the worst case scenerio. Unless something went drastictly wrong, you should not be able to hard brick your phone from just a ROM flashing alone. But that's a "should" not a definate no.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Sent from my Banana Phone

bhojo1

Reaction score
The two SBFs

2.4.330 http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global-hacks/147264-official-2-4-330-d2g-sbf-tbh.html
.4.29 Droid 2 Global SBF File (2.4.29) Full and RSDLite http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global-hacks/112313-official-d2g-sbf-tbh.html

Both Froyo.

After that you can update to gingerbread using an update.zip.
for some the 2.4.29 sbf may be better as you can unlock the baseband via an nvram hack to use at & t in the us.
TBH US GSM Band Unlock for Droid 2 Global and Pro Update.zip Public Release
you can even upgrade to gingerbread manually after that. (http://rootzwiki.com/topic/8326-d2g-gingerbread-hack-for-us-band-unlockers/)

Byakushiki

Reaction score
If you want to reboot/shut down from a state the phone is frozen in, on the hard keyboard, hold alt, shift, and delete. Your phone should shut down immediately. Good trick for those of you who otterbox your phones.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
If you want to reboot/shut down from a state the phone is frozen in, on the hard keyboard, hold alt, shift, and delete. Your phone should shut down immediately. Good trick for those of you who otterbox your phones.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Thanks can't believe I haven't tried that yet

edit: that has to be a patent violation, microsoft must own that

Sent from my DROID 2G w/4.5.608 using Droid Forum app

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
Thanks can't believe I haven't tried that yet

edit: that has to be a patent violation, microsoft must own that

Sent from my DROID 2G w/4.5.608 using Droid Forum app

I need to give someone my password or something. I never have time to get on anymore to update this thing...

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
I stickied this for you:)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

You have my enternal graditude. Does this limit any modifications I can make to the original post?

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You have my enternal graditude. Does this limit any modifications I can make to the original post?

No problem, you still have full control of your OP:)

Timetripper

Reaction score
Rck76: Good thing you stickied this post , Jonas almost got me in the ear with that last big ole Ninja chop from his Banana phone :blink:
Jonas: Tks for all your continued work on this thread ;)

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rck76: Good thing you stickied this post , Jonas almost got me in the ear with that last big ole Ninja chop from his Banana phone :blink:
Jonas: Tks for all your continued work on this thread ;)

Haha, yeah, that caught my attention too:biggrin:

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
Thanks guys. You make me look like some nobel forum member out to help the noobs. that's what the thread became. But honestly it was more of a kind way of saying stop posting "how do I root my phone" or "what ROM is best". It got kinda annoying. So I hope with this FAQ, I have atleast helped some, and cut down on the redundant threads covering the same info. Maybe ill submit pieces of it to other phone sections, and it can be used as a general FAQ for the whole boards? Who knows?

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, I believe most phones are similar except for some minor differences. Other than a few phones out there, most have a locked bootloader and require 2nd init to root.