Gingerbread and Wifi Tether

joshua05

Reaction score
Has anyone accomplished a successful wifi tether with Gingerbread yet (either with Wifi Tether or some other means)?

I have tried Wifi tether and changed the setting to Droid 2, but hit the paywall.

All of these discussions of verizon tracking rooted users (p3droid's post), paywalls, and increased billing have got me paranoid.

cuzlion

Reaction score
Tethering

WiFi tethering using the built in 3g hotspot app after applying the TBH patch works at times for me but it is not reliable, usually shows no internet connectivity, but at times it does work. So far, PDANet works fine everytime just like it used to over a USB cable. That's fine for my netbook since it also charges the phone at the same time but won't help someone with a ipad or an Android tablet that needs a wifi connection. I also have not tried PDANet without the TBN patch. I am running the leaked Gingerbread rooted version of the OS. I am still looking for a reliable wireless hot spot, I've tried everything I know including the TBH instructions for their patch but it is not working well enough to bother with.

OP
J

joshua05

Reaction score
WiFi tethering using the built in 3g hotspot app after applying the TBH patch works at times for me but it is not reliable, usually shows no internet connectivity, but at times it does work. So far, PDANet works fine everytime just like it used to over a USB cable. That's fine for my netbook since it also charges the phone at the same time but won't help someone with a ipad or an Android tablet that needs a wifi connection. I also have not tried PDANet without the TBN patch. I am running the leaked Gingerbread rooted version of the OS. I am still looking for a reliable wireless hot spot, I've tried everything I know including the TBH instructions for their patch but it is not working well enough to bother with.

Thanks for all that info... that's exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like its still a bit early as we all explore the latest update.

As for me, I just reverted back to Froyo for now. Tethering takes the highest priority of my device.

cuzlion

Reaction score
tethering

OK, this is what I found. Flash the TBH tether hack, install the Beta Wireless Tether app from the developer's site, even if you have a Droid 2 like me select the Droid X in the settings for the Beta Wireless Tether app. It tethers fine every time. I am in my car (wife driving) in rural Louisiana and getting over 1 meg 3g connect speeds on my netbook over this set up right now. Its as good as it ever was. Of course PDANet also works fine. Only mysterious issue I have is once in awhile sometime in the middle of the night my D2 will go into Airplane mode all by itself. Not every night but on random nights. Maybe related to some app I installed, It did not do it the first few weeks I was on rooted GB.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK, this is what I found. Flash the TBH tether hack, install the Beta Wireless Tether app from the developer's site, even if you have a Droid 2 like me select the Droid X in the settings for the Beta Wireless Tether app. It tethers fine every time. I am in my car (wife driving) in rural Louisiana and getting over 1 meg 3g connect speeds on my netbook over this set up right now. Its as good as it ever was. Of course PDANet also works fine. Only mysterious issue I have is once in awhile sometime in the middle of the night my D2 will go into Airplane mode all by itself. Not every night but on random nights. Maybe related to some app I installed, It did not do it the first few weeks I was on rooted GB.
I went to the wireless tether for root users developer's site, but didn't see a beta version, unless you mean the newest version. Any help?

Section8

Reaction score
Anyone have a link to the Team Black Hat Tether patch? Thanks..

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have the file if you need it. PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

If I remember correctly, it was kinda hard to find. Took awhile using Google.

Sent from my DROIDX

mjs1015

Reaction score
I got it to work just fine. Im using wirless tether 2.0.7.apk. It takes a little bit but it works. Didn't even use the tbh hack. The stock 3g hotspot app shows up when opening wireless tether but I just ignore it.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Section8

Reaction score
I got it to work just fine. Im using wirless tether 2.0.7.apk. It takes a little bit but it works. Didn't even use the tbh hack. The stock 3g hotspot app shows up when opening wireless tether but I just ignore it.

Hmm I am now using the TBH patch and it works but it kind of scares me using the built in Verizon app. I originally used the WiFi Tether 2.0.7 but when I tried to connect to the hotspot via my Xoom all I would get was the Verizon Page telling me I needed to sign up to use this feature? I tried to close it and continue on but it didn't let me off that page. I will try again later.

mjs1015

Reaction score
Yeah I had the same problem. I just turn airplane mode on and off and it worked.

rip14

Reaction score
I've tried that, and every other combination I can think of. Anything else you did to make it work?

mjs1015

Reaction score
I didn't do anything to make it work. Sometimes it takes me 5 minutes to get it to work. Its annoying but the tbh patch scares me to much to use. Sorry I couldn't help more. What rom are you using(if any).

ShortBus

Reaction score
Anyone know where i can find the TBH patch? i can't find it, all the links i've found are dead. i'm giving up..... if you can e-mail it to me? hemi38ram at gmail dot com thanks.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I sent you an email

sent from my ZombieStomped X