Google Voice

KungFuGeek

Reaction score
sounds to me like the setting for syncing was off, or background data on your phone is off.

Anyway, to each his own. I love google voice and will never go back.

Twist747

Reaction score
Please answer this...

I have GV. Actually I have 2 numbers. 1 for personal & 1 for business. Problem is, when I set up my second number, it unlinked my cell number from my first one. Is this something that can be reset? It makes sense to me that I should be able to have 2 GV #'s that forward to my 1 cell number (Droid).

Any sugestions?

JoeKacz

Reaction score
Please answer this...

I have GV. Actually I have 2 numbers. 1 for personal & 1 for business. Problem is, when I set up my second number, it unlinked my cell number from my first one. Is this something that can be reset? It makes sense to me that I should be able to have 2 GV #'s that forward to my 1 cell number (Droid).

Any sugestions?

To my knowledge, GV only allows each "real" phone number to be tied to one GV number. In other words, you can't have multiple GV numbers assigned to the same cell / land line. When you assigned it to the second number, I think it should've told you that it's going to remove it from the number it was assigned to previously.

JoeKacz

Reaction score
For me, it was more like one out of 50 came through immediately. Refresh did work, but that kinda defeated the purpose of having it. My wife had the same problem, as did a work colleague. I assumed it was a verizon visual vm issue.

I'm just curious... how would Google Voice's syncing problems be attributed to Verizon's visual vm?

ndeans

Reaction score
Lol...GV is a heck of a lot better than visual voicemail!
I'm almost sold on GV but I'm sticking with YouMail until GV allows me to upload my greeting messages as audio files. PhoneFusion allows this too. It amazes me that GV doesn't. Cell phones make horrible recorders.

WVOz1970

Reaction score
Please answer this...

Any sugestions?

I tried that too... and got a message from GV saying that it would remove the number from my first line, so I ended up forwarding to a different number.

I have not tried this suggestion, but http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/voice/thread?tid=31b141bcef8df5b7&hl=en Google Voice Help says there is a workaround. If you enter your cell number as "Home" or "Work" on both accounts, it will let you assign multiple GV accounts to the same number. The downside is that you can't call it "Mobile" on any account... so you lose text message ability if you are using GV's messaging.

Last edited:

WVOz1970

Reaction score
I'm almost sold on GV but I'm sticking with YouMail until GV allows me to upload my greeting messages as audio files. PhoneFusion allows this too. It amazes me that GV doesn't. Cell phones make horrible recorders.

I ported over a few of my audio files from YouMail by using Skype. It's a PITA workaround, but it can be done. Basically, you set the microphone in Skype to pick up the audio out of your computer. When GV calls your Skype line to let you record your message, you play back the audio file.

Can't find the website off-hand, but there's a few places with directions on how to do this if you search. Again, not the easiest, but I prefer all the other features GV offered over YouMail, so it was worth it to spend the time and do it.

ndeans

Reaction score

I ported over a few of my audio files from YouMail by using Skype. It's a PITA workaround, but it can be done. Basically, you set the microphone in Skype to pick up the audio out of your computer. When GV calls your Skype line to let you record your message, you play back the audio file.

Can't find the website off-hand, but there's a few places with directions on how to do this if you search. Again, not the easiest, but I prefer all the other features GV offered over YouMail, so it was worth it to spend the time and do it.

I would never have thought to do that... Thanks for the suggestion - I'll certainly check it out since that's one of only two things keeping me with YouMail - the other one being a local number to forward calls to.

ndeans

Reaction score

...yeah, that approach requires that I buy an online number on Skype, which I can't justify. I'm wondering if I can't do the same thing with the mp3 player on my droid...

WVOz1970

Reaction score
...yeah, that approach requires that I buy an online number on Skype, which I can't justify. I'm wondering if I can't do the same thing with the mp3 player on my droid...

Forgot about that... I had bought a number for my work since I was in Canada a lot at the time. Was worth it to call back and forth to home.

Don't know about the Droid mp3... doesn't it disable whenever the phone is active?

ndeans

Reaction score

Forgot about that... I had bought a number for my work since I was in Canada a lot at the time. Was worth it to call back and forth to home.

Don't know about the Droid mp3... doesn't it disable whenever the phone is active?

Yeah, I don't think there's any sane way to establish a greeting in GV without using your phone as a microphone. I figure sooner or later someone on the GV project will realize this and fix it. I've already sent the suggestion on their web site.

Until then it's YouMail or PhoneFusion for me.

droidx2010

Reaction score
ok - loaded up google voice, now what? How can I send text message w/out getting charged?

dangerous

Reaction score
ok - loaded up google voice, now what? How can I send text message w/out getting charged?

if you make calls you will be charged minutes as the Google Voice number is not a VZW number. If you have Friends and Family then you can add the Google Voice number as a 'friend" then all calls in and out would not be charged.

Ansextra

Reaction score
Problem is that Google Voice doesn't always use the same number all the time any more. So adding to F&F can be a problem.