Google Voice

dangerous

Reaction score
Problem is that Google Voice doesn't always use the same number all the time any more. So adding to F&F can be a problem.

I haven't really used it. have had it for almost a year i guess. Never check to see that they are changing numbers. Ya.. that would be a problem.

My issue with the SMS was, when i did use it. it was free on TXT messaging for me (both in / out)., but my wife didn't have GV and she was getting dinged for an "out of network" sms every time.

dangerous

Reaction score
Quote from that link you posted. a pain but still works.:

The better way, which will still work JUST FYI, is to just add and dial your Google Voice number from a phone number associated with it. At the main menu, press 2, then dial the number you want to call. This way, you only ever have to add your own Google Voice number to your "A-List".

Ansextra

Reaction score
It's really an extra step. You need to call your google voice number, access your account, and then press 2. It's still a good way to use F&F though... ;)

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Thanks - but that wasn't very helpful. I'll keep looking.

It does leave a bit to be desired, but that was the best one I found. I couldn't find anything at the GV site, which is weird. People claim to be using it, but the only other thing I could find was other people asking and not getting a reply.
If you find something, let me know because I was thinking of trying it or setting it up for the kid.

albert0306

Reaction score
Quoted from another forum i posted at.

So I guess google voice is an application that you can dl on your android or iphone and get free text msg. Has anyone ever done this? Is it good? I've been really wanting to get a smartphone but with minutes, texting, and a data plan, the monthly bill discouraged me from not getting it. If I take out the texting than that significantly lowers the monthly bill, enough for me to consider getting a smartphone. And since the Droid X is only a penny, now should be the time to get a phone.

harrellj

Reaction score
I have Google Voice and yes, its an app for the phone but its also a website (and where you need to go initially to get the phone number). It does do texting for free, but only through its own app. Google Voice is primarily designed to handle voicemails and to be one phone number regardless of what phone is being used. Also, Google Voice does not support MMS, nor does it support those "text a phrase to a 5 digit number and get whatever" deals.

albert0306

Reaction score
Oh okay, so should i get a minute plan and the unlimited data plan and use google voice for texting? And when I give out my phone number should I just give out my google voice number for more convenience since they'll be able to call me also with the google voice number correct?

bharrismac

Reaction score
Oh okay, so should i get a minute plan and the unlimited data plan and use google voice for texting? And when I give out my phone number should I just give out my google voice number for more convenience since they'll be able to call me also with the google voice number correct?

I generally don't send mms messages and I just give out my Google voice number for texting and use Google voice to make all calls. It works pretty well and the texts are sent as part of the data plan.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

albert0306

Reaction score
oh okay, I think I'll get a Droid X with verizon wireless then. Is there a tutorial on how to set up your google voice to your phone so that when someone text you you get a notification and it doesn't charge you and when someone calls you it goes to your phone?

bharrismac

Reaction score
oh okay, I think I'll get a Droid X with verizon wireless then. Is there a tutorial on how to set up your google voice to your phone so that when someone text you you get a notification and it doesn't charge you and when someone calls you it goes to your phone?

After you set up your voicemail after first launch, just go to the settings (press menu and settings should be under more). That's where you'll find options for text notifications.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

debracey

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

Im trying to setup Google Voice on the droid pro ---- I set the GV app to "Use GV for all calls," but for some reason when I call using the dialer app the caller on the other end still sees my regular # (ie. not my GV #).

Has anyone else noticed this? Any fix for it?

Dan

aDroidman

Reaction score
I also have had trouble with this. It seems to work when im not in wifi. Also I had to manually select it every time from my contacts. Using the dialer app doesn't seem to work right with GV.

debracey

Reaction score
Well thats a bummer --- can anyone else confirm this?

Edit: It seems that you have to make calls from the contact list -- the dialer doesn't use your GV #. So it's better than nothing I guess

Last edited: