How to correctly unroot the Incredible

jm98224

Reaction score
Thanks, I was able to find the RUU method after searching through this forum a bit more. Unfortunately it seems that there are 9 million chefs in the "how to root your droid," kitchen and the information, while widely available is very misleading if you don't look in the correct places. -- I now know to look here because you seem to have it down to a science.

THANK YOU!!! and the phone is working again!

wooddale

Reaction score
Quick question I bought a droid incredible for my wife (used) so naturally I had to play with it before I give it to her on Christmas I have it rooted Z4 temp and overclocked I want to set it back to factory settings when I do this will it loose root doesnt matter because I will probably reroot it if it does I just want to get all my contacts and crap off it or should I just try and delete them manually Thanks

OP
doug piston

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Quick question I bought a droid incredible for my wife (used) so naturally I had to play with it before I give it to her on Christmas I have it rooted Z4 temp and overclocked I want to set it back to factory settings when I do this will it loose root doesnt matter because I will probably reroot it if it does I just want to get all my contacts and crap off it or should I just try and delete them manually Thanks

Once you reboot z4root will be lost. So just factory reset and that will clear the device like it was new again.

wooddale

Reaction score
Thanks Doug. So if she wants it back allI gotta do is get it back. So if you want to permantely root the incredible you have to use the unrevoked root? I have it on my computer. What if you save the Z4 app with app list back up or it wont save because its 3rd party Thanks Larry

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you want to permanently root the phone use unrevoked by following the tutorial in my signature. z4root is always temporary.

Phonegeek

Reaction score
update

I unrooted my dinc with this method and now my phone keeps coming up with a factory update. But it won't install it. Anyone had this problem or have an answer.

OP
doug piston

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I unrooted my dinc with this method and now my phone keeps coming up with a factory update. But it won't install it. Anyone had this problem or have an answer.

What is your build number?

OP
doug piston

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
3.21.605.1 CL231334 release-keys

If you ignore the s-on portion of the OP You can easily upgrade to the 3.26 build. You can use either the PB31IMG or the RUU.

Not sure why it is stalling out on you though.

alexuk2008

Reaction score
just so everyone knows thats thinkin about downgrading with this after the 3.26.605.1 ota. doesnt work. error pops up and says "main version older would you like to reboot device?" kind of a bummer really.

It will downgrade if you have s-off. But yes it will not downgrade with s-on. This has been discussed many many times.
Hey.

Last Tues, dec 14 i got my droid incredible. it is stock 2.2, software version 3.26.605.1. I rooted the phone when I got it home that night so i could take advantage of wireless tether.
I havent installed any roms or changed anything other than rooting and clockwork recovery mod. (which I had to do because I had the black and white line screen after rooting.)
How can I unroot everything and get it all back the way it was out of the box? as I am not into installing roms and such, I only wanted the wireless tether, and I find I dont even use that as much as I thought I would. I might have to take my Incredible back for a speaker issue and am worried they wont accept it.

Thanks very much to anyone for any help you might be able to provide.

Last edited:

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you fix the black screen with white lines problem? Link is in my signature. That's the first step.

alexuk2008

Reaction score
3.21.605.1 CL231334 release-keys

If you ignore the s-on portion of the OP You can easily upgrade to the 3.26 build. You can use either the PB31IMG or the RUU.

Not sure why it is stalling out on you though.
Hey Doug.
If my build does not allow me to unroot to s-on, does that still void the warranty for a send in?
Right now Im 2.2 rooted, s-off, build ver 3.26.605.1.
Only just got the phone last week, 14th dec. and I wanted to unroot the thing so I could send it back for a speaker issue.
Just needing an unroot option.

Thanks.

wooddale

Reaction score
Did you use z4 or unrevoked if you used sr it should be done if not load z4 then you will be able to.unroot a root is aroot

alexuk2008

Reaction score
Did you use z4 or unrevoked if you used sr it should be done if not load z4 then you will be able to.unroot a root is aroot
I rooted using unrevoked 3.22.
but my build version 3.26.605.1 will not let me change to s-on before unrooting.
I can only unroot with s-off.
Does having s-off still void the warranty?

OP
doug piston

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That build number has nothing to do with not being able to get s-on. A certain radio version can but not the overall build. Need to clockwork to flash s-on though.