HTC UNLOCKING Bootloaders!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
vzw responded:

(via Phandroid)

Verizon Support: An HTC Device With an Unlocked Bootloader Cannot Be Activated on Our Network

by Quentyn Kennemer on May 27th, 2011 at 10:24 am

Following some good news from HTC’s Peter Chou that states they’ll no longer be locking down their bootloaders in future phones, one curious soul sought to clarify something with Verizon on Twitter – can we use phones with unlocked bootloaders on Verizon’s network? Their answer was quite odd, to say the least:
No, a device with an unlocked bootloader cannot be activated on the Verizon Wireless network. *RB
Funny, that, considering the HTC Incredible (the original), the Motorola Droid (the original), the HTC Eris and the Samsung Fascinate have both had their bootloaders unlocked and those who’ve done it are using those devices on Verizon’s network just fine. Of course, trying to fit an answer inside 140 characters is difficult and some packets could be lost in their need to cut down on ze words.
Verizon could be saying a couple of different things here, for all we know. They could either mean devices will not be sold unlocked out of the box or they could mean they won’t carry devices with unlockable bootloaders. In any case, it’s always important to discern between locked, encrypted bootloaders, and locked bootloaders with encrypted keys.
We’ve contacted our Verizon rep about this one, of course, so we’ll try to get the clear and complete answer from them. Sit tight, folks. [Thanks Bryan!]

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
see that's what i was afraid of...moto also said they'd be unlocking their bootloaders but the "if carriers allow" clause dissolves them of any blame if it's not done. HTC would be in the same boat.

but yeah verizon's response is odd, although i think they mean it won't be allowed in future devices and not that it can't be physically done. of course we'll need more confirmation

loki993

Reaction score
I hate to sound cynical, but I just can't imagine the carriers, or the companies concerned with DRM (blockbuster, netflix, etc.) will be ok with this. Even if the carriers are ok with it, the DRM group won't be, and the carriers are in bed with them. I guess it could turn into more of what we're already seeing - apps detecting root and not running - which, I guess, is still better than being completely locked down.

I hate to sound cynical, but I just can't imagine the carriers, or the companies concerned with DRM (blockbuster, netflix, etc.) will be ok with this. Even if the carriers are ok with it, the DRM group won't be, and the carriers are in bed with them. I guess it could turn into more of what we're already seeing - apps detecting root and not running - which, I guess, is still better than being completely locked down.

Locking the bootloader will not keep people from removing preloaded apps. Locked bootloaders I think was a security thing. And I think they should come locked from the factory and be unlockable for the consumers who want them unlocked. Some customers dont care and their are some who want that security.

Id be just fine with that.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
see that's what i was afraid of...moto also said they'd be unlocking their bootloaders but the "if carriers allow" clause dissolves them of any blame if it's not done. HTC would be in the same boat.

but yeah verizon's response is odd, although i think they mean it won't be allowed in future devices and not that it can't be physically done. of course we'll need more confirmation

I think you're right, especially given the context. Unless they write something new into it, which is possible I guess, having a locked/unlocked bootloader shouldn't affect actual activation.

wesdo2gg

Reaction score

I think you're right, especially given the context. Unless they write something new into it, which is possible I guess, having a locked/unlocked bootloader shouldn't affect actual activation.

No the bootloader shouldn't have anything to do with activating it on the network. I have a feeling this was a hasty message to VZW customers because they weren't prepared for HTC's announcement. VZW can lock their phones all they want, but to me, it sounds like HTC is going to make it MUCH easier to unlock them for those that are into that sort of thing (like most of us around here). For that, I'm happy.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

No the bootloader shouldn't have anything to do with activating it on the network. I have a feeling this was a hasty message to VZW customers because they weren't prepared for HTC's announcement. VZW can lock their phones all they want, but to me, it sounds like HTC is going to make it MUCH easier to unlock them for those that are into that sort of thing (like most of us around here). For that, I'm happy.

yeah this would be ideal, the phones are unlockable easily even if verizon wont let them be sold unlocked

bplewis24

Reaction score
This is a little old and was discussed before. They have their little escape clause in there with "where carriers allow it" and that'll be the same case with htc. Hopefully verizon will allow it.

Yes, this.

Don't get me wrong, I am just as happy about this HTC news as everybody else. But I don't get why people are saying "screw Moto, I'm not going to buy an HTC phone since they listened!" Well, Motorola came out and said ALMOST the same thing last month. The main difference is they left in the caveat about the carriers, while HTC left no caveat, but it is speculated that carriers could have the final word on things.

Bottom line: this is great news from both camps, but we'll have to wait and see how the specific details play out. What's great about this is that there is going to be some level of transparency to the process that we didn't have before. We are going to know who is responsible for any locked devices in the future.

Brandon

bplewis24

Reaction score
vzw responded:

(via Phandroid)

Verizon Support: An HTC Device With an Unlocked Bootloader Cannot Be Activated on Our Network

by Quentyn Kennemer on May 27th, 2011 at 10:24 am

Following some good news from HTC’s Peter Chou that states they’ll no longer be locking down their bootloaders in future phones, one curious soul sought to clarify something with Verizon on Twitter – can we use phones with unlocked bootloaders on Verizon’s network? Their answer was quite odd, to say the least:
No, a device with an unlocked bootloader cannot be activated on the Verizon Wireless network. *RB
Funny, that, considering the HTC Incredible (the original), the Motorola Droid (the original), the HTC Eris and the Samsung Fascinate have both had their bootloaders unlocked and those who’ve done it are using those devices on Verizon’s network just fine. Of course, trying to fit an answer inside 140 characters is difficult and some packets could be lost in their need to cut down on ze words.
Verizon could be saying a couple of different things here, for all we know. They could either mean devices will not be sold unlocked out of the box or they could mean they won’t carry devices with unlockable bootloaders. In any case, it’s always important to discern between locked, encrypted bootloaders, and locked bootloaders with encrypted keys.
We’ve contacted our Verizon rep about this one, of course, so we’ll try to get the clear and complete answer from them. Sit tight, folks. [Thanks Bryan!]

Hmmm, does anybody think it's possible they (Verizon) were thinking of "unlocked" phones, as in like an "unlocked" AT&T can be activated on T-Mobile's network?

Clearly that person who posted the response doesn't understand something about the question, because phones with unlocked bootloaders can be activated. So what were they thinking about?

Brandon

bplewis24

Reaction score
I meant to say an "unlocked" AT&T iPhone can be activated on T-Mobile's network.

On another note, howcome you can edit/delete your posts in some threads but not others?

Brandon

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I meant to say an "unlocked" AT&T iPhone can be activated on T-Mobile's network.

On another note, howcome you can edit/delete your posts in some threads but not others?

Brandon

That's true too, could just be they were talking about "unlocked" phones and not unlocked bootloaders.

As for editing, it's only not allowed in the News forum, for I'm sure time stamp purposes since a lot of the information is based on rumors, leaks etc. Helps maintain the integrity the posts, so someone can't go back and change something they were wrong about, or update a news post. And of course on the other side, so you can say you were the first one to "break" the news, and the time stamp proves it.

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I thought the TB bootloader was already unlocked? People are loading kernels so it must be unlocked... right?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought the TB bootloader was already unlocked? People are loading kernels so it must be unlocked... right?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

I believe it came locked, but was easily unlockable...it wasn't encrypted in other words. That's where the confusion comes in.

HTC says they won't lock anymore, but will Verizon just allow that to happen? Ultimately it is the carrier that decides, and Verizon is notorious for locking their stuff down. Remember the days of not even being able to put a ringtone on your phone unless you bought it through VCAST? VZW has become a little lax as of late, but it's their final decision how they want to implement the bootloader policy on phones on their network.

In other words, HTC can't just release an unlocked bootloader device without Verizon signing off on it.

The Robot Cow

Reaction score

SithDroid2187

Reaction score
I have already decided to jump ship to either HTC or Samsung. HTC is front runner as of today though.