ICS this week?

Swis21

Reaction score
rjeatkrconley said:
Do you have Google play set to auto update apps? If so, disable it. It can keep your phone awake and kill battery.

Yes i do. I can try that and see what happens although I've had that always set to auto update before ics as well as other phones before it i never had any severe battery drain.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
GSam is exactly where I'm getting my information from. It says the phone, Android system and kernel ate all keeping the phone awake. Just by looking at the phones stock battery monitor it is showing the phone is awake for quite done time without ever having the screen on. i do not believe i added anything that would cause the basic running systems to be keeping the phone awake.

Swis, your battery life is really not too bad. By your screen shot, there is definitely something running in the background but it could just be a normal process. I admit, my activity is only if I have the screen on and/or wifi on... otherwise no activity. But I have backgrounds sync disabled, all email set to manually pull and manually sync with no notification alerts except for text and calls. Facebook can also be a culprit, which I have that set the same (all manual with no notifications). And it could also be like rjeatkrconley, said... if playstore is auto updating your apps then it would be very difficult to know when that actually happens when it happens in the background.

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
Swis21 said:
Yes i do. I can try that and see what happens although I've had that always set to auto update before ics as well as other phones before it i never had any severe battery drain.

It smokes my og RAZR batterya

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Swis, your battery life is really not too bad. By your screen shot, there is definitely something running in the background but it could just be a normal process. I admit, my activity is only if I have the screen on and/or wifi on... otherwise no activity. But I have backgrounds sync disabled, all email set to manually pull and manually sync with no notification alerts except for text and calls. Facebook can also be a culprit, which I have that set the same (all manual with no notifications). And it could also be like rjeatkrconley, said... if playstore is auto updating your apps then it would be very difficult to know when that actually happens when it happens in the background.

In the Play Store, you can hit the Menu button, then "My Apps", and it will bring up a list of your installed (downloaded) apps. If you tap one of the apps, it will open and there is a box called "Allow automatic updating" ... if the box is checked it's allowed, just uncheck it. :)

Swis21

Reaction score
MattyP said:
In the Play Store, you can hit the Menu button, then "My Apps", and it will bring up a list of your installed (downloaded) apps. If you tap one of the apps, it will open and there is a box called "Allow automatic updating" ... if the box is checked it's allowed, just uncheck it. :)

I have deleted a couple unused apps either they were causing the drain I'm not sure yet, but I've also disabled auto updating apps. Ever since this recent action it is not staying awake and going through battery like it has been (which is nice) but still does not yet explain how all settings have been the same across the board until ics arrived.

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
Swis21 said:
I have deleted a couple unused apps either they were causing the drain I'm not sure yet, but I've also disabled auto updating apps. Ever since this recent action it is not staying awake and going through battery like it has been (which is nice) but still does not yet explain how all settings have been the same across the board until ics arrived.

When I updated to ics, I had to switch auto updates off in the market. Not sure why it changed, but it did. Perhaps you had it turned off in gingerbread, and it reset it self when upgraded to ics...

Swis21

Reaction score
rjeatkrconley said:
When I updated to ics, I had to switch auto updates off in the market. Not sure why it changed, but it did. Perhaps you had it turned off in gingerbread, and it reset it self when upgraded to ics...

No I'm quite sure that I've had it set to auto update for gb as will as other phones from the past and never had this issue. Unless ics is making more diligent effort to complete tasks.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It could be that since ics was a major overhaul, the market defaulted to auto update, or if you select auto update for one app, often times the market would suggest auto update for all, and if you're in the middle of typing, you can sometimes tap on the pop up and not even realize it.

It may not be the case, but I've seen it happen.. :)

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
ICS has the auto update and add shortcut to home screen options checked by default in the play store. Every ICS rom I've been on including leaks, custom and OTA has had that. Even with ICS roms on my Droid X

Sent from my DROID SPYDER

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
ICS has the auto update and add shortcut to home screen options checked by default in the play store. Every ICS rom I've been on including leaks, custom and OTA has had that. Even with ICS roms on my Droid X

Sent from my DROID SPYDER

This is 100% correct. Every time I have ever done an fdr, whether on GB or ICS, the playstore re-installs with these two set as defaults. Usually my reminder to go back and undo playstore's defaults is because I start seeing the icons on my homescreen that I didn't manually put there. The reason, on GB and ICS, that I have always set it to not auto update is because I want to be able to know exactly what the update is and what changes were made to the app before I agree to it and I don't want my phone working in the background without my knowledge.

Swis21

Reaction score
Still nothing explains the battery drain after ics was installed. I had auto update set on GB and did not see this kind of battery drain.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Swis21 said:
Still nothing explains the battery drain after ics was installed. I had auto update set on GB and did not see this kind of battery drain.

I'm pretty sure Verizon and Motorola have acknowledged some inefficiencies with ICS and battery life. My understanding is that an OTA this month is supposed to address some of those issues.

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
zomnomnombie said:
I'm pretty sure Verizon and Motorola have acknowledged some inefficiencies with ICS and battery life. My understanding is that an OTA this month is supposed to address some of those issues.

Can we just skip the patch and go straight to Jelly Bean? Lol my XOOM has it and soooo many of the features would be better on a phone...

Sent from my resurrected DROID RAZR with ICS

Swis21

Reaction score
What patch was supposed to come? I've not recurrences any update addressing this issues like what has been talked about.

Exalted911

Reaction score
What patch was supposed to come? I've not recurrences any update addressing this issues like what has been talked about.

They were going to come out with a patch to address some of the issues. there are a lot of us that have it already. Its the 215 leak. but the 215 leak has been out for a while now and yet no update yet. I am thinking there going to skip the patch and just go strait to jelly bean since they already said it was going to come out for the razr and razr maxx.