Motorola Xoom Still Better then The iPad 2 in Comparison!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Specs are pretty comparable, and at those prices the extra $70 isn't a huge deal, either, or maybe it will be ($70 is, after all, still $70). LTE could matter, but I have no idea how many people will be getting data plans with these - on top of a smartphone it's getting obscene.

Tablets aren't for me, at least not yet. I'm just going to wait until smartphones get truly beastly and I can just plug my phone into a laptop or tablet shell.

I agree, I love the concept of the Tablet but I can't justify spending the money on one when I get more functionality out of my laptop which is only slightly less portable. With the Atrix and it's docking shindig I have very high hopes for the future.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Waiting for the apple fanboys to come join the party....:icon_ banana:

Oh to compete with the Android fanboys? How is it any better to be an Android fanboy than an Apple fanboy exactly?

Anyone that truly appreciates tech will look at devices and operating systems from all angles and give credit where credit is due. Others will start hurling insults about buying something to impress friends and other nonsense. ;)

The specs of the ipad don't matter. If it has an Apple insignia on it, those who need to impress their friends will buy it. Yes, Apple products are good products, but many (perhaps most) of those buying them are doing so because Apple shows that you are with the "in" crowd. Buying a better product from another manufacturer will not accomplish that. While we will not know for a while if the ipad 2 or the XOOM is a better product in real life, I would easily buy the XOOM over the ipad 2, assuming that I could actually afford either one. :( I have played with the XOOM at the local Verizon store and I think it is a winner.

Spoken like a true Apple hater. I own an IPad because it's a nice piece of hardware. Despite what anyone says... It does what you want it to do, it does what it's meant to do... and despite not having flash I enjoy it very much (don't really frequent that many flash sites anyway). The apps are awesome because I have so many apps on there and I love the ability to just hand the device over to my 2 y/o son for him to use. I am not an apple enthusiast, I'm a tech Geek.
It doesn't matter how good specwise a product is if those boosted specs don't make the product that much better, they are not going to convert that many more people. There are no specs on the Xoom that make it "groundbreakingly" better than the IPAD 2. Quite honestly... I want to buy a xoom but i don't want the 3g/4g model.

These last two responses are exactly what is wrong with Apple. They cannot admit deficiencies.

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Specs are pretty comparable, and at those prices the extra $70 isn't a huge deal, either, or maybe it will be ($70 is, after all, still $70). LTE could matter, but I have no idea how many people will be getting data plans with these - on top of a smartphone it's getting obscene.

Tablets aren't for me, at least not yet. I'm just going to wait until smartphones get truly beastly and I can just plug my phone into a laptop or tablet shell.

I agree, I love the concept of the Tablet but I can't justify spending the money on one when I get more functionality out of my laptop which is only slightly less portable. With the Atrix and it's docking shindig I have very high hopes for the future.

Yet some people will pay up to $600 for a phone with out a contract!!!! I am having an hard time trying to figure this one out!!!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Well they might not be right for you guys but for the rest of the public they are the thing to have.

Can you bowl on your lap top by sweeping across the screen? Can you pick out a story out of ABC's evening news from a globe of news stories. Can you control what songs are being played into your sound system from your Computer with an app?

I have nothing against lap tops but really comparing them to tablets isn't what a tablets about. It's totally different. I wish I could loan you my iPad for a day you'd see what I was talking about.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well they might not be right for you guys but for the rest of the public they are the thing to have.

Can you bowl on your lap top by sweeping across the screen? Can you pick out a story out of ABC's evening news from a globe of news stories. Can you control what songs are being played into your sound system from your Computer with an app?

I have nothing against lap tops but really comparing them to tablets isn't what a tablets about. It's totally different. I wish I could loan you my iPad for a day you'd see what I was talking about.

Oh I agree Hook, they are awesome. But having a laptop for me is enough. Again that is just for me personally. I have played with an iPad many times, have a few friends and family members with them.

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState

HookBill since I have been on this Forum I seen people claim to pay up $600 or more on Phones without contracts but when it comes to a tablet which is already ready for 4G with an update $800 is too much.. What did I miss here? I am trying to grasp it...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Maybe so, but nothing you mentioned remotely sells me on a tablet. I could care less about bowling on my laptop (or any device). Just not a big gamer. I have no problem using my bookmark to ABC news. I play a lot of my music from my computer over headphones, or off a PS3, or off an XMBC server if I wanted. I simply can't justify hundreds of dollars to save myself a few seconds a few times a day on something that has a slightly better interface. I've got desktop shortcuts on my computer, I have widgets on my computer. And I like my keyboard and the ergonomics of my laptop a lot more.

Jeyman

Reaction score
I plan to hold off for one more round. come next year the price will be right for the now high end ones. When I can grab a xoom/ipad for under 400 I will jump on it.

Till then Its just way to high priced, a PC is where I will spend money like that.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
HookBill since I have been on this Forum I seen people claim to pay up $600 or more on Phones without contracts but when it comes to a tablet which is already ready for 4G with an update $800 is too much.. What did I miss here? I am trying to grasp it...

I need a phone, I have no rational need for a tablet (if I didn't have or need a laptop, I might consider a tablet). I wouldn't consider retail for a phone if my D1 wasn't simply too underpowered for what I want to do with a phone, plus the questions surrounding tiered pricing and the fact that, for the right price, I might actually save money by dropping home broadband.

And I can recover a good bit of that cost flipping my upgrade (or the retail phone) in 6 months.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

You know I have never looked at it like that, as obvious as it is, you are right on the money there. We complained about the Xoom pricing but these new phones retail for almost the same price. I mean what is in the cost of a retail phone compared to a tablet? Is the actual phone part worth that much more? I would like to see a breakdown of a newer android phones parts to the Xoom's parts.

Jeyman

Reaction score
You know I have never looked at it like that, as obvious as it is, you are right on the money there. We complained about the Xoom pricing but these new phones retail for almost the same price. I mean what is in the cost of a retail phone compared to a tablet? Is the actual phone part worth that much more? I would like to see a breakdown of a newer android phones parts to the Xoom's parts.

ya it is. Point being its a phone.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

ya it is. Point being its a phone.

yeah I pretty much figured as much. I would still like to see the cost of each part of say the Thunderbolt and then a comparable chart of the Xoom. I am interested to see just how much money is involved into making it an actual phone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Comparably speaking, the tablet is not overpriced. The point I'm trying to make is Poor Dad would buy the $800 tablet while the more frugal Rich Dad would opt for a $400 netbook.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I said it yesterday. I'm buying a wifi iPad2 on the 11th.

I'm just tired of waiting for a wifi Android 10" tablet that meets my needs. If the wifi Xoom were on the shelves I'd buy it, but who knows when that'll be. The only chance of me getting a Xoom is if they make it available (either in the stores or available for pre-order) by the time the iPad2 is in the stores next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.