My D1 & UD 3.1.0 must have been seperated at birth, because....

hrdnhvy

Reaction score
......they are a match made in heaven, I can say without question that UD 3.1.0 is the best ROM my d1 has ever experienced. By far the smoothest & quickest in every way, every app even seem more responsive, & best the battery life Ive ever seen...excellent job BD !!

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how are you getting such good battery life? Not that mine is terrible, but it could get better...

Play a jam!

wierdo124

Reaction score
Yeah seems very snappy. I think it's too early to comment on battery life though.

OP
hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy

Reaction score
Battery Life

Let me start by saying that during the week battery life is priority 1 for my droid, being that do to my job, I am unable to charge whatsoever anywhere from 9-11 hour span, so I tweak my droid as much as poosible to suit that.

Where do I begin...well I guess of course the obvious would be, not to use any live wallpapers.

For me its:
Never use live wallpapers
I dont use any widgets
Keep all locations off both gps & network
In "settings" - "wireless & networks" - "mobile networks" keep "data roaming" disabled
I keep wifi off unless I am at home, which then I have in the advanced tab, wifi sleep policy set to "when screen turns off"
I dont have or let any apps to "auto refresh" such as facebook, or weather bug, I keep them disabled from "auto refreshing"
I dont know how much an effect this has if any on battery useage, but I also have all my animations turned off, but I do that simply because it makes my phone so much snappier
I also utilize the automatic backlight tweaks that UD has, I use custom levels & settings for each.
And I know this is repeated often, but NEVER use any task killer app, I use "autostarts" from the market (that Skull One recommended) to control your apps even before they are allowed to start (if u think that is a drain)
Also, use & experiment with the advanced tab in SetCpu, I have found threw experimentation, that adjusting the "up threshold" up or down greatly affects battery drain & why is pretty obvious, in laymens terms it sets how soon your cpu ramps to 100% & more importantly it obviosly so affects how much time your cpu runs @ 100%, I have especially found that with Gingerbread this # can be set relatively high, do to the added demands Gingerbread seems to put on the cpu, its going to load the cpu harder therefore ramping up the cpu sooner, right now, looking at my droid I have my Up Threshold set to 95%, & my d1 is plenty snappy for me.

Im sure I miss some of my tweaks, if I did Ill post em as they come.

OP
hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy

Reaction score
I noticed in your signature, you have Raidzero's kernel listed, I ran a Raidzero kernel & for my d1 I was initially very impressed with its performance, but when my d1 came to sleep, it was suffering from insomnia, Im not saying this is the case for you at all & I AM IN NO WAY knocking on Raidzero's kernels, as we all know kernels are on a ph to ph basis, but I would, after several hours of being unplugged & several hours of your ph "sleeping" in settings-about phone-battery history-look what your #'s are at, especially compare the "running" & the "screen on" as well as "android system"....

Just out of curiosity, how are you getting such good battery life? Not that mine is terrible, but it could get better...

Play a jam!

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Wow thanks for the awesome write up. FYI, I'm not running raidzero anymore. I flashed chevy's lv 1ghz from rom manager and my phone likes it a lot. Thanks again man.

Play a jam!

OP
hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy

Reaction score
No problem, as much as the forums have help me, I try to be of help whenever I can.

outlaw.99

Reaction score
I didnt tweak as much as you did for battery, but I did go back and turn back the overclock to 600... The only delay I have noticed is when switching from keyboard mode... But I do run a few widgets so they have to refresh when closing keyboard....

Ripster

Reaction score
You're right...everything is phone-by-phone. Have you ran LGB 1.4? No doubt UD and Liquid are the best ROMs out there. I used UD's Froyo ROM exclusively. Then I changed to LGB as they were leading the way for Gingerbread. What are you're getting with UD that LGB is unable to give you? From what I'm reading, UD's 3.1.0 bug list is growing where Liquid's is pretty much perfected (there's still a few minor things to tweak). Let's see if you can persuade me to switch again...

outlaw.99

Reaction score
Just grabbed 3.1.1 .... It states no wipe needed if already on 3.1.0....

OP
hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy

Reaction score
I know, I dl'd it to my sd card but have yet to pull the trigger, since Im so darn impressed & pleased with 3.1.0...I might wait for a more thorough update...

outlaw.99

Reaction score
Seems pretty quick... Also a bit more polished... Could be just me though.... Still snappy even though I underclocked to 600 to reserve battery...

dredhead407

Reaction score
I am experiencing the same thing with UD 3.1.x. it could be that I just had my droid replaced so I have a new battery also but my phone has gone a full 24 hours and is at 15 percent now. Here is what I have set up:
Wifi: on only at my house
Bluetooth: off at all times
GPS: off unless I need it for obvious reasons
Brightness: changed the screen dim level to 10 and that's where I keep it all times unless I'm under the bright florida sun lol.
Clocking: Min:250 Max:800 Governor: interactive
Kernel: Deprimed #12
Setcpu profiles: Sleep: 400-400. I noticed this works best for me because when I had it at 250-250 my phone would lag so hard if I got a call or just from regular use. Battery <50: 550-700.
Animations: all animations

Will edit once I find out more things that affect my battery.

Edit: I have 11 widgets in total on my homescreens.
I use transitions for my homescreens.
I don't use live wallpapers.

In other news, did anybody realize that the gmail notification icon flickers to different colors. Thats pretty cool since the status bar never really does anything.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Last edited:

Apprazer

Reaction score
I'm extremely impressed with the way 3.1 is running on my d1. By far the best rom I've tried. Battery life is about the same since coming from the very stable 2.5

Sent from my Droid