Note 4 vs Note 5

murfeezlaw

Reaction score
Why why why would Samsung make the back not removable?

There will be no way to replace the battery, no option for a micro SD card. What happens when the battery won't hold a charge or if you want to use a spare battery? No more battery pulls? What if your phone freezes and you need to do a battery pull? What do you do? Will they charge a lot more for a phone with decent memory storage? Very disappointed...

I'm still on the Note 2. It's on it's last leg. I was going to wait till the Note 5 came out during IFA but now I'm thinking I might as well buy the Note 4. I don't like not having the option for a new battery or SD Card. What if I want to back up txt messages on an SD Card or have music/videos separate. I know the Note 5 is going to absolutely rock with the new features but not sure if the extra features over the Note 4 is worth losing out on the removable back. Is Samsung evolving into Apple??

Discussion? Does anyone disagree? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. i'm on the fence...with a slight lean toward the Note 4.

shinlee

Reaction score
I have no clue but I trust Sammy's best judgement on this. I'm enamored with the S6 and S6 Edge. While it lacks SD slot and removable battery, it is still a winner.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
A lot has happened in the smartphone world since your Note 2 was released and most folks are getting along just fine without removable batteries & ext sd cards. (I feel your pain though, I don't like it either) That said, the Note 4 is a tremendous step up from your 2, so if you must have both of these options, go with the Note 4. I can assure you that you'll be very happy with your decision.
Good luck!

S5 tap'n

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I agree murfeezlaw, I don't like the idea of not having removable storage and not being able to remove battery. But I think I am still going to jump on the note 5. There are extremely rare instances that I have had to remove the battery on my note 2 and my note 3. If there were a situation where I needed a force restart by removing the battery, like the Razr Maxx, there will be a way to do a simulated force restart. It usually involves something akin to holding power and volume buttons.

There are many many options for increasing your storage even if you do not have it on your phone. I am not comfortable with cloud storage but it has become very popular and it gives you access to your storage wherever you are. I like to keep frequent back ups of my phone, so I regularly move stuff to my PC. Not necessarily a convenient option for those that want access to everything at all times on their phone but it safely secures that you have a back up. Most likely my choice for increasing my storage while having easy access to it will be my flash drive that has both a micro USB 3 (for phone or tablet) and a USB 3 (for PC). I currently use mine because I like to have my pics on both my phone and my tablet. It is fast and convenient to copy, transfer and/or save my info on all my devices.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Let's not jump to conclusions on no SD and removable battery. Remember the Note series is more business orientated then the S series. Samsung may just be looking to draw a more distinguished line in the sand between the S and Note series. And who knows maybe it will have a crazy big battery and 128gb from the start.

Far to often in this world we all focus on nothing but negative and once that negative snowball starts rolling it gets out of control big time.

Maybe if they do opt to remove this features there will be some mind blowing software/hardware options that make the device incredible on battery life. Really for me even with pretty heavy use I could get a full day at work on the phone. I only went with the extended battery just for a little piece of mind.

Note 4Tified

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Between my Note2 and Note4 I had a G2 and no removable stuff was just fine.
It's more profitable for Samsung to have a sealed back so the Benjamins will most likely determine if they stay with current Notes removable hardware or go the route of the S6. Either way it'll still be a very good device most likely.
As stated above if removable is a deal breaker, the Note4 truly is a beast of a phone and a very worthy upgrade from the Note2. Though it has a bigger screen it feels smaller in hand due to better ergonomics, the s pen is 100% better (not that there's anything wrong with it on the Note2) , again due to ergonomics as well as software improvements, the camera is much faster and takes better shots and the overall snappiness of the phone is another win.
My only rub with non removable batteries is if I need to replace one I've got to get a refurb phone instead of just a battery. I've been using otg cables for so long I use them regularly on my Note4 and Note8 to move media off devices or add it without removing the card.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

jbal52

Reaction score
I share Murfeezlaw's comments. There have been two times I can recall in needing to remove the battery to be able to restart my frozen phone and I always liked keeping the storage in the main device by pushing it to the card. I love my Note 3 and wanted to go with a Note 5 but if rumors prove true, I'm in for a Note 4 or another brand. Actually the same freeze happened on my wife's S4 but we got it going by removing the battery and now that is gone in the S6

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I share Murfeezlaw's comments. There have been two times I can recall in needing to remove the battery to be able to restart my frozen phone and I always liked keeping the storage in the main device by pushing it to the card. I love my Note 3 and wanted to go with a Note 5 but if rumors prove true, I'm in for a Note 4 or another brand. Actually the same freeze happened on my wife's S4 but we got it going by removing the battery and now that is gone in the S6
Yes, I will struggle with no removable storage. It is just easier to move all my music, files, etc that are on my card to whatever new device I want it on. I am not so concerned with lack of a removable battery. There are very few times I've been forced to do a hard restart (remove battery bc phone froze) in the past few years. If the necessity does occur, there will be a way to do a simulated hard restart (usually involves a combination of holding down power, volume, home buttons).

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, I will struggle with no removable storage. It is just easier to move all my music, files, etc that are on my card to whatever new device I want it on. I am not so concerned with lack of a removable battery. There are very few times I've been forced to do a hard restart (remove battery bc phone froze) in the past few years. If the necessity does occur, there will be a way to do a simulated hard restart (usually involves a combination of holding down power, volume, home buttons).

On the Samsung phones and tablets I have a long press of the power button by itself will prompt a soft reset. Getting to where you can wipe the partition and stuff requires multiple buttons. Same single button long press works on my wife's iPad and iPhone. My G2 has never frozen so I've never tried to unfreeze it.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks mountainbikermark, I knew there would be a way. I know with my Maxx without the removable battery, I had to do it often but I couldn't remember what the Maxx's long press button combination was. But was confident Samsung would have a way to do the same thing.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks mountainbikermark, I knew there would be a way. I know with my Maxx without the removable battery, I had to do it often but I couldn't remember what the Maxx's long press button combination was. But was confident Samsung would have a way to do the same thing.

You're welcome.
I had my Gear S on my mind and it dawned on me my others work the same way if they freeze. My Tab has had a bug since Honeycomb , first version, where it freezes asleep after charging finishes (Note8 has same bug on 4.3 ) every now and then so I tried it on my Note4 to confirm it still works on lollipop.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

maikai

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
Let's not jump to conclusions on no SD and removable battery. Remember the Note series is more business orientated then the S series. Samsung may just be looking to draw a more distinguished line in the sand between the S and Note series. And who knows maybe it will have a crazy big battery and 128gb from the start.

Far to often in this world we all focus on nothing but negative and once that negative snowball starts rolling it gets out of control big time.

Maybe if they do opt to remove this features there will be some mind blowing software/hardware options that make the device incredible on battery life. Really for me even with pretty heavy use I could get a full day at work on the phone. I only went with the extended battery just for a little piece of mind.

Note 4Tified

Hi I a new to this forum, I wonder what you all think about the Samsung Note 4 Not having removable batter and SD card possibly. This seems like a huge mistake. I go through battery life alot, I have 3 batteries I rotate out throughout the day. What do you think I should do. Love the S-Pen Love the Note 4 but for my next phone the only thing I can think of is the LG G4??

Any thoughts

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Hi I a new to this forum, I wonder what you all think about the Samsung Note 4 Not having removable batter and SD card possibly. This seems like a huge mistake. I go through battery life alot, I have 3 batteries I rotate out throughout the day. What do you think I should do. Love the S-Pen Love the Note 4 but for my next phone the only thing I can think of is the LG G4??

Any thoughts

I used to be a batter swapper too until I purchased a 10,000 mAH external battery on Amazon. It's nice not to have to take off my case, remove the back, swap batteries, put the back back on, and then put it back into the case.

Now it is plug and play.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used to be a batter swapper too until I purchased a 10,000 mAH external battery on Amazon. It's nice not to have to take off my case, remove the back, swap batteries, put the back back on, and then put it back into the case.

Now it is plug and play.
I've got a 20kmah,a 15kmah, a 5kmah a 3kmah backup batteries and a solar charger in case those aren't enough. All of them were killer deals posted on this forum this year, the 5kmah posted in 2013.
No second battery needed for me either.
Having lollipop ensures I need extra juice on hand.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I played with the Note 5 yesterday in my local Verizon store. It is slimmer then my Note 4 and the screen is a little better my Note 4. But nothing else really stood out to make me want to give up my Note 4 for it. Another guy standing next to me had the same grips I have about no MicroSD card slot. Every one like to say use the Cloud for to make up for the lost of SD card. But how much I personally use with work and movies would cost an little fortune on the cloud and not including extra data charges for those of us that do not have unlimited data. I use drop box for my church photos and videos and 50GB was gone within a month. For now I know I made the right decision with sticking with my Note 4. If a 128GB ever get released by Verizon. I might consider buying it. I am so happy with my Note 4. Battery and MicroSD slot. It is hear to stay until Notes 6 or 128GB. What ever comes 1st.

Sent from my GNOTE4 using Tapatalk