[Official] Turbo 2 M update thread

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
You pull down the status bar, then pull down the Quick settings bar where you see all the shortcuts for things such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, airplane mode, etc. (See image below). Then while in that screen you use the eject tool for the SIM card tray and partially eject the tray. The Verizon Wireless goes to "No SIM card". Then you press the tray back in place and watch the status of the wireless network. The moment it changes to a signal level icon with no bars, you quickly tap the Hotspot shortcut. While the phone is trying to negotiate a connection to the network the Hotspot turns on, basically skipping the authentication process, then the network connects and the signal levels alert, but by then the Hotspot is on and past the authentication process so it remains on.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
717b6bccb2d933e480eebf801b916f1b.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Nifty little workaround FoxKat! The only way we may know if that still works is once one of us actually has MM would be to try it and let you know.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nifty little workaround FoxKat! The only way we may know if that still works is once one of us actually has MM would be to try it and let you know.

Well I guarantee it won't be me that tries!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
That's a cool trick FoxKat! why am I just now hearing about this?
(surely there's a "residence under rock" reference needed here) lol

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

Now who's derailing this thread? :D

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This was actually talked about by droid modder x about a week after the t2 was released..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Here's the thread on XDA.

Droid Turbo 2 Tethering

But various methods were tried with limited success. My method works every single time. Timing is the key. You have to activate the Hotspot just after the phone recognizes the SIM card and gets the network connection (signal level icon with no bars), but before Verizon authenticates the account. By having the window I screenshot opened you can do all the steps without jumping from screen to screen or having to waste time unlocking the phone while you should be hitting the Hotspot button.

Reactions: cr6

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Here's the steps...

Screen open and ready to start.
7111f3c8eb256ed4740b62cdeda131ab.jpg

Eject the tray and see the signal levels go to No SIM card.
f2c91463405276c8315a3eef35b03cbb.jpg

Now wait... Patience and timing is everything. Status changes from a SIM card with line through it, to a blank signal triangle showing the phone has gotten a handshake from the network but the SIM card is still not recognized by the network even though the phone knows it's there. This takes about 10 seconds.

This is the exact moment when you tap the Hotspot icon.
26dbe9ac3264fd8b46bd02b2aad5849c.jpg

Once tapped it takes another 5 seconds or so till the Hotspot turns on while the network recognizes the SIM card and begins to authenticate identified by the signal bars with the X net to them, and the words "No service".
6e6ecb042e0a4c48298949f6a11b7a06.jpg

Finally the network authenticates but by then the Hotspot is already active.
6ebac98b6b687814ce74b5316db16d05.jpg

All this takes about 15-20 seconds with the longest part being the wait till the SIM card is identified, about 10 seconds.

This method apparently works on a few other phones as well. There is another method that claims to eliminate the need to eject the card by simply turning Airplane mode on and then off again. My testing proves this is highly unreliable (100% failure rate for me), because the network authenticates very quickly once Airplane mode is turned back off. It happens so quickly you can't reliably hit the Hotspot button in time.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJM
OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
OK, am I the only one thinking: hey...thanks Foxcat but your first explanation was pretty crystal clear. Not sure I needed that much follow-up....and pictures?!?! :D lol
And why is the date scratched out in those pics? Weird.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK, am I the only one thinking: hey...thanks Foxcat but your first explanation was pretty crystal clear. Not sure I needed that much follow-up....and pictures?!?! :D lol
And why is the date scratched out in those pics? Weird.

I'm known for going overboard with explanation (and pictures), but not everyone has a high aptitude for this kind of stuff like you, and many people actually find great benefit. I've gotten lots of thanks for past tutorials.

I wiped out the date info simply due to an extra dose of paranoia!

P.S. It's Fox[K]at, not Cat.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I tend to do that as well. Screenshots always help when included with instructions, especially for those folks who may be less technologically inclined.
Afterall, that's what we're here for right?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Cool trick. Glad my 6P doesn't have any authentication for hotspot.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Ok, first of all I was teasing you. I know you know that. But since you felt the need to expound...
;)
I'm known for going overboard with explanation (and pictures),
I know. ;)

but not everyone has a high aptitude for this kind of stuff like you, and many people actually find great benefit.
This particular instance, I disagree. Your original write up was very concise and easily understandable to the point where I am sure ANY Android end user, even the most clueless, could have figured it out. You ARE good.
The only part I think someone might not know is how to eject the sim tray. Some people might not have ever done that, I suppose.

I've gotten lots of thanks for past tutorials.
Including a few from me, I'm sure.

Cr6 said:
I tend to do that as well. Screenshots always help when included with instructions
And as someone who think he is pretty good as writing training materials for my co-workers, I can assure you: It is easy to go overboard.
(Not saying you did FoxKat)
You don't need to show every single screen of that software installation or how to unzip that file... you need to have faith in your writing skills that you are painting such a concise picture with your words that adding too many pictures can actually be detrimental.

Wait...what were we talking about? :D