PDAnet on DX (MAC)

jimbojones

Reaction score
I loaded the latest pdanet today and had no problem running it on win7. I have been unable to get it to work on 10.6.3 and dev does not respond to problem. I even bought the full version thinking that would help...but no. I have followed their mac directions 6 times with same result..."PDAnet fail to find network interface" They mention that is should create an ethernet one during install but never has. I can turn it on on the phone with usb debug and usb storage mode but it soes nto connest...I also know it sees the phone.

Anybody have any luck on a mac?

Any way to manually create the network interface?

tia,

mr

FreyGrimrod

Reaction score
Had no problems on my mac book pro after I installed pdanet and setup the ethernet connection under settings network... turning pdanet on on the phone first before plugging in and going to connect under pdanet on the mac

Have you tried poking at settings?

Running 10.6.4 and free version of pdanet

OP
J

jimbojones

Reaction score
setup the ethernet connection under settings network

Have you tried poking at settings?

Running 10.6.4 and free version of pdanet

did YOU set up the ethernet connection or did the installer automatically do it?

what settings?...pdanet does not have any settings on the phone or mac that I can find only usb or bluetooth.

If you mean mac settings...I have no idea how to manually set up a network connection.

thanks

I tried turning little snitch off too...maybe there is some conflict?...I need to try it on another mac.

FreyGrimrod

Reaction score
It was a while ago but if I remember right I installed it didn't work then I went to network settings and it was pretty much automatic from there? Find new connection or some such? Wish I was more helpful first mac in many years don't have the os memorized anymore

Reaction score
Directions

If you have your phone currently paired with your Mac, delete the device from your macs bluetooth options. Open bluetooth preferences, select device, and hit the minus button.

Run PDAnet on your phone and select "enable bluetooth DUN". Select yes to "bluetooth permission request".

Click on the bluetooth emblem in the top bar of your mac. Select setup bluetooth device.

Click continue. Select "Mobile phone" and hit continue.

When it finds your device select it and hit continue.

When it's done gathering info hit continue.

A number will come up that you have to type into your phone, do this now and hit "OK".

Go back to your Mac and make sure that "Access the internet..." and "Use device as a network port" are both checked. Click continue.

On the next screen, your settings should be as follows:
Phone Vendor: Generic
Phone Model: Dialup Device
Username: (blank)
Password: (blank)
Phone Number: 123

Now click continue.

Click on your bluetooth icon in the top bar of your mac and put your cursor on the device, go to the drop down and select "connect to network". Voila! Internet access! :icon_ banana: Easy Peasy!

This whole process needs to be done relatively quickly to work properly. Not insanely fast, just don't step out for a nooner in the middle of it.:icon_ nono:

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

OP
J

jimbojones

Reaction score
thanks for the responses..no matter what it fails on 2 macs here. The blutooth comes close and dials in but disconnects in 1-2 secconds which is a common problem with others apparently...after readin the latest junefabrics stuff...I think the blutooth method does not work with dx and mac...just the tether.

their tech support finally did respond and offered a refund...I will probably keep it because it works fin on my win7...just frustrating I can't get it to work on mac.

Does anyone know how to manually create a network connection...or could you cut and paste the some grabs of the settings in your "en" that works???

tia

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I used this method and it worked perfectly
[video=youtube;ByU5XGi7IKI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByU5XGi7IKI]YouTube - Free Droid X Mac OS X Tethering[/video]

But with the Bluetooth on seemed to burn the battery faster. After I rooted Wireless Tether worked the best (for me)

OP
J

jimbojones

Reaction score
I tried many times to get my settings to look like the ones in that video...here are mine:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I can't get this to work...???

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Weird I just re-paired mine to check and it looks like this. Posting using the BT connection.

You are using the Bluetooth menu (on your Mac) to connect it right?

Last edited:
OP
J

jimbojones

Reaction score
is it a verizon droid x?

I'm thinking verizon might be behind this somehow?

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
is it a verizon droid x?

I'm thinking verizon might be behind this somehow?

Yep. NJot sure what to tell you other than the Wireless Tether for root is pretty easy to set up and does not seem to suck the power like BT does.

OP
J

jimbojones

Reaction score
how hard is it to root? I thought the droid x has a bomb in it to brick you?

I have jailbroken all 3 iphones I owned...is there an application like blackrain that just does it all and is simple?

tia,

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
how hard is it to root? I thought the droid x has a bomb in it to brick you?

I have jailbroken all 3 iphones I owned...is there an application like blackrain that just does it all and is simple?

tia,

I used "Easy Root" The techy in me is ashamed but it was so frickin easy. One click.

Unstable Apps - Mobile apps for a mobile world

There is eFuse on the X that will not allow you to load alternative ROMs but I can live without those... for now. They are diligently working on a way around that too.

Last edited:
OP
J

jimbojones

Reaction score
debiandog...I used easyroot and then wireless tether and it works!!!