Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Nevermind! Congrats!

Last edited:

DNoMac

Reaction score
If you have your phone currently paired with your Mac, delete the device from your macs bluetooth options. Open bluetooth preferences, select device, and hit the minus button.

Run PDAnet on your phone and select "enable bluetooth DUN". Select yes to "bluetooth permission request".

Click on the bluetooth emblem in the top bar of your mac. Select setup bluetooth device.

Click continue. Select "Mobile phone" and hit continue.

When it finds your device select it and hit continue.

When it's done gathering info hit continue.

A number will come up that you have to type into your phone, do this now and hit "OK".

Go back to your Mac and make sure that "Access the internet..." and "Use device as a network port" are both checked. Click continue.

On the next screen, your settings should be as follows:
Phone Vendor: Generic
Phone Model: Dialup Device
Username: (blank)
Password: (blank)
Phone Number: 123

Now click continue.

Click on your bluetooth icon in the top bar of your mac and put your cursor on the device, go to the drop down and select "connect to network". Voila! Internet access! :icon_ banana: Easy Peasy!

This whole process needs to be done relatively quickly to work properly. Not insanely fast, just don't step out for a nooner in the middle of it.:icon_ nono:

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

I don't mean to bump an old(er) thread, but I found this via google search after unsuccessful attempts before, and this worked like a champ. You sir are a hero and I will now build you a monument.

bobthebob

Reaction score
so...
using a Droid X with MBP Core 2 Duo running 10.6.4, I have managed to get connected via Bluetooth PAN - but not Bluetooth DUN.

both with and without PDA Net I keep getting modem related errors.
am I supposed to be connecting via 'modem'? I didn't even know I had a modem...

here's the network settings I get with BT PAN:
Network Settings BT PAN.png

here's the failure I get with BT DUN:
modem error - BT DUN.png

and here's a strange check box that *might* be related to the problem (?):
modem error - BT DUN.png

any assistance would be gratefully accepted.

cheers
b

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You did it just like this?

[video=youtube;ByU5XGi7IKI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByU5XGi7IKI]YouTube - Free Droid X Mac OS X Tethering[/video]

bobthebob

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not but I'm now having a different problem...

previously I was able to tether to my DX only by using PDANet with USB - then all of a sudden the Bluetooth connection just started working - no idea why, I didn't change anything - NOW all of a sudden my USB connection doesn't work anymore!!!!

WTF?!?

I get the following message when I try to connect using the PDANet app on my Macbook Pro:

Code:
Unable to open interface (e00002c5)

any idea what the story is? I'm very hesitant to start deleting settings in the Network panel since I at least have Bluetooth connectivity, anyone else had this issue??

cheers,
b

bobthebob

Reaction score
I considered deleting the "Ethernet (en3)" profile in the Network panel but again, am worried that this will effect my BT connection.

and since I am spending the weekend somewhere without any other Internet access this is a serious issue!

b

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I reinstalled the client (I know not mac like) and it started working last night. The Mac slept away the rest of the night and this morning same error.

chaimpeck

Reaction score
I had this issue and just solved it. I had installed EasyTether a while ago and it places a kernel extension here:
Code:
/System/Library/Extensions/EasyTetherUSBEthernet.kext

You can disable that extension by doing this (in the Terminal):
Code:
cd /System/Library/Extensions/
kextunload EasyTetherUSBEthernet.kext

You can also remove it permanently so you don't have to unload it every time.

Just unloading it should work.

If it's not EasyTether for you, check for other extensions that might be blocking the USB port for your phone. You can run kextstat to get a list of all of the loaded extensions. You can try unloading any suspicious ones and narrow down until PdaNet works.

I wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not but I'm now having a different problem...

previously I was able to tether to my DX only by using PDANet with USB - then all of a sudden the Bluetooth connection just started working - no idea why, I didn't change anything - NOW all of a sudden my USB connection doesn't work anymore!!!!

WTF?!?

I get the following message when I try to connect using the PDANet app on my Macbook Pro:

Code:

any idea what the story is? I'm very hesitant to start deleting settings in the Network panel since I at least have Bluetooth connectivity, anyone else had this issue??

cheers,
b

duckyjeez

Reaction score
PDANet Unable to open interface on Mac

I had this issue and just solved it. I had installed EasyTether a while ago and it places a kernel extension here:
Code:
/System/Library/Extensions/EasyTetherUSBEthernet.kext

You can disable that extension by doing this (in the Terminal):
Code:
cd /System/Library/Extensions/
kextunload EasyTetherUSBEthernet.kext

You can also remove it permanently so you don't have to unload it every time.

Just unloading it should work.

If it's not EasyTether for you, check for other extensions that might be blocking the USB port for your phone. You can run kextstat to get a list of all of the loaded extensions. You can try unloading any suspicious ones and narrow down until PdaNet works.

WTF?!?

Code:

cheers,
b

I'm getting the same message. I installed EasyTether on my phone and MacBook to see if it worked better than PDANet. Apparently, it screwed with my Network Preferences and now I get the PDANet error when I try to use it. I've tried uninstalling Easy Tether from my phone and Mac and reinstalling PDANet. My Network Preferences now show Ethernet (EN3) and I can't get the EN2 option back that I was using for PDANet. My phone is not rooted. How do I fix this??

torgis

Reaction score
I know this thread is a little old but I wanted to share what I learned.

I'm running PDANet for MAC 2.42 on OSX 10.6.6 and I'm seeing the same message:

The problem was that I had Eclipse and the AndroidSDK installed, which installed adb and DDMS, which detects attached devices with debugging enabled and allows you to deploy and debug applications.

Long story short, PDANet can't attach to this device because the debugger was already holding onto it. I quit Eclipse and shut down the debugger and it was able to connect.

bobthebob

Reaction score
AHA! i also use Eclipse to develop and debug Android code!

i bet that's it!

thanks alot torgis!

torgis

Reaction score
AHA! i also use Eclipse to develop and debug Android code!

i bet that's it!

thanks alot torgis!

No problem! I spent a few hours figuring that out so I figured I would share. You might need to reboot after you close eclipse and shut down any emulators you have running. Just open PDANet first and once you're connected, you can launch Eclipse and there are no port issues.

saltmarsh

Reaction score
I don't have Eclipse (I'm not even sure what it is) and I uninstalled Easy Tether and I am still getting the "unable to connect" message. I'm not sure what else to do.

I know this thread is a little old but I wanted to share what I learned.

I'm running PDANet for MAC 2.42 on OSX 10.6.6 and I'm seeing the same message:

The problem was that I had Eclipse and the AndroidSDK installed, which installed adb and DDMS, which detects attached devices with debugging enabled and allows you to deploy and debug applications.

Long story short, PDANet can't attach to this device because the debugger was already holding onto it. I quit Eclipse and shut down the debugger and it was able to connect.