Picking up a Thunderbolt? State your reasons why...

dll1477

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the TB over my DroidX. Unlocked bootloader and it's HTC is my reason.

I see comments pointing to HTC' historical attitude towards rooting (i.e. softer than MOTO who is really coming down hard on the practice). But has it really been confirmed/proven that the TB actually has an unlocked bootloader? or just that history tells us that it will be easier to root (circumvent the bootloader).

Woodstorm

Reaction score
good comments in here and good sound functional reaons to buy the TB. I'll add one more: it represents the best chance, should VZW raise the price on 4G data plans at a later date, to grandfather in at $30/mo ($24 for me. yay). I'm accelerating my last "early upgrade" and forfieting my last remaing NE2 upgrade to get in on this possibility. here's hoping the 4G data plans will start out the same as they are now, and that they dont release the TB with a 4G surcharge.

Absolutely. I have been having second thoughts about picking up the TBolt but realized I could be missing out on the opportunity to lock in to the price for future savings. Then again, Verizon is worried about taking care of their customers. They would never change pricing on data, would they?:icon_eek:

ridobe

Reaction score
I'm getting the Bolt due to my aging Eris running out of track as far as dev work goes. Time to get a device that is nasty hardware wise that will be going strong for a while with the software that gets cranked out over time.

Amen. The Eris ROM development has dropped off significantly as of late. I think I will try out the CM7 port as my last tinker with it just so I can see it then... to the back up phone drawer with stock OS.

Sent from my FroyoEris using DroidForums App

Hey, I'm all for getting the TB as well but these guys are just about to put out OMFGB (gingerbread) for the Eris. He has it working but still has a few kinks to work out. I'm running it on my Dinc now. He is selling his spare Dinc in order to subsidize a new TB. He will be creating an OMFGB for the TB as soon as it is rootable.

Element Box

Reaction score
First smartphone, why not hop in at the LTE Revolution!
Owned some Motorola phones and had awful experiences, so bring on HTC.
Sense 2.0 and online integration is another plus.
Kickstand will come in handy
4.3-inch screen is great for web surfing, videos, games, and all that jazz
Skype integration and front-facing camera
Oh and not to mention 32 GB pre-installed SD card!

Woodstorm

Reaction score
I'm getting the Bolt due to my aging Eris running out of track as far as dev work goes. Time to get a device that is nasty hardware wise that will be going strong for a while with the software that gets cranked out over time.

Amen. The Eris ROM development has dropped off significantly as of late. I think I will try out the CM7 port as my last tinker with it just so I can see it then... to the back up phone drawer with stock OS.

Sent from my FroyoEris using DroidForums App

Hey, I'm all for getting the TB as well but these guys are just about to put out OMFGB (gingerbread) for the Eris. He has it working but still has a few kinks to work out. I'm running it on my Dinc now. He is selling his spare Dinc in order to subsidize a new TB. He will be creating an OMFGB for the TB as soon as it is rootable.

GB is available now. Running it with no problems in the Eris. Link power activate!

cm7! - Android Forums

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the TB over my DroidX. Unlocked bootloader and it's HTC is my reason.

I see comments pointing to HTC' historical attitude towards rooting (i.e. softer than MOTO who is really coming down hard on the practice). But has it really been confirmed/proven that the TB actually has an unlocked bootloader? or just that history tells us that it will be easier to root (circumvent the bootloader).

You got it right, not technicaly "unlocked" but easier to permanently root. You can do more as far as controlling and customizing the device with an HTC than a Moto. HTC's recent phones have been "locked" but were easily broken in a few weeks. Moto devices can be rooted, but it is much harder and you cannot do as much with them.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
At first I wanted to wait for Optimus 2x but that won't be out for probably 6 more months so I think I'm gonna go with TB , seeing how much better is than the EVO also helped . Skip to 6:40 for the benchmarks .
[video=youtube;Y-3MOvuPFvU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-3MOvuPFvU[/video]

Arachnidus

Reaction score
Hey guys, I got my Droid 2 on the upgrade program they were offering back in August when it first released, but now I want to get a Thunderbolt. Problem is, I don't have an upgrade or $779 to spend on one. Any chance I can bludgeon Verizon into moving my last New Every 2 upgrade into, say, now?

Anybody?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
If I pick one up it would be because I can...

dll1477

Reaction score
I really thought the no physical keyboard was a deal breaker-I have been reading the forum and visited the Verizon store near where I work. My Brother has the DX and I've played with it a lot-I LOVE the size of the display. The manager at the Verizon store said that the Verizon regional phone rep came in last week and demo-ed the Thunderbolt. The manager had a DX and said the keyboard layout was far better and he had no problem typing quickly and accurately with his ham-hands. I never thought I would have a problem with spacing as I'm a woman, but more with responsiveness of the keys. I hate having to re-type because of keys not registering correctly or at all.
So waiting again until it's finally released at VZW-hopefully soon........

very good comments orthocoder. So the VZW manager (who had the DX) said that the DX keyboard was better than the TB keyboard or the other way around? I appreciate you bringing this up, as I'm (historically) a physical keyboard person too. As advanced as my opposable thumbs are, they don't like small keyboards with narrow spacing :D

msuperbauer

Reaction score
I am thinking about making the jump (Droid x now) but!! Here's what worries me.. first, battery life. My rooted Droid x lasts all day and i need that (all I hear from d.incredible owners is how bad their battery life is). Secondly- I will need a good car dock. Anyone know about those magnet x shaped things? And lastly.... I hope I can run the navigation nonstop with it plugged in and not die.. I drove like 8 hours with my x plugged in using the navigation and Pandora and talking on the phone and loved it!!! That's it.. I am mostly concerned about the battery life......

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

orthocoder

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dll1477: The keyboard on the TB was better. He said the layout was slightly different and the keys were "fatter" (maybe square as opposed to rectangular??). The screen he felt was more sensitive than his X.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

metzor

Reaction score
I'm getting it because it's a huge upgrade from my original Droid, which served me well for a about a year, but now the physical keyboard is pretty much useless, and I get force closes and sluggish performance every day (using Launcher Pro). My fiance has a Droid X, which she constantly complains about it force closing and having to do hard resets. My father has an Incredible, and it is silky smooth, and the TB obviously is a big hardware upgrade from the Inc. I also like the Sense UI on it, pretty cool.

I've been told by various people I should wait for the Bionic, or the iPhone 5, or the dual core phone from HTC etc etc, but by the time those phones come out there will be something better on the horizon I should be waiting for then. There will always be something better down the road, but this phone will be a beast, judging from the specs and all the videos. I just wish it would come out already!

MrCapcom

Reaction score
Yea I pretty much think that the TB is a upgrade from any phone even my DX. It will be able to have more custom roms than my DX and should hold me at least for 2 years. Im actually selling mines to a family member and getting the TB so as far as next gen items like frontfacing camer 8mp and 720p or higher video TB will last. I can't wait to get mines on the 24th :)