[HACKS] Safestrap Guide for Bionic

Lownignitus

Reaction score
Its told to never use quick toggle as it can ruin safestrap possibly. About only time is when you have issues with toggling safestrap.

And the files you are deleting are not the system files of the ROM in that folder. The only files in that folder are backups.

If you want a blank safe side, then just wipe and format the safe side in safestrap recovery. And install your new ROM. Which if you install a new ROM on this side you should do these steps anyways.

NEVER wipe and format the unsafe side using safestrap recovery (not that it should let you. It should be disabled in unsafe mode) you will brick your phone. As wiping the unsafe side would also delete safestrap at the same time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

jayman350

Reaction score
ok thanks for the response.

I know that I was deleting backups of the data from the safe/unsafe sides, I thought that there was more to the backup of the safe side than just data. I guess I can't do what I am looking to do b/c of the lack of a "stock" zip to flash on the safe side.

Lownignitus

Reaction score
ok thanks for the response.

I know that I was deleting backups of the data from the safe/unsafe sides, I thought that there was more to the backup of the safe side than just data. I guess I can't do what I am looking to do b/c of the lack of a "stock" zip to flash on the safe side.

I've been looking fora stock to add to the safe side but there is not right now. If you have nothing on the safe side you have no ROM.

A fresh brand new install of safestrap also shows you that all you get on the safe side is a custom ROM. If you try to load safe side with out doing a ROM install you end up with a blank black screen and the phone does nothing

chuck54

Reaction score
Is it okay to update the clock work mod recovery through ROM manager ????

Lownignitus

Reaction score
Not if your using safestrap....

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not if your using safestrap....

Correct. Do NOT update in ROM manager. May not do anything, but also may bork everything.

rwking

Reaction score
So can you help me clear up a couple of things? I tried installing safe strap and a new ROM yesterday and ended up destroying my phone. lol I just now got it back - luckily I had a nandroid backup from just before my attempt.

1. Is it correct that safestrap allows you to essentially have two ROMs simultaneously while allowing them both to access your data?

2. Can you explain the difference between safe and non-safe? - TBH, anything with the word non-safe sort of scares me, and understanding it a bit better might help.

Thanks for the write-up and thanks in advance for any advice. :)

jickracer007

Reaction score
Unsafe should scare you that is your original ROM and should not be modified under any circumstances you do all you customizations on your safe ROM hense "Safestrap"

rwking

Reaction score
So if I understand correctly... Unless you screw something up when installing your ROM and have trouble booting, you should always be able to get back to your unsafe (original) backup quite easily, correct?

Is there an advantage to using this over Bootstrap?

jickracer007

Reaction score
I found that installing it on my sd card via card reader was so much easier for me.
I also downloaded the ROMs and uploaded them via the card reader as well.
I have all the files in a briefcase on my desktop
RSD lite vrz 902 files as well, just in case of have a problem everything of need to restore my phone is a mouse click away

jickracer007

Reaction score
Correct if you read the detailed"Safestrap" sticky you have all the information needed.
You toggle the safestrap to disable safe system go back and hit reboot now

tazwing

Reaction score
I have a question about Safestrap. I am trying to use safetrap for the first time. I was running kin3tx v1.0 on .894 as a straight out rom. I have recently discovered safestrap and wanted to try that (got tired of waiting for an OTA to ICS from Motorolla) so I've been working to get my phone back to stock so I could update it to the latest .905. I was following these instructions .902 Root Method (complete) + Safestrap. Features Th3ory Axi0m ROM.
Since I was already at .905 I started with instruction 3 and got root. followed Instruction four and downloaded the Rom I wanted and went on to Fifth instruction of installing safestrap. I installed safestrap according to the instructions from guidot (thank you for the guide by the way) made backups and life was looking good but when I switched over to the safe side my phone stayed at .894. So my problem is that my non-safe stock-rooted bionic is now .905 and my safe side is at .894. I have not flashed a rom to the safe side yet but my question is. I keep seeing these roms say you need to be on .902 or .905 or you will brick dose that mean .902 on the safe side or the non-safe side since the two really don't talk to each other I am assuming it has to be on the safe side? If so then dose anybody have a sugestion as to how I can get my safe side up to .902. Or am I just being a noob and can flash the rom after wiping everything. I have looked over the forums and can not find any way to accomplish this.

Thanks
Any and all help appreciated!!!

jickracer007

Reaction score
I think you may have to re-do everything through RSD Lite and re-do motofail etc. I could be mistaken but that is what I did to get my "Bionic" running in a safe and reasonable manner.
There will be other people that are going to respond but as far as I was concerned I wasn't going to take any chances so I did a complete wipe and install of my o.s and went from .902 -.905 using regular o.t.a and than
re-installed "safestrap" to install Eclipse 3.0 because as it stands that is the only .905 build.
I am sure other people will comment shortly but this is the steps that I took.

chuck54

Reaction score
So i keep getting bootloops from pushing the menu button at the safestrap screen, i can push tje search button and be fine, but i cant get to the custom recovery. I can get into stock recovery, wipe data, and get out of my bootloop.

I transferred all my sd card data to my internal data and that gave me two safestrap folders. I deleted one and renamed the current one so the safestrapp app would create its own folder. So i uninstalled it, uninstalled the app, rebooted, installed both, rebooted, and bootlooped when i pushed the menu button at the safestrap pre-menu.

Help?

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a bad install. Did you install safestrap after you installed the safestrap app? Do you have BusyBox installed?