SamuriHL's House of Bionic FAQ

josh1980

Reaction score
Being that back in February I said:

But you know what I'm not too thrilled about(and as far as I know I can't do anything to fix it) is the ICS upgrade. When I bought my phone I was told I would be upgraded to ICS in the future. Well, I just did a Google search and now I read Q3 2012. Are you kidding me!? I would fully understand a March-May upgrade timeframe since ICS was officially released in December, but Q3! I'd be okay with a July release, but i'm expecting "delays" to push it into either late Q3 or Q4.

I'd say I did pretty good with that guess. Even went so far as to say "delays" and put it in quotes because I figured we'd be kept in the dark as to the exact reasoning, and guess what, we were delayed for officially unexplained reasons. Anyway, I see 2 outcomes:

1. Motorola really feels bad that we got screwed over, and we see a surprisingly fast release for Jelly Bean. I'm talking right before Xmas or early January. We end up being one of the first, if not THE first Motorola phones to be "upgraded" from ICS to JB. I'm expecting if we get JB first there will be alot of outcry because such an old phone gets updates before newer phones. I'll just LOL at them :D
2. Motorola doesn't care about our history, in which case we see a March release as virtually every other phone gets JB before us.

unbesorgt

Reaction score
Being that back in February I said:

I'd say I did pretty good with that guess. Even went so far as to say "delays" and put it in quotes because I figured we'd be kept in the dark as to the exact reasoning, and guess what, we were delayed for officially unexplained reasons. Anyway, I see 2 outcomes:

1. Motorola really feels bad that we got screwed over, and we see a surprisingly fast release for Jelly Bean. I'm talking right before Xmas or early January. We end up being one of the first, if not THE first Motorola phones to be "upgraded" from ICS to JB. I'm expecting if we get JB first there will be alot of outcry because such an old phone gets updates before newer phones. I'll just LOL at them :D
2. Motorola doesn't care about our history, in which case we see a March release as virtually every other phone gets JB before us.

If option 2 were true, we wouldn't be getting JB at all. In fact we probably wouldn't even be getting ICS. Keep in mind that Moto was recently purchased by Google. There has been a major change in the culture of the company. Check out Punit Soni's Google+ page for evidence of this. (He's Moto's new VP of Products, formerly a Google employee.)

josh1980

Reaction score
I'm aware of Soni's page. I had it bookmarked for a few days while I watched the posts come in. He's learned that he has to be quiet now ;)

They may care enough to give us JB because we're practically entitled to it because of the "18-month" rule, but not enough to care because we got ICS so much later than we should have. I've always thought we'd get JB only because the 18 month rule is mentioned in so many places if they didn't give it to us they'd be sued.

My point for post 2 was that if they truly feel bad, we'll be one of the first to get JB. We are pretty much the oldest phone to get ICS. If they don't feel bad, they'll put all of their "new shiny" phones ahead of us for JB and we'll be one of the last to be upgraded(again...).

Edit: I think the only reason we're really getting ICS at all is because the phone came with the promise of ICS. My box had a sticker on it that said "ICS Ready". I can imagine they'd be sued every which way if ICS didn't come to the Bionic. You have to be careful what you promise to customers, lest you be sued into oblivion. Why do you think Motorola isn't more open with dates? They don't want any more liability than they have too. Besides, every other cell phone is very quite on their schedule. Since it's par for the course they definitely aren't going to lose customers because they don't say anything.

Last edited:
OP
SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
They already said the new phones are getting it in December with old phones to come later. This isn't the same as gb to ics... This is a pretty minor update to ics.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

unbesorgt

Reaction score
I'm aware of Soni's page. I had it bookmarked for a few days while I watched the posts come in. He's learned that he has to be quiet now ;)

He hasn't been very quiet the past couple days.... ;-)

josh1980

Reaction score
They already said the new phones are getting it in December with old phones to come later. This isn't the same as gb to ics... This is a pretty minor update to ics.

Guess I know how to take it then.. I've already said it.

He hasn't been very quiet the past couple days.... ;-)

Just pulled out the bookmark. Interesting, but not exactly earth shattering.

josh1980

Reaction score
Regardless of when the Bionic gets JB, the fact that Motorola has said we will get it(and I hope they don't go back on this promise) is good for me. Just glad to see we're getting it. It would suck even more to find out JB isn't going to ever see our phones. I'm sure that JB will be our final update though. It'll be a long running phone.

I had actually commented on Soni's Google+ page, and he posted right after my post. I mentioned that the Bionic users would like to know if JB is planned. Even if it was something like "we're evaluating JB" or something, at least we knew it might come. He posted right after my post that they are trying to post a schedule that is realistic and accurate. We shall see!

OP
SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Everyone should read the HoB OP on droidrzr. It's very important that people understand it.

gaffers

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my experiences with house of bionic so that others may learn from my experiences.

I started on a rooted bionic which was safe strapped and running a custom rom. When i heard ics was releasing ota, I began the process if using HoB to get it onto my phone yesterday as I did not want to wait.

I booted into the unsafe orig system and uninstalled safestrap as per instructions.

I did not do anything else for prep, so my phone was still rooted. I downloaded the components and ran HoB following the instructions.

When the step to reboot your phone into recovery mode came around, i had trouble because the text would instantly go away. I found the instructions later written out in one of these threads detailing what was required in that step.

I attempted to boot the phone into recovery mode at this point and i recieved a message about my cdt and tree file (sorry recalling this from memory) causing an error.

I proceeded to use the repair tool in the 246, which did not solve the problem. I switched the tool into the other mode and repeated the repair, but the problem was not solved.

At this point my phone was stuck in flash mode boot failure. If your phone is stuck here, don't worry as i was able to eventually get mine working, it just took me many hours.

At this point I treated my phone like a blank slate waiting to be programmed so i attempted many different things.

First i noticed that during the HoB repair option, i was recieving a too many links error when it came to the cdt file and the other one below it. I never figured out what this meant, but i attempted the same operation on a blank stock laptop.

I recieved errors in the same spots, but this time it said something along the lines that the files did not exist.

At this point i gave up attempting to put 246 on the phone so i attempted to put 905 back on it via RSD lite. During this flashing process, it stopped at cdt once again at step 6 and would not continue.

Before that i also tried the HoB fxz, but this did not work either.

After this didnt work, I used HoB again and went through the utilities and repaired webtop. I believe this cleared one of my errors, but i still had another one. I believe i also used the factory reset utility at this point because i just wanted my phone to work.

I spent so much time running through HoB over and over and researching and attempting different methods that i am not sure if the 246 worked directly after this, but at some point after running the repair 246 again i did not receive the same errors i had been getting this whole time.

This allowed me to finally boot into recovery and finish the HoB process, and now the phone is running perfectly fine on ICS.

Id say if anyone is stuck in fastboot, dont lose hope and keep trying to trouble shoot it and isolate your problems.

OP
SamuriHL

SamuriHL

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Or just use the 246 FXZ that was released today. (The full one, not the version I put in the HoB)

Primaryforce

Reaction score
SamuriHL,

Just a simple thanks from a “lurker” who used your HOB to upgrade from a leaked version 232 to 246. I have been enjoying the benefits of ICS with 232 but was concerned as to how to update to the “official” OTA when it was finally released. Using the simple steps and files obtained from the links on the HOB faq, I was able to convert from 232 to 246 in less than 15 minutes with no loss in data and still remain rooted.

Thank you for your efforts to put together this outstanding utility.

Primaryforce.

kboggs123

Reaction score
help please

trying to flash my phone. how long does it take i downloaded the rslite then the 6.7.246 FXZ file then tried to install it and it would not install just says in progress

ldubs

Reaction score
SamuriHL,

Just a simple thanks from a “lurker” who used your HOB to upgrade from a leaked version 232 to 246. I have been enjoying the benefits of ICS with 232 but was concerned as to how to update to the “official” OTA when it was finally released. Using the simple steps and files obtained from the links on the HOB faq, I was able to convert from 232 to 246 in less than 15 minutes with no loss in data and still remain rooted.

Thank you for your efforts to put together this outstanding utility.

Primaryforce.

Likewise. I wound up having an issue running this on the windows side of bootcamp on my Mac due to (I think) compatibility with windows 7. No prob, I ran it on the Mac side, fixed the webtop issue on the windows side, rerooted and done. Great utility, great documentation. Kudos to you samurai for putting this together. Much appreciated. I'm loving ics so far and looking forward to what I can do with the new version of safestrap!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

tlarseth

Reaction score
trying to flash my phone. how long does it take i downloaded the rslite then the 6.7.246 FXZ file then tried to install it and it would not install just says in progress

What version of RSD are you using, and are you using House of Bionic? If you use the HoB script you shouldn't have an issue. Also, what version is your phone on now, have you installed a leaked update on it?