Screen Protectors are 'NOT' all created equal...

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
In my relatively short stint owning my Droid I've already seen the Pros and Cons of a few screen protectors...

I first applied the generic cut to fit ones from Walmart and was quite surprised at how clear they went on... but they did scuff up easily, probably needing replacing after a couple months.... I then got some Xtreme Guard ones off of eBay and while they are very thick and durable, they have much to be desired in terms of clarity and is a PITA to apply without quite a few airbubbles.

So are there any out there that are crystal clear and can be applied flawlessly?..without the need to apply using water??.
I was able to apply the Xtreme Guards with minimal air bubbles by breathing hot air on the screen while I was applying it to the Droid, but due to it's thickness it still looks slightly orange-peely...

Droid_2010

Reaction score
I too am wondering what the consensus is on the screen protectors. I currently have the default verizon protector(comes in 3 pack) on mine, but seems like a new bubble pops up everyday.

The thread where the user compared the Seidio case to the Otterbox had 2 videos and at one point (in the 1st video I believe) he tilted his phone at angle towards the camera and I couldn't believe how good his screen looked. He said in the video he was using the Steinheil cover.(I'm assuming the "crystal clear" one) Right now I'm considering either one of those "crystal clear" covers or one of the "InvisibleSHIELD" covers at BestBuy.(I've heard they will install and do a very good job, but will have to see it to believe it :) )

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have the Steinheil Crystal on my phone since I bought it (February), and I just replaced it for the first time. Go on easy and last for months.

bomber889

Reaction score
Steinheil crystal aren't bad, but they scratch much easier than the ones you apply with liquids.

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just reading the reviews of the two types of Steinheils seems to indicate they both have the same issues I described...either scratches easy or isn't very clear.
To my surprise the generic cut to fit ones from Walmart has been the better ones that I've tried, just have to replace them more often, but at least they go on very clear and airbubble free....and without any liquids or adhesive.

Detonation

Reaction score
The protectors that require liquid are not as hard as you're making them out to be and are far superior to the ones you mention. I'd recommended Clear Protector or Body Guardz, both are very smooth (no orange peel like Zagg) and do not scratch. I actually put a big mark on my CP and was kinda of bummed because I was expecting it to be permanent, but later than day I pulled out my phone and it was completely gone.

I've found the easiest way to apply them is to just submerge the skin in a bowl of water with a few drops of dish soap. Shake off the standing water then lay it on your device, it should be wet enough to slide around for a few seconds to position, then squeegee out the rest. And I wouldn't fret too much about getting water on your device. Just turn it off before had, pull the battery, and don't it back on until the next day so any water that seeped in has evaporated. Getting water on powered on electronics is what does the most damage.

OP
Mbk

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The protectors that require liquid are not as hard as you're making them out to be and are far superior to the ones you mention. I'd recommended Clear Protector or Body Guardz, both are very smooth (no orange peel like Zagg) and do not scratch. I actually put a big mark on my CP and was kinda of bummed because I was expecting it to be permanent, but later than day I pulled out my phone and it was completely gone.

I've found the easiest way to apply them is to just submerge the skin in a bowl of water with a few drops of dish soap. Shake off the standing water then lay it on your device, it should be wet enough to slide around for a few seconds to position, then squeegee out the rest. And I wouldn't fret too much about getting water on your device. Just turn it off before had, pull the battery, and don't it back on until the next day so any water that seeped in has evaporated. Getting water on powered on electronics is what does the most damage.

Thanks for that, I'll check out the ones you mentioned and will hope they are as clear as you state. So they go on flawless?
I haven't tried applying any with liquid or soap water..just sounded like it would be a bother, but will try dipping one in water as you stated and see if it applies flawlessly without any airbubbles.

sanitroc

Reaction score
ZAGG all the way! Greatest protector IMHO. Installation is easy enough. Tested this with a fork and steak knife, well protected screen. couldn't say as much for the metal rim outlying the screen though...didn't expect that =(. when trying to puncture the sagging product (not on the screen) it was very resistant and gave enough to not allow the knife to pass. 9.8/10 just a little pricey.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Droid_2010

Reaction score
ZAGG all the way! Greatest protector IMHO. Installation is easy enough. Tested this with a fork and steak knife, well protected screen. couldn't say as much for the metal rim outlying the screen though...didn't expect that =(. when trying to puncture the sagging product (not on the screen) it was very resistant and gave enough to not allow the knife to pass. 9.8/10 just a little pricey.

When you say "ZAGG" do you mean the "Zagg Invisible shield Screen Protector" that they sell at BestBuy?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

When you say "ZAGG" do you mean the "Zagg Invisible shield Screen Protector" that they sell at BestBuy?

One in the same :)

stevehy

Reaction score
Applied XO skins 4 months ago, no scratches or scuffs, no degradation of touch sensitivity. Relatively easy to apply (wet method) and would purchase again. Excellent clarity. xoskins.com, no affiliation, just very satisfied and also used on my 2 iPhones.

will.anaya

Reaction score

if you buy from the zagg website, they are much cheaper, if you can afford the wait.

Reaction score
I've had the Seidio on since February. No scratches on it all. It holds oil and fingerprints more than I like, but I wipe it off once a day with a microfiber cloth anyway. Screen still looks crystal clear. I set mine enxt to my wife's which doesn't have a protector and they look the same. Minus the 3 scratched on her glass from dropping the phone.

Detonation

Reaction score

Thanks for that, I'll check out the ones you mentioned and will hope they are as clear as you state. So they go on flawless?
I haven't tried applying any with liquid or soap water..just sounded like it would be a bother, but will try dipping one in water as you stated and see if it applies flawlessly without any airbubbles.

Well you still have to be careful and smooth it out, but soaking it in water helps a lot compared the the sponge/spray methods some suggest. And there will be a few small microbubbles right when you finish but they will "cure" out in a day or two.

Also note, Clear Protector has great clarity and doesn't blur the screen at all, but I did notice it adds a slight optical effect to screen on white backgrounds. Kind of like when the screen is a little wet or greasy, but not as bad and something I don't notice anymore. Body Guardz does not have this effect, but it does get marked up a little bit more (you can see it in the glare) compared to CP. I'd still recommended both over Zagg (or BSE or Phantom Skinz) for clarity and smoothness.

g8gt2012

Reaction score
I've been using the ones that come form Verizon, their called Display Protectors 3-Pack and have 'DROID' across the top. I've had one on mine since I got t around Thanksgiving. and I have very, very minimal scratches and the screen has been very clear. No water apply method, just peel place and squeegee. Dont know the price because I got these with the phone, rep asked if I wanted a free case but I took these instead.

EDIT:: When I say 'DROID' across the top, its across the top of the package not the screen protector.