Some Nexus 6P's back camera glass spontaneously shattering?

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yeah. I literally just took it out of that case I got from you & only had it out of a case for yesterday.

Can't decide if it's worth pursuing with Huawei or if I should wait & see if it gets any worse. Sticking with cases from now on even though I don't think that was a factor since I didn't drop it. At least maybe it'll hold the glass in...

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I would RMA that asap

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yikes. Good luck man.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I was just looking over their warranty again. Seems like they could deny me, but a simple visual inspection of the phone will show no signs of any dropping or other accidental damage.

Like I said, it's hardly noticeable and not enough to really bother me if it stays the way it is right now, but I promised my wife this phone would last me for 2 years this time, so it'd be really great if that glass remained intact for that time. Haha!

There's also not another phone out right now that I feel like I'd want instead, so it'd be a matter of finishing paying this one off with Affirm before I could turn around and try to finance another one. So, here's hoping that they'll either make good on it or that it doesn't get any worse.

I'll update here if/when I find out if I have any options.

The worst part, if they'll do something, is that I'll have to use the wife's old S3 as a spare if they won't send a replacement out before getting mine. I knew I shouldn't have sold my old S4 to my cousin over Christmas...

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Awe man that sucks. Definitely RMA it with Huawei. They have got to know it's an issue, not like you're the only one that's happened to

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, I swear I heard a slight little pop last night with my phone on the bedside table. Can't be sure if it was as I set it down or if it was already sitting there, but I definitely wasn't dropping it hard orr anything.

I glanced at the back glass & didn't see any issue. Just what I thought was some dirt.

A bit later, I wiped out off & investigated further. I have a hairline crack right about in the middle of the back glass.

It seems to be OK other than that, it should see if Huawei will do anything for this issue? I've seriously never dropped this phone, even on the couch. I've caught it a few times as it was on its way down, but never managed to actually have it impact on something.

Luckily, this crack doesn't go over the camera lens, flash, or auto-focus laser & its very hard to see without holding the phone in the perfect position.

If this is the worst that happens, I guess I can live with it, but I'm wondering if this crack has created a new weak point or alleviated some of the stress on that glass...

8833b76a7fb3086e4288b17ac64401ae.jpg

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Wow. Yeah this is obviously an issue, the number of people (devices) effected will be determined.

Hopefully you have no issues getting this handled. Also don't be shy to point out to them that there are recorded cases that this has happened before.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, if there's no obvious sign of damage I'd get them to fix it. Sad that companies have made us nervous about fixing defects. Of course their customer service had been great when I dealt with them last.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Bummer JK! Seems this piece of glass is way too fragile. Good luck with the replacement...keep us updated on your progress.

S5 tap'n

OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Update: Have to file a request. I have to send them 6 pictures of the device, front, back, each side so they can decide if they'll fix it. The lady I spoke with said screens/glass aren't typically covered under their warranty, but I can do this request and hope they'll make an exception.

Should find out within 2-4 days of sending those pictures if I'm approved for the repair. If approved, I'll be without this phone for 10-14 days while it's repaired.

So now I'm going to see about taking some pictures, I guess.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
10-14 days IF approved? Yikes

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Update: Have to file a request. I have to send them 6 pictures of the device, front, back, each side so they can decide if they'll fix it. The lady I spoke with said screens/glass aren't typically covered under their warranty, but I can do this request and hope they'll make an exception.

Should find out within 2-4 days of sending those pictures if I'm approved for the repair. If approved, I'll be without this phone for 10-14 days while it's repaired.

So now I'm going to see about taking some pictures, I guess.
Man I hope this works out for you.

I must admit that has been the one thing that scares me about buying outside of something like a Best Buy or carrier store is when stuff like this happens. I'm not saying people will not have issues with a certain rep at a store. But I know I can go back and be like "hey, this is a problem" and whether it is Verizon (At&t at times) or Best Buy they will usually fix it or make it right.
What made me send my One Plus back a year ago was when I read about issues people had with getting RMAs and that was enough for me to mail it back without me so much as taking the plastic off. Because when it hits the fan the last thing I want to have to do is wonder if a company I just sent $600+ to will honor their warranty.
Yeah keep us updated JK. Hope all ends well, but if not we will storm the tower.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Reactions: cr6
OP
Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Good thing I ordered a sim converter in case I have to use the wife's old s3 for a couple of weeks. That's gonna suck.

I'm not gonna hold my breath, but hopefully they'll make it right. Maybe I should mention that I've been Top Poster of the Month on a popular Android forum, (aside from being a mod). Since they're trying to break further into the US, wouldn't be good for them to have terrible service on the first "big deal" phone they released here...

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok Im not trying to tell you to be an a hole, but 14 days?

Really 14 days, they can't do better than that?

Are you having to mail it overseas where you are dealing with customs?

I will have to admit that this would be where I would start spamming their email, twitter, and facebook with the different articles highlighting this issue. Then for gp I would ask for a refund, why? Because this is a problem and my luck I would have another one crack. So I would cut my losses now, get my money back, and buy from either Google or Best Buy since I know they have a faster turn around time. I am not saying be the American that demand it right now, but I am saying 14-16 days for a problem that could very well happen again may be more than what I am willing to put up with.

Huawei - Nexus 6P 4G with 64GB Memory Cell Phone (Unlocked) - Gold