somewhat easier guide to root your droid 2

SDI

Reaction score
I know this is a little premature but when is a simpler way to root going to come out that does not require ADB? Just wondering?

It's not that hard. 10-15 minutes max.

As a matter of fact it was easy and i used your tutorial to do it. I was completely confused until i read it the way you explained it. What is your paypal so I can throw some funds your way. I believe that we should encourage helpers like you! Thanks!

darkonion

Reaction score
I know this is a little premature but when is a simpler way to root going to come out that does not require ADB? Just wondering?

It's not that hard. 10-15 minutes max.

As a matter of fact it was easy and i used your tutorial to do it. I was completely confused until i read it the way you explained it. What is your paypal so I can throw some funds your way. I believe that we should encourage helpers like you! Thanks!

Thank you, sir. Paypal is [email protected]. And thank you for all of those who have already sent a few bucks my way.

pelswick48

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else had this problem...

After attempting root, everything appears to work. Except my data connection. None of my apps requiring a data connection will work, including my browser, market, and weather. Tried reprogramming and a battery pull with no success.

Any suggestions?

Nvm...I think it was unrelated to me rooting. Seems okay now.

raw33

Reaction score
I think I might have gotten it, or at least past the part i was stuck at. I just tried it again today and looks like it should work. Just waiting for the $ to turn #...

Got through to chmod rage and ./rage and now waiting for that to reboot like instructions say. My screen on droid is the red loadup screen and has been doing this for a while. command prompt says adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re login. What should i do now? Its been like this for 10 minutes, please tell me I didnt brick my phone...

raw33

Reaction score
dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid GOT ROOT!!! THANKS FOR HELP YALL! dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid

garywkamp

Reaction score
Donwloading files now iam going to try to root my droid 2. Anyone know if the VPN app is any good for droid 2 in the market?

raw33

Reaction score
First off I know I am a noob and this probably is an easy fix. Second off, I did get my droid 2 rooted but now I am not exactly sure how to install a kernel onto my device. I am trying to download one of the kernels from Android 2.2 Kernels Released – Fixes WiFi | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog but I guess I am just confused. I have rom manager downloaded and clockwork mod. I download one of the kernels, extract to my sd card then try loading it. When I click install rom from sd card in rom manager, how do I get the kernel to load? All three files I download are shown on the sd card but none of them has a file that will load up.

mza929

Reaction score
First off I know I am a noob and this probably is an easy fix. Second off, I did get my droid 2 rooted but now I am not exactly sure how to install a kernel onto my device. I am trying to download one of the kernels from Android 2.2 Kernels Released – Fixes WiFi | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog but I guess I am just confused. I have rom manager downloaded and clockwork mod. I download one of the kernels, extract to my sd card then try loading it. When I click install rom from sd card in rom manager, how do I get the kernel to load? All three files I download are shown on the sd card but none of them has a file that will load up.

pretty sure there are not kernels out yet for the d2....

raw33

Reaction score

That could be why its not working....
So what can I do now with my droid rooted? Can I get wifi tether to work? That is probably the main reason I rooted in the first place, and then I wanted to start messing around with different roms and what not as well.

mza929

Reaction score

So what can I do now with my droid rooted? Can I get wifi tether to work? That is probably the main reason I rooted in the first place, and then I wanted to start messing around with different roms and what not as well.

go in the market and search "rooted" you will find an assortment of handy apps that you could not use before... wi-fi tether should be in there somewhere. When the roms and kernels start to come out the D2 should be hitting 1.6ghz or better, and i cant wait!!! Those roms will have wifi tether built in if im not mistaken.

raw33

Reaction score

go in the market and search "rooted" you will find an assortment of handy apps that you could not use before... wi-fi tether should be in there somewhere. When the roms and kernels start to come out the D2 should be hitting 1.6mhz or better, and i cant wait!!! Those roms will have wifi tether built in if im not mistaken.

Nice I'll take a look around. I know I'm ready to try out roms and kernels, and hopefully without bricking my phone in the process.

Edit: I see the app Wireless Tether for root users. In the prerequisite is says root and netfilter-enabled kernel. What is a netfilter-enabled kernel?

darkonion

Reaction score

go in the market and search "rooted" you will find an assortment of handy apps that you could not use before... wi-fi tether should be in there somewhere. When the roms and kernels start to come out the D2 should be hitting 1.6mhz or better, and i cant wait!!! Those roms will have wifi tether built in if im not mistaken.

Nice I'll take a look around. I know I'm ready to try out roms and kernels, and hopefully without bricking my phone in the process.

Edit: I see the app Wireless Tether for root users. In the prerequisite is says root and netfilter-enabled kernel. What is a netfilter-enabled kernel?

Don't worry about it. I was able to run that program.I would assume you would be able to as well.

l1f35ux

Reaction score
./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin. When I type this step, it's saying not found. What should I do?

darkonion

Reaction score
./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin. When I type this step, it's saying not found. What should I do?

Go here first:

xda-developers - View Single Post - How to root the Droid 2

Make sure you've done all the steps. Maybe you forgot a step? If that doesn't work, reroot from the beginning. Push all the files again. According to the directions, you need to first move the files from your computer to the SD card, and then the SD card to the phone.

I think MOST people that come across this problem is due to them not following all the directions or not copying files over correctly.

l1f35ux

Reaction score
I tried to do both ways. still saying that "./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin: not found"