text messages

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Booting into safe mode can isolate problems caused by third party or downloaded apps. Follow the steps below and try texting to your phone while in safe mode;

With the device powered on, press and hold the Power button (located on the right edge) until the Phone options prompt appears then release.
Select and hold Power off until the Restart in Safe Mode prompt appears then release.
Tap Turn On Safe Mode.
Note The restart process may take up to 45 seconds to complete.
Note Upon restart, Safe mode appears in the lower left of the unlock/home screen.
Note Notes:

With Safe Mode enabled, test device and app functionality. If the previous issue fails to occur, the cause has been isolated to a third-party app and all recently installed or updated apps should be uninstalled.
Power cycle the device to disable Safe Mode, reinstall then test each app, one at a time, to identify which is causing the problem.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Another thread on another forum yielded this;

" Step 1 - Go to your messaging inbox and make sure you're on all the threads and press the bottom left hand button and select "settings" there you will see something called "storage settings" under "text message limit" you will see something like "200 messages per conversation" select this and change it to a higher number,mine is set to 5000 which I think is the highest.

Step 2 - Under the SAME section UNCHECK the "delete old messages" box,I have noticed if you don't this can cause the same problem because if the phone reaches it's set 200 it then tries to delete the older messages to make room for the new ones - hence the silence.

I did this last night and have had my text alert EVERY time now and all the way through I hope this helps everyone as I contacted Samsung and they advised me to do the dreaded factory reset which won't solve the problem!

Please let me know if it worked for you! x"

Kelly622

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
galaxy s3
Thank you so much. I unchecked delete old messages and that seemed to do the trick. I'm so glad I found this forum. Thank you for responding in such a timely manner.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thank you so much. I unchecked delete old messages and that seemed to do the trick. I'm so glad I found this forum. Thank you for responding in such a timely manner.
So glad I was able to help. All I ask is that you pay it forward. Pass on your experience and knowledge to help someone else.

Oh, and don't be a stranger!