The OTA update failed and retries every two days...can I stop it or?

Coupe

Reaction score
So now that I have an unlocked boot loader and am rooted I have an issue.

Every time this update tries to install the phone ends up at the system recovery screen and at the bottom it says "wrong task iD 221384e : error in / cache/fumo/otapkg. Status aborted.."

This is getting old, is there anything I can do to either get it installed or stop it from hijacking my phone.

Last edited:

Bpowder33

Reaction score
after searching Ive found:

try freezing HtcDm.apk

or mr. smith posted remove/disable OTAupdate.apk

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
Thanks, its good to know that it is possible. Although, I dont know how to do wither of those things?

I will google it.

Ahh, the HTCDM is in the apps section right? I find HTC DM and HTC command service. Is it either of those?

Last edited:

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Thanks, its good to know that it is possible. Although, I dont know how to do wither of those things?

I will google it.

Ahh, the HTCDM is in the apps section right? I find HTC DM and HTC command service. Is it either of those?

ya they should both be in system apps.... you can use titanium backup to freeze system apps... try freezing the htc dm apk first then reboot... i cant really confirm for you because I'm not stock...

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
Ahh. It looks like I need another app to freeze the .APK

Any known issues with just deleting the OTAupdate.apk? I cant find it with my file explorer, does anyone know where bouts its located?

EDIT: I posted while you were typing! Thanks, I have titanium!

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
Well, I only have the free version of Titanium so I cant use it to freeze...drat.

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
Thanks....but I dont know if I want another backup software on the phone, I am guessing "Ultimate backup" will need to stay on the phone to keep it frozen? Should I consider switching from titanium to Ultimate all together? I gotta say I am pondering doing that if titanium wont even let me freeze an app, but is ultimate as good in other areas?

Bpowder33

Reaction score
Thanks....but I dont know if I want another backup software on the phone, I am guessing "Ultimate backup" will need to stay on the phone to keep it frozen? Should I consider switching from titanium to Ultimate all together? I gotta say I am pondering doing that if titanium wont even let me freeze an app, but is ultimate as good in other areas?

Ive never used ultimate but several here have highly recommended it...Ive used titanium backup PRO since the D1 days and have never had an issue...

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
I saw this on XDA forum and am going to see if it works over the next few days.

You can kill your phone from even attempting to check for any otas by using Root Explorer or something similar, go to system/app and add bak to the end of each of these files:

HtcCOTAClient.apk
HtcCOTAClient.odex

You want them to look like:

HtcCOTAClient.apkbak
HtcCOTAClient.odexbak

You could also remove them.

I just renamed them...

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
And thank you Bpowder....! If this does not work I will try ultimate.

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
Well, that didn't work, another try by big red this am.

OP
Coupe

Coupe

Reaction score
I renamed htcdm, we sill see if that works.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
I renamed htcdm, we sill see if that works.

a couple posts I read also suggested to wipe cache/dalvik cache afterwards...

if all else fails you can always flash the global ruu leak and that will stop the incoming ota...