The Unlocked Moto Z Will Only Support GSM Carriers

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

In unfortunate news today Lenovo has said that the Unlocked version of the Moto Z slated to release in the fall will only be supported on GSM networks. That is kind of a big blow. Motorola had been knocking it out of the park when it comes to developer friendliness. The Moto X Pure was released with support for all carriers which was awesome. I was able to just buy the phone direct from Motorola avoiding Verizon all together in the buying process.

I was hoping that this kind of thing would become the trend, but it seems that even Lenovo isn't keen on keeping up with this practice. They prefer getting those "exclusivity" bucks. That's all fine, but given my situation, still being on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, I may not even pick up the Moto Z. This is pretty sad, because the way that the Moto Z handles modularity looks pretty amazing. I just don't know if this phone is worth jumping through hoops to buy from Verizon.

via Droid-Life

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
And those "exclusivity" bucks just cost them the war. I Guess I can stop following them all together. Actual watchmakers are getting in on Android Wear, so the watch isn't special. And they're opting for VZW input and influence in their phone lineup, that alone will make me ignore you without further investigation.

Bye Moto.

JoeHockey

Reaction score
Moto lost me when they refused to update the Moto X 14 (verizon). I won't be buying anything else from Moto unless somewhere down the road they make their unlocked phones work on vzw. It's a shame really as the new "Z" line seems pretty interesting...I could easily see myself getting a phone and a big speaker/battery module. Oh well, their loss.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was looking at this as a next phone. I skipped the X because it didn't have fingerprint sensor. I have a Nexus 6p. I still like removable storage. But I will never buy a phone that I cannot unlock the bootloader.

Lenovo you just lost me.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
so... the one plus 3 and the moto Z won't have CDMA support.

If I didn't have my unlimited data I'd leave... I love my moto X pure, and as stated above not having to deal with VZW while buying was awesome.

/sigh... I want to rant about something right now, but it won't change anything... guess I'll have my moto X pure for 4 years before I finally upgrade to something else, just like I did my Note 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
so... the one plus 3 and the moto Z won't have CDMA support.

Only the Moto Z Unlocked. The Moto Z and the Moto Z Force (Droid), will both be available with Verizon CDMA coverage.