[THEME] Executive Series

OP
carlz28

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Before I post a potential fix, I have to ask a question to those who had issues with the FC's on the market. You said you installed the theme on a fresh install of Sapphire 1.1.1
When did you apply the theme itself?

If you did it right after the ROM, then g_apps, then theme...then reboot....You will get the FC's in the market.

You should try it by:
1. Install the ROM
2. Then install g_apps
3. Reboot
4. Let ALL of your apps restore/reinstall.....!!!! <--IMPORTATNT STEP
5. Reboot into recovery and THEN INSTALL THE THEME!

Let me know if this method works for you.
Order or installation is key to getting things working properly ;)

OP
carlz28

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
OP has been updated with detailed instructions on how to install this theme without issues.

Additionally, the "ALL METAL" theme has been updated to remove the wood-grain pulldown tab and replaced with a metal-style image....as requested by a few of you. Simply redownload the same file and re-apply the theme :)

Last edited:

mtkregs

Reaction score
Carl,
I think some of the problem was when I installed Sapphire 1.1.1 via RM. I attempted 2 installs, both of which were not successful (a problem I have never had before using RM). I did check the boxes to do a backup and data/cache wipe.

Then (after much frustration), I went the manual "pick .zip from sd card" install route...this was after another data/cache wipe. The first install was sapphire 1.1.1 update>>>gapps>>>kernel>>>BlackBar Theme. The market was not syncing my apps automatically and was only showing my purchased apps, but not installing them. Another weird thing is that only one free app was appearing (Angry Birds). I waited overnight and still none of my free apps were appearing. All free apps, other than Angry Birds, were seemingly no longer linked to my Google account.

So, I did another fresh install of sapphire/gapps/stock theme and rebooted. I then installed your theme. I had the same problems as above, but now with force close issues. I didn't know if this was related to the problems I was having prior or it was a vending.apk issue from your theme. So, I thought I would mention what happened in one of my previous posts as a heads up to you.

I returned my droid to the stock theme yesterday. After reading this morning that you updated the theme with a steel pull-down bar, I installed the theme again this morning and haven't had any problems. I set up my GEM settings colors and am happy with the way things look now on my D1. Hopefully, I can stay on Sapphire 1.1.1 for a while now, w/a mix of your theme and a couple goodies from thebowers, as I'm not enjoying flashing ROMs/updates/themes as much as I used to.

Anyways, thanks for your work on a good and clean looking theme! I sent you a little PayPal gift so you can go pick up a 6 pack of your choice.

BoddhiC

Reaction score
Wallpaper?

Probably a dumb question, but I can't seem to find the wallpaper used in your screenshots. Is it available somewhere? If not, could you post a link on the op. Sorry if I've missed something obvious :)

Another simple question. What calendar is that in the op screenshots?

OP
carlz28

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Carl,
I think some of the problem was when I installed Sapphire 1.1.1 via RM. I attempted 2 installs, both of which were not successful (a problem I have never had before using RM). I did check the boxes to do a backup and data/cache wipe.

Then (after much frustration), I went the manual "pick .zip from sd card" install route...this was after another data/cache wipe. The first install was sapphire 1.1.1 update>>>gapps>>>kernel>>>BlackBar Theme. The market was not syncing my apps automatically and was only showing my purchased apps, but not installing them. Another weird thing is that only one free app was appearing (Angry Birds). I waited overnight and still none of my free apps were appearing. All free apps, other than Angry Birds, were seemingly no longer linked to my Google account.

So, I did another fresh install of sapphire/gapps/stock theme and rebooted. I then installed your theme. I had the same problems as above, but now with force close issues. I didn't know if this was related to the problems I was having prior or it was a vending.apk issue from your theme. So, I thought I would mention what happened in one of my previous posts as a heads up to you.

I returned my droid to the stock theme yesterday. After reading this morning that you updated the theme with a steel pull-down bar, I installed the theme again this morning and haven't had any problems. I set up my GEM settings colors and am happy with the way things look now on my D1. Hopefully, I can stay on Sapphire 1.1.1 for a while now, w/a mix of your theme and a couple goodies from thebowers, as I'm not enjoying flashing ROMs/updates/themes as much as I used to.

Anyways, thanks for your work on a good and clean looking theme! I sent you a little PayPal gift so you can go pick up a 6 pack of your choice.
Thank you very much kind sir! Much appreciated! Glad everything worked out for you. These things can be tricky some times.

Probably a dumb question, but I can't seem to find the wallpaper used in your screenshots. Is it available somewhere? If not, could you post a link on the op. Sorry if I've missed something obvious :)

Another simple question. What calendar is that in the op screenshots?
Wallpaper attached :)

Mikejl

Reaction score
Here is another wallpaper that looks pretty good with Executive All Metal if anyone is interested.

stainless steel.jpg

Mike

BullDroid

Reaction score
So is the only fix for those of us having market issues re wiping and re installing everything? If so I'm just gonna live with Market issue. Doing another wipe and reinstalling everything would be a PIA especially since I just got everything set back up how i like it. Again nice work on this theme man!!

mtkregs

Reaction score
So is the only fix for those of us having market issues re wiping and re installing everything? If so I'm just gonna live with Market issue. Doing another wipe and reinstalling everything would be a PIA especially since I just got everything set back up how i like it. Again nice work on this theme man!!

Wiping and installing again did nothing for me. I had to restore all my free apps manually. Titanium backup (or the like) is your friend :)

Mikejl

Reaction score
If your gapps got installed out of order then wiping and reinstalling is about your only fix.

If you are having some other problem with the Market, you can go into Settings --> Applications --> Manage Applications --> Select "All" from the top menu --> Scroll to Market --> Long press --> clear cache and Clear Data. Reboot your droid.

This fixes some Market issues.

Mike

OP
carlz28

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The problem at hand is not the theme, nor most likely not the ROM either.

If you follow the steps I made available in the OP, there should be no problems. I follow this method every time. And others who do as well, have no issues with the market.
The problem appears to be when you are restoring app data from Titanium.
If the data that is stored in your Titanium backup is not compatible with the current release of the ROM or theme, then you will most certainly have issues.

This is what I am going to do. I will upload a version of my theme that has NO market in it. Then you will only have the market that comes with the ROM. If you still have issues after trying that version, then there is clearly something wrong with your Titanium backup. And with that, I have no way of supporting as I do not use the app.

Check the OP for the "no-market" version of the theme and try that.

mtkregs

Reaction score
To clarify my statement about Titanium backup...

Titanium Backup had nothing to do with the problems I was experiencing with my Sapphire 1.1.1 load...including the market issues I had after loading the Executive Series Theme. I use the free version of Titanium Backup and due to the fact that all of my free apps (except Angry Birds) didn't show up after installing GAPPS, Titanium Backup wasn't installed and couldn't have caused the problem. The fact is, that my 26 free apps were seemingly no longer linked with my Google account after my initial install of Sapphire 1.1.1 via ROM Manager. As I said above, I tried installing again via ROM Manager and it failed a second time...then I decided to go the manual clockwork recovery route and this is where I started seeing force close issues from the Market app. Mind you, I did wipe between each install attempt. I would agree with Carl that the Market issues probably have nothing to do with his theme nor with the Sapphire ROM. I believe it was more of an issue with the order in which the ROM, GAPPS, Kernel, and Theme were being installed via ROM Manager. I believe that CVPCS fixed that issue shortly after it was discovered. But, at that point it was too late for me as the damage was already done.

After I got a clean and functioning install of Sapphire 1.1.1, then GAPPS, then Kernel, then reboot, then Theme...I used Titanium Backup. As I wasn't going to quickly remember the 26 apps that didn't install, search for them in the Market, and install them one by one, Titanium Backup is a great shortcut for that. All I did was install Titanium Backup, scroll through the list of apps in the backup/restore menu, and installed the ones that I wanted back on the Droid. I did not restore any settings or apk files that were themed by carl in his theme. Also, installing the free apps via Titanium Backup was perfectly fine as they all were working great when I was using Sapphire 1.1.0 and 1.0.5 before that.

To wrap up my long winded post...I have installed many ROMs/Themes previously and never had this problem. My feeling is that, for me, my problems were caused by a couple bad initial installs via ROM Manager. I have been running this theme over Sapphire 1.1.1 for 4~5 days now with zero issues. It's a great theme and Sapphire is a great ROM.

bhughesiii

Reaction score
To clarify my statement about Titanium backup...

Titanium Backup had nothing to do with the problems I was experiencing with my Sapphire 1.1.1 load...including the market issues I had after loading the Executive Series Theme. I use the free version of Titanium Backup and due to the fact that all of my free apps (except Angry Birds) didn't show up after installing GAPPS, Titanium Backup wasn't installed and couldn't have caused the problem. The fact is, that my 26 free apps were seemingly no longer linked with my Google account after my initial install of Sapphire 1.1.1 via ROM Manager. As I said above, I tried installing again via ROM Manager and it failed a second time...then I decided to go the manual clockwork recovery route and this is where I started seeing force close issues from the Market app. Mind you, I did wipe between each install attempt. I would agree with Carl that the Market issues probably have nothing to do with his theme nor with the Sapphire ROM. I believe it was more of an issue with the order in which the ROM, GAPPS, Kernel, and Theme were being installed via ROM Manager. I believe that CVPCS fixed that issue shortly after it was discovered. But, at that point it was too late for me as the damage was already done.

After I got a clean and functioning install of Sapphire 1.1.1, then GAPPS, then Kernel, then reboot, then Theme...I used Titanium Backup. As I wasn't going to quickly remember the 26 apps that didn't install, search for them in the Market, and install them one by one, Titanium Backup is a great shortcut for that. All I did was install Titanium Backup, scroll through the list of apps in the backup/restore menu, and installed the ones that I wanted back on the Droid. I did not restore any settings or apk files that were themed by carl in his theme. Also, installing the free apps via Titanium Backup was perfectly fine as they all were working great when I was using Sapphire 1.1.0 and 1.0.5 before that.

To wrap up my long winded post...I have installed many ROMs/Themes previously and never had this problem. My feeling is that, for me, my problems were caused by a couple bad initial installs via ROM Manager. I have been running this theme over Sapphire 1.1.1 for 4~5 days now with zero issues. It's a great theme and Sapphire is a great ROM.

I had this issue before as well where the apps do not sync at all. What I found to help was to restore a backup, plug in your phone overnight and let sync run. Then the next day flash the new rom and your apps will install. The last time I flashed 1.1.1 I noticed that apps weren't downloading, but went into market and it said that they were downloading but none were making progress. I killed and restarted the first in the list and the rest followed.