[THEME]--Gold--DC Beta Builds

OP
JayR_

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Been thinking about this a bit. Is it still happening? Is anyone else having the same issue with my theme?
Ecsnead made a point in his blacked out apps for dc 9 and 10 thread in his section. Post # 16. I suggest taking a look at it. Its a good piece of info

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

jev

Reaction score
I've tried about everything I can think of, but I'm still getting force closes with the market after installing the gold apps .zip. It works fine without flashing the apps so I'm gonna compromise and use the blacked out apps instead.

*Edit* The blacked out market won't even show up as being installed, so I'm gonna have to be satisfied with the stock market.

OP
JayR_

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I've tried about everything I can think of, but I'm still getting force closes with the market after installing the gold apps .zip. It works fine without flashing the apps so I'm gonna compromise and use the blacked out apps instead.

*Edit* The blacked out market won't even show up as being installed, so I'm gonna have to be satisfied with the stock market.

Crap man i have to admit im stumped ..i almost wish i was having the issue so i could better be able to locate the cause. I am really sorry this is happening to you.

jev

Reaction score
Its not really that big of a deal. Everything else works and looks great. I can live with it. I just wanted the full gold experience. Its not gonna stop me from using one of the best themes out!

OP
JayR_

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well thank you for the kind words. Ill continue to ponder the issue and if i think of anything ill be sure to let you know

Do you have any suggestions for the theme?

Also if you would like any custom/personal alterations to it let me know im kind of in between ideas for now. Thinking of ideas for new themes too. But i keep coming back to this to improve lol

kratos

Reaction score
I love this theme! However, there are some issues with it.

First, when using BT and in a call, the icon in the top left corner of the notification bar is a gold colored empty battery and not the gold phone.

Second, there are many areas where the text is still black. Usually on a button or text entry box within an app. The problem here is that the background is black as well and therefore the text cannot be seen.

Third, there are many instances where the text is not gold throughout the phone. Whether it's in an email (not buttons or text boxes), web, settings screen, etc. These are as big of a problem as the black text on black background because this text is almost always black with a white background.

Finally, I like that you have a lot of themed apps, but I don't agree with the SuperUser app being themed. The reason I state this is because if there is a security or major bug fix send out, then the app cannot be updated easily.

Other than that, great job on this app. I am working to get some screenshots of these issues for you, but it is taking a while because I have to edit each screenshot to take out all my personal info.

Kratos

TheShamrock7

Reaction score
You have to go into DC settings and change your notification colors to gold that will fix your black on black issue. I believe there is 9 of them.

OP
JayR_

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

First, when using BT and in a call, the icon in the top left corner of the notification bar is a gold colored empty battery and not the gold phone.

Second, there are many areas where the text is still black. Usually on a button or text entry box within an app. The problem here is that the background is black as well and therefore the text cannot be seen.

Third, there are many instances where the text is not gold throughout the phone. Whether it's in an email (not buttons or text boxes), web, settings screen, etc. These are as big of a problem as the black text on black background because this text is almost always black with a white background.

Finally, I like that you have a lot of themed apps, but I don't agree with the SuperUser app being themed. The reason I state this is because if there is a security or major bug fix send out, then the app cannot be updated easily.

Other than that, great job on this app. I am working to get some screenshots of these issues for you, but it is taking a while because I have to edit each screenshot to take out all my personal info.

Kratos

i can updoad a fix for the text box issue, the buttons i can lighten up a bit, but some apps like the browser, and the "show pictures button" in gmail i have no control over the text color, but again i can try to lighten up the button background a bit..ill look into the gold empty batter issue also.

and like the shamrock1976 said, make sure you have all your colors set to gold, #ffedc648, by going into droid concepts settings, user interface, notification colors, i think theres about 8 or nine of them in there to change..i didnt change them for the theme since you can manually change them now..and some people may want other than gold in some spots..

as far as the super user app, only the icon is themed, when you install a rom the superuser app installs to /system anyway and the themed icon just replaces the old icon, i theme as many icons as possible just for cosmetic reasons...if the super user app is updated then you can just put it into an update.zip and flash it, it will replace the superuser app you currently have

kratos

Reaction score
You have to go into DC settings and change your notification colors to gold that will fix your black on black issue. I believe there is 9 of them.

Yep, that was the first thing I did after flashing this theme.

Kratos

i can updoad a fix for the text box issue, the buttons i can lighten up a bit, but some apps like the browser, and the "show pictures button" in gmail i have no control over the text color, but again i can try to lighten up the button background a bit..ill look into the gold empty batter issue also.

and like the shamrock1976 said, make sure you have all your colors set to gold, #ffedc648, by going into droid concepts settings, user interface, notification colors, i think theres about 8 or nine of them in there to change..i didnt change them for the theme since you can manually change them now..and some people may want other than gold in some spots..

as far as the super user app, only the icon is themed, when you install a rom the superuser app installs to /system anyway and the themed icon just replaces the old icon, i theme as many icons as possible just for cosmetic reasons...if the super user app is updated then you can just put it into an update.zip and flash it, it will replace the superuser app you currently have

I hope it works for the text on background. Here is a screenshot of it. I circled it with red. Please understand that this screenshot does not do justice to what I actually see (or can't see I should say):
black.text.gold.theme

As for the battery icon when in a BT phone call, please realize that this only happens when on a call while using BT. The gold phone appears for all other calls. Here is a screenshot:
batt.icon.gold.phone.jpg

As for the SuperUser app, it very well may have been the ROM not allowing the update to the system app. I have always been able to simply download and install the market version as an update and have it work. However, this time I tried to install SU 3.0 Private Beta 1 via the SuperUser Elite app and it failed twice (it is a 3rd party install and I have the settings set to allow such installs). I finally downloaded the app and then ripped it from location, created an update.zip and flashed that way. It worked that way and thee gold icon disappeared. I honestly hadn't even opened the original SU app and just knew that it had a gold icon. I therefore assumed that the entire app was themed and not just the icon. So, what I am trying to get at is that I am sorry for assuming.

Finally, as for the other text, I just assumed that the system text color was set for almost all other text as is the case with fonts. I probably am wrong about this and if that is the case, I may rip the font I am using (default OG Droid) and color each image and them flash that. If I ever get around to doing that, I would be more than willing to send it to you to include in your theme package. Let me know if this is something you would ever include.

Kratos

OP
JayR_

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Kratos

ok isee your screens now lol must have posted at the same time

its ok i dont mind you assuming, i was just letting you know how i break it down when i theme, in order to change the text colors for my themes i do over a hundred, if not more, .xml edits in the framework and in the apps, basically as many places to change text color as i can find, without things forceclosing, some things will start force closing if i change certain text colors, im sure theres a work around more than likely, but its probably over my head... im getting ready to test this fix out that i just finished up ...

kratos

Reaction score
Kratos

Yep. That first one is from Gmail. I get that black text on white background in a bunch of apps. And usually these apps have the themed text with other themes, even if the app isn't themed itself.

If you ned more examples, let me know... I can take more shots of other apps as well.

Kratos

OP
JayR_

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Yep. That first one is from Gmail. I get that black text on white background in a bunch of apps. And usually these apps have the themed text with other themes, even if the app isn't themed itself.

If you ned more examples, let me know... I can take more shots of other apps as well.

Kratos

alot of that text in gmail is controlled by gmail itself, not much of it is controlled by the framework where i make the majority of my edits... in gmail the majority of those text colors are found in the .smali files which is something i never touch because it uses a different value system for colors than the .xml's i edit... so basically i dont know how i guess you could say lol...sorry

OP
JayR_

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
and feel free to upload as many screens as you need to this is the best way to help me fix stuff

i support alot of themes, and this work is very tedious, i dont always catch it when i load it up for testing because i have my face in it for so long lol..

it helps to have a fresh set of eyes every now and then, so by all means anything i can fix im more than happy to do

OP
JayR_

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ok, heres what i had to do...first i lightened up the text boxes and buttons so either black or gold text is more readable..

i did have the issue of the empty battery icon showing for bluetooth call..

heres what i did..

format system
format boot
wipe data/cache factory reset
reinstall DC build 10, i want to say 10.5 would be fine too, but i did it with #10

Immediately install the stock google apps that woody provided in the betas OP

then boot up the phone and delete what ever you can out of /system to free up enough space for the theme, like the instructions say in the OP, then redownload all the theme elements (or whichever ones you need) from the op of this thread...(the main theme file has these fixes included)

in the screenshot below i only have the portion of the theme loaded that displays the bluetooth connected call icon just to show that it is working for me..

give it a shot, i know wiping and reinstalling is a pain, but these are the little things that occur when switching from build to build, theme to theme..etc without wiping..not saying that this applies to you because i dont know..but i am definately guilty of it myself from time to time lol...

your other option is to just wait until the next build is released and wipe then, because i think i saw somewhere it would be this week, in this case ill give you the fix for the text boxes and buttons to get you by until then..

just let me know what you prefer..

also thank you for pointing this stuff out for me and taking the time to upload screenshots:)

Attachments

• CAP201106212010.jpg
    CAP201106212010.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 226
OP
JayR_

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
***Updated to build 11

Please read OP thanks