Unlimited Data

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
This may be a little bit late but maybe this will help. I upgraded to the GS4 last month (subsidized through VZW) and accepted that I would lose my unlimited data. But I wasn't happy that they put the data limit on me for the current billing cycle so I called VZW to see if I could get a pass until the next billing cycle. But instead the CSR told me the exact same thing that the OP mentioned and switched my data back to unlimited. I've been waiting for the next billing cycle to see if I still had unlimited data before posting anything. New cycle and still showing unlimited!

What the CSR told me was that if you buy your phone in store they have to switch you to a capped data plan, but you can call and switch it back within 14 days. She mentioned something about being able to keep your unlimited data without switching it back and forth if you bought the phone over the phone (if that makes sense). I am on a shared plan with someone else that never gave up their unlimited data so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not, but she didn't mention anything about it being possible due to that fact. I was thinking about starting a new thread with this topic.

Whoa, that's pretty cool! I wonder if anyone else has done the same. Would be good to hear from them.

sent from my Note2 using tapatalk 4 beta

setlab

Reaction score
The only way to retain unlimited data is to buy your new phone full retail or used. That's it.

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"

When did they start that policy? 2 years ago when I got my bionic I was able to carry my unlimited data plan over and get the new phone discount.

deduct

Reaction score
They started it shortly after the bionic came out. I was able to keep my unlimited with bionic too after signing contract.

Reaction score
It would be cheaper to add another line to use its discounted phone rates. Over 20 months you will be paying $200 plus taxes, even if you get a $200 phone at the discounted rate you will still save $200 by doing this.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have unlimited data and I just spoke to a CSR from Verizon and he told me that when I upgrade I will be put in a shared plan. But can get my unlimited data plan back by having a CSR call me back with in the 14 days of my upgrade. He said a lot of people are not told this. I will see how true it is when I upgrade next week.

Thats not true.

Reaction score
Thats not true.

Uh yeah there is no way that is true. Either a really stupid rep or something maybe... I'm really not sure what is so hard to understand about keeping or losing unlimited and these threads that keep popping up. You upgrade, you lose, period. Buying a phone outright is not "upgrading". What my wife and I did to keep unlimited for her last time was to just add a third line and get whatever phone she wanted on that line. Then as soon as I get home I moved that phone to her line and put a flip phone we had in a drawer from 2006 on that third line. We can do that same thing the very next time she is due. I can keep finding new or barely used phones on Craigslist or maybe ebay. Seems like half the new or new-other phones on ebay are "like new barely used for a week". At least with Craigslist you can see what you are getting.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
does anyone remember when the unlimited data stopped and the share plan started? was looking for the dates and couldn't find it

(I bought off contract to keep unlimited)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
does anyone remember when the unlimited data stopped and the share plan started? was looking for the dates and couldn't find it

Last year, almost exactly this time...end of June 2012, I believe.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ha ha sweeeeet, that's because I've got 2 out of 4 phones that I'm determined to keep on unlimited. I've been able to upgrade 3 times without losing my unlimited since then.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have 4 lines... 2 smart 2 dumb... all eligible for upgrades... might need some tricks when the n3 drops

voodoodaddy

Reaction score

July 7, 2011. I added a line the day before and it was on July 6.

deduct

Reaction score
July 7, 2011. I added a line the day before and it was on July 6.

I bought bionic on launch day September 8th 2011 and signed 2 year contract and still kept unlimited so this date in july 2011 can't be right

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, you are right...it would be 2012.